• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rattlesnake from tree... I hate Mississippi..

Hailey_Phillips

SH Member
Shot a canebrake rattlesnake from my stand(yeah I was in my LW Climber, shhh). He was about 5 steps from my tree and I never saw him while walking in. I had to have walked within 2-3’ of him.
As soon as I got set up, I kept hearing something right under me. At first I sight of it, I actually thought it was a chipmunk running around under the leaves, then I realized, I was way wrong...
Waited awhile and he never would leave, and really didn’t wanna try and avoid him while stepping down outta my stand in the dark. So I went ahead and sent a Magnus Stinger into his internals. About 15 minutes and he was dead.
Needless to say, I got out the snake boots this morning and dusted them off.... I’ll be in them for the next few weeks for sure.
He was about 3.5-4’ long, as big around as my forearm, and his head was close to the size of the palm of my hand.

Attachments

• D0F6A2C5-9EB6-4BAE-94D4-7AE8501AD7AE.jpeg
    D0F6A2C5-9EB6-4BAE-94D4-7AE8501AD7AE.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 239
  • 2456729C-E841-4A26-8A33-256F4B151FE1.jpg
    2456729C-E841-4A26-8A33-256F4B151FE1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 239
  • F8513392-E0AD-4767-96B3-838EA85BC5D3.jpg
    F8513392-E0AD-4767-96B3-838EA85BC5D3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 232
  • EE3C5A63-0F7D-4D3C-8524-3712B967663F.jpg
    EE3C5A63-0F7D-4D3C-8524-3712B967663F.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 227
Hunted most of my life in south Alabama and Louisiana. I hated snakes so much I moved to Wisconsin.

I’ve been having an itch to move north for the last couple of years, mostly because of the weather honestly... but these are a close second on list of reasons...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've shot my share of water moccasins and copperheads while bow hunting. I don't mind them if I see them, but always think of the walk out in the dark. So I kill them. You pretty much have to step on them to get bitten, but I rather my odds when they are dead.

Yeah I know a lot of people are very defensive against killing snakes... I’m not one of them.. I won’t usually go out of my way to kill one, however, chilling at the base of my tree definitely writes it’s death sentence... I’ve become relaxed over the past few seasons because I haven’t been seeing them near as much, but I’m in full blown snake boot mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot a canebrake rattlesnake from my stand(yeah I was in my LW Climber, shhh). He was about 5 steps from my tree and I never saw him while walking in. I had to have walked within 2-3’ of him.
As soon as I got set up, I kept hearing something right under me. At first I sight of it, I actually thought it was a chipmunk running around under the leaves, then I realized, I was way wrong...
Waited awhile and he never would leave, and really didn’t wanna try and avoid him while stepping down outta my stand in the dark. So I went ahead and sent a Magnus Stinger into his internals. About 15 minutes and he was dead.
Needless to say, I got out the snake boots this morning and dusted them off.... I’ll be in them for the next few weeks for sure.
He was about 3.5-4’ long, as big around as my forearm, and his head was close to the size of the palm of my hand.
Yeah I think I‘ll stay hunting in the cold up here in Michigan. You guys can worry about alligators, snakes and wild @Nutterbuster

Did you at least eat it? I’ve heard snake is really good over the fire.

Was hunting off the ground in central Florida a couple weeks ago and thought I heard a lizard from time to time....It was a 4 ft moccasin coming straight my way about 5 ft away. I waited until he was 3 ft away to stand up and he didn't like that. When I stepped back he decided to go the other way which was a great decision for both of us...saving his life and me dulling a samurai! I left the woods a few minute earlier than normal that night! lol

We have a cure for those in ohio. its called snow.

I shot a snake in southern ohio that was resting in my path to my stand tree. 73" long. Guys in camp say I shouldnt have killed it w/ the bow, even though they could not agree on what it was. I just didn't want it waiting harmlessly on me to come back through in the dark. My hats off to you boys hunting in the south...

70c05a974d40a018be57dbde239647cd.jpg

I have great video of this one sounding off. Big ol’ Timber Rattler.

While not endangered these snakes are on the decline nationally due to habitat loss. I feel as sportsmen we have an obligation to protect and manage our ecosystems with an understanding that all species play an important role in the balance of nature. Maybe reach out to a local Herpetologist or Wildlife biologist to gain a different perspective about how these snakes benefit the ecosystem as a whole.

Killed 5 or 6 copperheads one bow season all the way into early December every since then All I wear are my snake boots. And have killed my share of stump tail water mocassians.

While not endangered these snakes are on the decline nationally due to habitat loss. I feel as sportsmen we have an obligation to protect and manage our ecosystems with an understanding that all species play an important role in the balance of nature. Maybe reach out to a local Herpetologist or Wildlife biologist to gain a different perspective about how these snakes benefit the ecosystem as a whole.

My man.

And at the same time, take a look at your baiting habits. Blows my mind to see all these folks sitting over a pile of damn corn bitch about all the snakes they’re suddenly seeing.

Same thing with bears exploding all over SC. The state allowed baiting in the Upstate several years back and now there’s bears all over the damn place.

That’s crazy. Same thing happened to me this weekend in Louisiana. Small canebrake about 3 feet or so. He must’ve just shed because he was super light In color so he was east to see

Attachments

• 719DD16F-1D61-4322-A017-5CC76C3D81C9.jpeg
    719DD16F-1D61-4322-A017-5CC76C3D81C9.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 53
Back