• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle gun hunting

Climb up. Set platform, pull pack and gun up. Gun stays in my lap because action is fast enough that hangjng the gun up isnt worth it

What part are you struggling with?

I think a saddle is perfect for gun hunting myself. You can hang the gun from an EZ Hanger (Godspeed, my man) or lay it across the bridge/loops.

If you use the EZ Hanger screw it into the tree at the proper height and you’ll be able to use it for a rest.

It is easier than shooting a bow out of a saddle I hunt rifle every year out of my saddle. I have took deer at up to 120m out the saddle no problem. I do like to set my pack on the side of the tree I will be shooting from (most likely), and then I can rest the barrel on my hanging pack. This gives you a really stable position but you don't need it for accurate shots.

Gun is perfect with saddle. You hide behind tree and use tree trunk to steady gun. You can also use bridge sometimes to help steady too. I love it. Good luck with it.

You can use the ropes or tree to get a steady foundation. It's easier with a rifle then out of a climber or hang on.

I use a Hero clip to hang my gun, it also makes a convenient rest for your front hand. Since the Hero clip swivels in multiple directions you can track the animal while still having a stable rest. Grab the gun stock then rest the fat part of your hand in the clip.

I think it's easier than with a bow. One difference is that with a rifle, you usually want to setup so that your anticipated shot is in front of you.

As others have pointed out, lots of good rests available too. Gear hangar, bracing your hand on the tree, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Easy breezy. I just set my gear strap lower and put a squirrel step on either side of the tree. Pack get hung on the one to the right. Gun on the one to the left. They are at a height to use either as a gun rest.

rifle hunting out of a saddle is easy. I do everything the same but like someone else said I use a hero clip to hang my rifle.

I'd say the only other difference is I always use a platform when rifle hunting too. But that is related to it being colder than archery season so I'm wearing larger boots and prefer a platform with large boots instead of just the top of my one stick

I think it's easier than with a bow. One difference is that with a rifle, you usually want to setup so that your anticipated shot is in front of you.

As others have pointed out, lots of good rests available too. Gear hangar, bracing your hand on the tree, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
...but you really should learn to be good freehand shooting.

It’s awesome for gun. Just run one stick or better get a platform with 2 step aider. No need to be more than about 6 feet up with a gun

Back