• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope service life

DaveH

Aug 2, 2017
Illinois
I have a set of Rapid Rails that I bought new maybe mid to late1990's(?). They came outfitted with whoopie slings and 's' hooks as the means of attachment. Over the years, they have served me as one of many climbing devices and have probably never been left on any one tree for more than 3-4 weeks at a time. I like to use them more when running and gunning due to their light weight. So as I was looking them over yesterday, I got to thinking about the service life of rope for this and similar applications which could be deemed "critical".

Abrasion and broken strands are relatively easy to assess with a visual inspection, while UV degradation may be much less apparent. In the case of my rails, I'm thinking that it's a good idea to replace the whoopie slings since they are nearly 20 years old(!).

What is the general concensus regarding when to retire rope (as well as other similar gear we use)?

Reactions: Scott F