• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling

Matt G.

Hey Guys......

What's the easiest way to rappel down out of the tree. Most of my hunting is done in the evening,, and climbing down in the dark has always made me a little nervous; especially once it gets cold.

What equipment do I need, what's the technique, and is there a way to retrieve my rappel rope?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah tons of info on here about that.

My short answer would be:
- a good rope rated for climbing, at least 30’
- a MadRock safeguard device (expensive but absolutely worth it IMO). If you don’t want this then a single rope ATC device will work. Can be had for $15-20.
- a 30’ or more length of paracord with a cheap caribeaner on the end to clip onto the end loop of your climbing rope, so you can pull your climbing rope down once you’re out of the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah tons of info on here about that.

My short answer would be:
- a good rope rated for climbing, at least 30’
- a MadRock safeguard device (expensive but absolutely worth it IMO). If you don’t want this then a single rope ATC device will work. Can be had for $15-20.
- a 30’ or more length of paracord with a cheap caribeaner on the end to clip onto the end loop of your climbing rope, so you can pull your climbing rope down once you’re out of the tree.

I would add a hollowbock to this list - like the 13” DanO sells from Sterling. Or some kind of cord or loop to use below your rap device...

Pretty neat concept but I don't think you can "hang" from it. Looks like it's sort of a fall protection/auto descend device. Would be interesting trying to remove my stick while this thing kept lowering me down.

DRT or SRT methods can be used to ascend and rappel

Wesspur has specific kits for saddle hunters

When I want to rappel I use the DRT kit to go up
Predator line and a couple Blake’s hitches

Simple

DRT or SRT methods can be used to ascend and rappel

Wesspur has specific kits for saddle hunters

When I want to rappel I use the DRT kit to go up
Predator line and a couple Blake’s hitches

Simple

That is what i like about DRT,so simple,no gizmos needed. It does take twice the rope but that is not a lot of weight.
I enjoy rapoeling down that way after climbing up with the platform climb method if i choose that.

I have a 40' length of Sterling HTP with a Kong Quick link triangle so I can easily attach the rope around the tree. I like to keep things pretty simple so I just use a Grivel Figure 8 attached to my bridge with a locking carabiner and a Beal Jammy as an autoblock clipped into one of my linesman loops. This allows me to go hands-free to remove my platform and stick on the way down. I got all this stuff through DanO at Doublesteps.

I put a small biner on my pull-up rope so I can attach it to the rappel rope about ~6" or so from the link after I have lowered my bow. This allows me to pull the rope free after I'm on the ground.

Back