• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman 2 or bust?

stone1

I'm looking to upgrade my lineman belt. Ideally, I wanted a ropeman 1 but it currently is not carried on amazon; only the ropeman 2. I've seen issues with the ropeman 2 biting too hard or causing the rope to fray prematurely..

Bottom line; Is getting a ropeman 2 worth it or should I just stick with a prussik and tender until they're carried again.

The only reason I'm sticking with amazon is that I have a large credit there and would like to use that to cover the ascenders.

My rope is a 11mm Samson velocity.

I've got a bright blue ropeman on my linemans belt, and a black ropeman on my tether.

The black one bites too hard and is fraying the hell out of tether, but I feel like as long as I can relieve pressure before trying to let more line out, it will be ok. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I’d wait for the ropeman 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 2 on an 11 mm rope with a Nylon sheath and it’s been ok so far. My local climbing store didn’t have the 1 at the time and it’s still on back order.

I have a prusik on my lineman and use the ropeman on my RCH for SRT and once I get to the top I stay connected with it.

All that may change when I get my Safeguard in the Mail next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REI had the RM1 I was told not to use RM2 on 11mm rope ! It for 8mm

I use toothed ascenders all the time. You just have to move them up a few millimeters to unhook the teeth to prevent fraying before sliding down. If you rip them from the rope you will obviously have problems. I would have no problem using the RM2 instead of the RM1.

My only issue with the 2 has been on cheaper ropes, like the muddy linesman or similar. I have and use both with no issues, just pay attention, it's not going to cut the rope or anything.

I decided to go with the Kong duck. My samson velocity rope is a little to soft for the RM2 from what I've heard. Definitely paid more as it's $60+ per for the Kongs'; better than buying the RM2 and not being satisfied though.

I'm looking to upgrade my lineman belt. Ideally, I wanted a ropeman 1 but it currently is not carried on amazon; only the ropeman 2. I've seen issues with the ropeman 2 biting too hard or causing the rope to fray prematurely..

Bottom line; Is getting a ropeman 2 worth it or should I just stick with a prussik and tender until they're carried again.

The only reason I'm sticking with amazon is that I have a large credit there and would like to use that to cover the ascenders.

My rope is a 11mm Samson velocity.
Check REI. That's where I got mine. Would avoid RM2.

Quick question, has anyone ever used the synthetic winch rope? It’s just as strong as amsteel but not the same brand. Would a ropeman work on this. Also, what is the most budget friendly option beside a prussik?

Quick question, has anyone ever used the synthetic winch rope? It’s just as strong as amsteel but not the same brand. Would a ropeman work on this. Also, what is the most budget friendly option beside a prussik?

Most budget friendly option is a prussik with a tender; which is typically a plastic or metal device that sits behind your prussik and attaches to your carabiner, When you pull the tag end of the rope the tender will slide into the prussic and slide it up the rope. Next to that is probably the ropeman 1. usually is around $40+. They have chinese knockoffs on amazon but they are not climbing certified although they claim to be.

Most budget friendly option is a prussik with a tender; which is typically a plastic or metal device that sits behind your prussik and attaches to your carabiner, When you pull the tag end of the rope the tender will slide into the prussic and slide it up the rope. Next to that is probably the ropeman 1. usually is around $40+. They have chinese knockoffs on amazon but they are not climbing certified although they claim to be.
I tried the tender. I used a little carabiner and it slid the prussik up fine, but it when I leaned back the prussik would slide back down without biting into the rope. Do you know how to fix this?

I tried the tender. I used a little carabiner and it slid the prussik up fine, but it when I leaned back the prussik would slide back down without biting into the rope. Do you know how to fix this?

It could be a couple of things.

It could be the rope you are using as a prussik doesn't bind well with your mainline rope. Prussik line needs to be a couple of MM smaller than your mainline rope.

If that is not your issue then it could be the little carabiner you are using as a tender is too small in length and is not allowing your prussik to bite proper. You can try to make a tender out of paracord and make it just 2 or so inches smaller than your prussik length to your carabiner.

I've done this method with the paracord and while it did work well, it took about 2 hunts before my paracord fell off and I didn't realize until I was making my way up a tree.

It could be a couple of things.

It could be the rope you are using as a prussik doesn't bind well with your mainline rope. Prussik line needs to be a couple of MM smaller than your mainline rope.

If that is not your issue then it could be the little carabiner you are using as a tender is too small in length and is not allowing your prussik to bite proper. You can try to make a tender out of paracord and make it just 2 or so inches smaller than your prussik length to your carabiner.

I've done this method with the paracord and while it did work well, it took about 2 hunts before my paracord fell off and I didn't realize until I was making my way up a tree.
I think it is my carabiner. How did you make it out of paracord?

@stone1 just mentioned the knockoff ropemans. I looked them up and they look legit, but like he said it is kind of hard to trust your life on an uncertified product. Has anyone ever used them?

8 or so inch piece of paracord. Make two loops with a figure 8 or surgeons knot. One loop is for carabiner the other loop you slide around you main line.
Wait, you are supposed to clip it to your carabiner? I clipped it to my lineman’s loop and ran my main line through it.

Back