• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

rock climbing harness info request, in combo with SitDrag

JRwk

Hi Folks,

I've used a SneakSak (from years ago) with my SitDrag, but have determined that I think i need to get a rock climbing harness instead. I'm a bit bigger than i was years ago when i bought it ;), and it tends to slide downward on my waist during a climb. This is a safety concern. I'm wondering if a rock climbing harness will work better here.

I'm looking for your advice (i've clearly seen a few good ideas on the forum) for a RC harness that will work during different seasons. Specifically, when we're out testing products or practicing, we might be in jeans or similar light clothing. But in cold weather clothing is layered and bulky.

So i want something that is versatile for clothing issues, and also suitable for a larger guy without a 32 in waist in order to not have it slip down my hips when climbing.

-Jeff

Jeff alot of the guys on here use a BOD harness or there are a few from Metolius that are in use. I have misty mountain cadillac tactical version that i have used and i like it except for the cost but the quality is great.

I'm nearly settled on this one: http://a.co/ertRkic ($40 Fusion Climb Concerto Half Body Harness Black M-XL Quick Release Buckles, Black/Orange).

My criteria are: Able to get into it, with boots on, without putting it on the muddy ground like a full step-through, big enough to handle a 42-inch waist size plus layers, quick-release legs for ease of on/off, not crazy expensive (I'm not a dedicated rock climber), rated for climbing. The "rated for climbing" part is the sticker. If you start searching climbing forums for info on Fusion harnesses you find a lot of disrespect for them over certification status - some of their stuff was certified, then lapsed, some isn't, etc. I'm working on getting comfortably down into a Black Diamond Bod or Couloir harness, which fits me very snugly now but not with layers, but this Fusion is my backup plan.

What about a harness that will fit comfortably over winter wear. I mean insulated bibs and jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m thinking it would have to be full body with a front attachment for the tether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm nearly settled on this one: http://a.co/ertRkic ($40 Fusion Climb Concerto Half Body Harness Black M-XL Quick Release Buckles, Black/Orange).

My criteria are: Able to get into it, with boots on, without putting it on the muddy ground like a full step-through, big enough to handle a 42-inch waist size plus layers, quick-release legs for ease of on/off, not crazy expensive (I'm not a dedicated rock climber), rated for climbing. The "rated for climbing" part is the sticker. If you start searching climbing forums for info on Fusion harnesses you find a lot of disrespect for them over certification status - some of their stuff was certified, then lapsed, some isn't, etc. I'm working on getting comfortably down into a Black Diamond Bod or Couloir harness, which fits me very snugly now but not with layers, but this Fusion is my backup plan.

I used the fusion this year. Quick release buckles are nice....especially when dealing with layers
Switched over from a metolius that was fine once it was on. Getting it on was such a pain in the ass though. Double back buckles suck

The fusion is all I will use for the foreseeable future though

Cool, thanks for the info - I haven't found anyone else using that one yet, and wasn't sure how much I should trust it.

Moosejaw has a sale now with free shipping over $35.

https://www.moosejaw.com
474b8cee7342596e087b5e14c41a917e.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
https:///moosejaw/shop/product_Black-Diamond-Bod-Harness_10002954_10208_10000001_-1_

296f6dbbf354faf6d80e5ccdda94d0a9.jpg

I have the lightweight BOD with a double back buckle. I was thinking of putting a dual adjustable Cobra buckle on it, to get rid of the double back.

I have the lightweight BOD with a double back buckle. I was thinking of putting a dual adjustable Cobra buckle on it, to get rid of the double back.
yeah if you could do that, id put the fusion buckles on my metolious. Problem probably lies in the strap length. I'm guessing (not pulling stuff out of storage bins) that one side of those double backs is sewed tight meaning ya have to cut it off and leaves you no strap material to work with

fusion is basic straps. Its not as comfortable hanging while climbing cause it has no padding, but god is it so much better to put on. Any guy that has tried to pull these harnesses over his manhood versus taking the tedious time to try and loosen and tighten the doubleback buckles.....both ways sucks

fusion harness with the quick release buckles....ahhhhhh calgon take me away :)

Last edited:
I will take mine apart tomorrow...I expect to find it sewn like you said. Fusion looks great I suspect I will have two harnesses soon.

I will take mine apart tomorrow...I expect to find it sewn like you said. Fusion looks great I suspect I will have two harnesses soon.
reading your previous post, use it for a season. I have no idea if the BD buckles are as tough to manage as the Metolious. One critical thing on most metolious reviews are the buckles and yeah they are tough to adjust, but they are meant to protect guys wearing shorts climbing cliffs...not me trying to get it over my 3 layers of winter clothing

I got this one

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-BD6500200000L__1-parent-Bod-Harness/dp/B01D4VURZE

I’ve had the alpine bod harness but it was tight in the family jewels area. Would have hated to take a fall in it.
The bod harness that’s not the alpine model is basically the same with an added belay loop in the front that helps with the family jewels problem. It also has the same quick release leg straps. Plus a padded belt which is a big improvement in comfort while leaning back using a linemans belt. I just cut all the gear loops off that was on the side and sewn in climb spec tubular webbing for lineman belt hook up.

Back