• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Recon sling vs Kestrel?

SouthMsBowhunter

Looking for inputs from those who had both. I have a Kestrel and have been happy with it, but I’m wanting to go lighter.

How much difference in weight is there between the two? And is the Recon really that much more comfortable? I see many seem to think so.

And is the webbing bridge easily adjustable while hanging?

thanks for any inputs.

No inputs?

not looking to bash the Kestrel, I’ve been happy with it for when I’ve used it. Just looking to see if I can go lighter and be comfortable.

I haven’t had a Kestrel, but I do have a small and regular Recon. I would say the webbing bridge isn’t too bad to adjust while hanging IF you have a platform. If you only have a ROS, it would be doable, but challenging. I changed out both of my webbing bridges to DIY Amsteel utilibridges. I also changed the belts to 1/8” shock cord with zip tie adjustment like [mention]Allegheny Tom [/mention] mentions in his Recon videos.

I haven’t had a Kestrel, but I do have a small and regular Recon. I would say the webbing bridge isn’t too bad to adjust while hanging IF you have a platform. If you only have a ROS, it would be doable, but challenging. I changed out both of my webbing bridges to DIY Amsteel utilibridges. I also changed the belts to 1/8” shock cord with zip tie adjustment like [mention]Allegheny Tom [/mention] mentions in his Recon videos.
Regarding adjusting without a platform, does that hold true for all of the two panel type designs?

Used kestrel all last year and was happy with it. Picked up a recon over the summer and initially thought I would use that this year after a few practice climbs. After my first sit I am thinking it might not be for me. I couldn't seem to stop fiddling to get comfortable. And walking in and out was challenging as it did not want to stay in place. Had some pressure points in quite a few positions and alsohad just too much fiddle factor for my liking. The kestrel is just clip in and go. I dont know, maybe I am doing something wrong or need morE practice with the recon but I'm not going to use it again until season is over or I may put up in the classifieds.

I have both and go back and forth. The light weight of the recon is nice. Mine might be too big though. It wont stay up with the belt fully tightened. I have a 32 inch waist. I like the kestrel for the reasons posted by Coathanger15.

I own both. I bought my Kestrel the 1st day they were available and I liked it. I liked it even better when I devised the clinch bridge.
But now it collects dust.
I hunted all last season in my prototype Recon and had lots of 11 hour hangs. IME, I don't care what type of stand a guy uses, after about 8 or 9 hours they all become uncomfortable. Even a Lazyboy recliner gets uncomfortable after several hours.

I think size really matters with any sling or saddle. I'm still on the fence about which Recon size is best for me. The small works a little better for me when talking about a bungee belt and different ways to configure the attachment for the bungee. The medium takes a little more creativity for attaching the bungee belt, but it's quite doable. The medium is more comfortable for me while hanging. My buddy is about my size, 5'7" 180lbs, and he has the same opinion as me about the sizing.
It seems like I can't quite separate the 2 panels of the small size as much as I would like.

It takes a minute or so to adjust the webbing bridge while hanging. It's pretty easy on a platform but on a ROS you would need to employ your lineman belt. Having the webbing bridge being adjustable, (IMO) is more for dialing in your bridge length for your comfort level. It's not really something that I adjust on a daily basis.

The Kestrel has been my only saddle since I started in 2018. I ordered a Recon recently so I should have some frame of reference in a few weeks after it arrives and I've had a chance to try it in the field.

I don't have any complaints about the Kestrel and I can and have done 10-11 hours in it without issue. I was just curious to try a sling style saddle and something that packs down a little smaller.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Regarding adjusting without a platform, does that hold true for all of the two panel type designs?
No. It has to do with the bridge design/materials rather than 2-panel vs single panel saddle. Essentially can you make bridge length adjustments while the bridge is under tension with your weight.

Thanks for all your inputs! I think my main goals would be retain current comfort and loose some bulk and weight if possible.

I currently have fixed bridge tied on and my tether loop is also tied and still using factory knots. Everything is bulky.

Back