• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle hunt exclusively?

iamcorey

Do any of you grab you climbers or lock on stands any more? Or is every hunt in the saddle?

Second guessing a climber purchase I made. Like will I really use it now? I keep rationalizing and looking for a reason to keep it but I recently sold my lock on that didn’t get used last season but once just before my sit drag showed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold off all my stands. I have a kestrel and a “few” climbing methods. I kept my climber for a long time but it just sat. I couldn’t convince my self to carry the thing. I would use a climber if I was close to the truck with a straight tree. Maybe.
I sold my last two ladder stands and last two loc ons literally last week. They were brand new up in the attic of my shed.

I'll sit in a preset. I don't see myself going mobile with a stand.

I'm new to saddle hunting this year so I am trying to use it as much as I can during the early season to help decide what to do when the rut hits in the next week or two. i like it so far, but I can see how uniquely fine tuned things need to be for each individual hunter.

I ground hunt and on REALLY cold days(like 0 and below) where I"m in full down bibs, down jacket, etc. I will sit in stand.

So far this year no. I am hunting a new spot this year and there are a lot of hold pre set stands that are still in good shape. This weekend I really liked a tree that a pre set was in so I used the sticks that were there and hung the saddle off the backside of the tree.

When I'm mobile, 100% saddle. But, I have a few ground blinds and some ladder stands which I wouldn't avoid if I thought I might get a buck...

Do any of you grab you climbers or lock on stands any more? Or is every hunt in the saddle?

Second guessing a climber purchase I made. Like will I really use it now? I keep rationalizing and looking for a reason to keep it but I recently sold my lock on that didn’t get used last season but once just before my sit drag showed up.

I hunt in the saddle or still hunt/sit on the ground. I have a Lone Wolf lock on for when I bring new hunters out, I just hang off the back of the tree. No need for anything else.

When I plan an all day rut sit I do hybrid style, treestand platform with a saddle. I've also done this a few times hunting close to the road and easy access. Saddle and predator platform is comfortable for several hours but after about 8 hours it crosses into torture territory for me. In practice I rarely plan all day sits, most of them are unplanned. I did one last year. My general rut routine is to sit from sunrise until about 2 PM and make a quick move. Even that quick break from the saddle does a world of good for the mental perseverance.

My climber I'll probably never sell but lugging that thing around it's tough to believe I did that for 15+ years. The only scenario I foresee using it anymore is hunting on a legit rainy day, which in practice I would only do first day or first Saturday of rifle if I am not tagged out by then.

I'm pretty much 100% saddle at this point. I do have a nice xop lock on that I'm keeping around, but only for bringing new hunters with me. This combo worked out nicely this last weekend for my nephew and myself.

I own a Lone Wolf assault, but it has been hanging in the closet for 5 years. I have been 100% saddle for that long. 50/50 the year before that.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Saddle for most hunts, but will use ladders and box blinds on our food plots locally. I used my climber 1x last fall and took my buck with it. I use a ghillie on the ground some too. Still waiting to win the lottery so I can shoot from a helicopter. I enjoy saddles, but in the end, they are just another tool for me and I use them all on occasion.

I’m about 85%. If I could find an easy way to wear my HBS or IWOM in real frigid weather I would likely be 100% saddle.

I’m hunting with my JX3 Hybrid exclusively. The ease of use and the comfort while sitting make me not want to use any other type of stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I ground hunt and on REALLY cold days(like 0 and below) where I"m in full down bibs, down jacket, etc. I will sit in stand.
Do you have a specific reason you prefer a stand when the temps drop? Ive wondered about the saddle compressing my bibs or jacket and it not insulating as well as usual.

I still have stands out, but I just don't seem to find myself in them anymore. I like moving to new locations and find the saddle more comfortable.

I'm new, but I did set 5 of my 7 hang-ons in August. I like my saddle for the mobility, but on a known good spot on private land, I dont think you can beat a high quality stand. Complete with shooting lanes, safety lines, and pull ropes of course. I did sell my summit climber a few weeks ago, hopefully no regrets. Now that my wife and 3 daughters want to hunt, I'm not sure what to do.

Back