• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Build Video

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
I decided to do a couple of videos for the folks that havent seen a saddle build, not sure about materials, etc. Geared towards first time diy saddle makers. There are links to materials in the video notes. This is the first of 3 videos. This one covers the materials and equipment I'm using. Next one will cover measurements and template building and the 3rd will be the sewing itself. Not an expert by any means, but this might have something to help the new guys. This one will be a flex version of the last build.
Photo below is cross referenced to the materials links in the video notes.

ee77c345f5812f1ed8ee58b1e8d0f597.jpg
dcea5dd68c28521c560dcbb031e6de20.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looking forward to seeing the next 2 videos. I just recently got a sewing machine and I have 3/4 of the materials already.... I'l be following along.

Cant wait to see the sewing video, still trying to figure out how you have been doing saddles with the 4452 and not destroying it.
You have been on a roll @always89y, roll on, roll on......

Can u explain a little more about your layout...u covered a lotta stuff real quick.

Back fold?.....

20200417_183425.jpg

Those lines taken off the centerline are just for pleats? Mesh material would disregard that part?

Last edited:
You are the man [mention]always89y [/mention] !

Your sharing with the community is great!

It may not seem like much to you to share some videos and instruction, materials, etc. ..., but for the uninitiated, and eager to learn contingent, it means a lot!

Thanks!

Can u explain a little more about your layout...u covered a lotta stuff real quick.

Back fold?.....

View attachment 27337

Those lines taken off the centerline are just for pleats? Mesh material would disregard that part?
Where did you get that pic of me?
Ya, the 5 horizontal lines ( center, then 2ea 1.25" spaced lines above and below) are JUST for the pleat. If you dont want the pleat, you just dont add that 5 inches of materials, and obviously the lines.

Heres a pic of the pleat fold. That should make sense of the "back Fold"

The next video kind of pulls all of that together as well. Shows hot to make the pleat from those lines. Already shot it, just have to put 9 clips together to post...im not super tech savy.

Then, above the last line on top and bottom, make a mark at 3 inches. That is where your curve ends. That way, when the whole thing is folded up, your saddle sides are right at 6 inches high.
4794b4ae034e84f95a463eea4f8a8be8.jpg

You are the man [mention]always89y [/mention] !

Your sharing with the community is great!

It may not seem like much to you to share some videos and instruction, materials, etc. ..., but for the uninitiated, and eager to learn contingent, it means a lot!

Thanks!
Thanks! I get a lot out of this community. Wouldnt be right to not give back somehow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looking forward to the third video. I’ve done two phantom clones and one kestrel clone. I’ve been interested in doing a pleated one but wasn’t exactly sure how to do it. Thanks for taking the time to put this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The tension mounts.....waiting for the most exciting part. Sewing the saddle. If I had video of me doing it with my wife's 4452 (and destroying it) she would just have video evidence to present at my trial. Of course she was judge and jury......and I was guilty. Great job so far. Even though I have sewn 2 already these are really helpful. Like everyone else has said it really does help everyone interested. Thanks for posting.

Appreciate the info ! I’ve made e few clones already and enjoy learning from others . I’ve also shared on here to help others ! Following!!!

Looking forward to the third video. I’ve done two phantom clones and one kestrel clone. I’ve been interested in doing a pleated one but wasn’t exactly sure how to do it. Thanks for taking the time to put this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks! Im not sure im doing it right either! Ive never owned a commercial pleated saddle, but it seems to work just fine!

Let's see that third video! I'm also wanting to make a phantom clone. I've got all of my supplies so I'm just looking to find the time to sit down and hammer this thing out. Great videos so far man. You make some nice saddles.

Let's see that third video! I'm also wanting to make a phantom clone. I've got all of my supplies so I'm just looking to find the time to sit down and hammer this thing out. Great videos so far man. You make some nice saddles.
Thanks! Im waiting on a couple of things to finish number 3 off. Hopefully they will come in today.

Back fold?.....

View attachment 27337

Thanks For The Videos. Good Job. If I Had That Much Back Fold, I Think I Would Hunt On The Ground. Don't Trust My Sewing THAT Much!!

Back