• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Recommendation for a good eye to eye cord

Black Titan

Was just going through my saddle gear earlier. Late in the season, I switched my linemans out for an 8mm oplux rope. I sold one 11mm predator linemans, and gave another 11mm to my uncle.

With the one I gave my uncle, I also gave away my only eye to eye spliced cord. I have some cheap 6mm that I've tied some eyes in the end with scaffold knots, but I'd prefer something with a sewn eye on each end, and something of better known quality. This stuff come from a hank of cord I bought off Amazon for the sole purpose of practicing different hitches and knots. Its supposedly "rated" to 9kn but I'm not gonna trust my life to it.

What's a good spliced eye to eye cord for both my 8mm oplux, and my canyon elite? I think I need 6mm for the oplux, and 7mm for the canyon. I prefer to tie Schwabisch hitches over prusiks. At least one of these will be used above my madrock on my repel rope, so it needs a good bit of length to it to reach my bridge.

BT

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240119_231823_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240119_231823_Chrome.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 20
This will work for both. 6mm trc
Edit: other company's will sell different lengths

I picked up the 7mm for my 9mm HTP. I tied a Cornell hitch.

I picked up the 7mm for my 9mm HTP. I tied a Cornell hitch.

This cord is great on my 9mm HTP in a soft sticht. I’m not using an eye/eye but same cord

This will work for both. 6mm trc
Edit: other company's will sell different lengths
I find this grabs almost too well on anything larger than 9mm but it’s awesome on 8mm

The CanyonElite is larger than the stated 9mm, more like 10mm-10.5mm.
FWIW I’ve found that Tethrd’s ropes are much larger in diameter than claimed as well. Their 11mm is pretty close to 13mm and their 8mm is a solid 9-9.5mm.
This is something I hadn’t realized was a thing at all until I started buying more and varied ropes. Decent amount of ropes seem to be larger than their stated diameter.
Is this at least partially due to the sheath material, and its susceptibility to being “crushed” or depressed under knot pressure? Like even though it measures 10mm with a caliper, it’s really 9mm under squeeze?

I'll probably get the 6mm TRC for my 8mm linemans rope. I'm using a Kong Duck at the moment, but want to have a bit of redundancy so planned to use a Schwabisch and let the duck tend it. I also use my linemans as a second tether once at height so would prefer a hitch instead of the duck to latch into.

May eventually swap over to using just hitches instead of the mechanicals, with the exception of the madrock.

Good to know about the canyon elite measuring bigger than spec. I'll have to find some 8mm eye to eye splices somewhere. The purpose of this one is to have a redundant attachment point above my madrock on my repel rope.

The end goal being to eliminate any single points of failure, and to always have a secondary point of attachment rigged incase the first point fails.

BT

I'll probably get the 6mm TRC for my 8mm linemans rope. I'm using a Kong Duck at the moment, but want to have a bit of redundancy so planned to use a Schwabisch and let the duck tend it. I also use my linemans as a second tether once at height so would prefer a hitch instead of the duck to latch into.

May eventually swap over to using just hitches instead of the mechanicals, with the exception of the madrock.

Good to know about the canyon elite measuring bigger than spec. I'll have to find some 8mm eye to eye splices somewhere. The purpose of this one is to have a redundant attachment point above my madrock on my repel rope.

The end goal being to eliminate any single points of failure, and to always have a secondary point of attachment rigged incase the first point fails.

BT
RockNArbor, Wesspur, and I think even REI have a good number of 8mm eye/eye options.

@Black Titan if you’re just using as a backup of a “static” hitch on your tether, it may not be a big deal, however: maybe try to find one that’s heat-resistant? If you’re going to use on your rappel line, climb line, moving the hitch under load, or potentially moving the hitch quickly with a lot of friction, heat resistance is a must in my inexpert opinion.
Most of the options posted fit this bill, just figured if you didn’t already know that you might want to. If you already had this in mind, ignore my spamming of your thread lol.

@Black Titan if you’re just using as a backup of a “static” hitch on your tether, it may not be a big deal, however: maybe try to find one that’s heat-resistant? If you’re going to use on your rappel line, climb line, moving the hitch under load, or potentially moving the hitch quickly with a lot of friction, heat resistance is a must in my inexpert opinion.
Most of the options posted fit this bill, just figured if you didn’t already know that you might want to. If you already had this in mind, ignore my spamming of your thread lol.

Lol it's cool. I hadn't thought about heat resistance actually. The plan is basically just to use the hitch as a backup that I will secure once at height. I always remove it before beginning my repel so it shouldn't be seeing any friction.

BT

was looking at the blue water vt prusik cord I have 9 mm canyon elite and they have 7 mm and 8 mm and they both say good for 9mm so which one will work better? I have some hollow bloch loops but really like to get some eye to eyes so I can tie some different prusiks and plus what chord works well if I decide to make my own eye to eyes?

was looking at the blue water vt prusik cord I have 9 mm canyon elite and they have 7 mm and 8 mm and they both say good for 9mm so which one will work better? I have some hollow bloch loops but really like to get some eye to eyes so I can tie some different prusiks and plus what chord works well if I decide to make my own eye to eyes?
The 7mm works much better on 9mm rope

What would be a good 8mm cord for blue water assault 11.5? I want to use the soft sticht hitch if that helps. I have some 7mm accessory cord but I think it’s a bit small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would be a good 8mm cord for blue water assault 11.5? I want to use the soft sticht hitch if that helps. I have some 7mm accessory cord but I think it’s a bit small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could use their 8mm VT on the 11.5.
2 other great options are 9mm RIT from Sterling or Teufelberger 9mm epicord.

Both Sherrill and Tree Stuff sell them as eye to eye options

You could use their 8mm VT on the 11.5.
2 other great options are 9mm RIT from Sterling or Teufelberger 9mm epicord.

Both Sherrill and Tree Stuff sell them as eye to eye options
I agree, except with your suggestions where to purchase, both have been bought out, use to carry any and everything needed for tree work, now only things that sell the most. Customer service not the best either.

I agree, except with your suggestions where to purchase, both have been bought out, use to carry any and everything needed for tree work, now only things that sell the most. Customer service not the best either.
Sadly it’s the nature of the beast these days. It’s hard to compete without the big guy dollars to further the business.

I guess I could also add in Rock N Arbor as carriers for both 8 and 9mm hitch cord

Back