• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle hunting for elk

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Chased elk all around the Rocky mountains this past week with @Erniepower . It was tough hunting, but wow what a place.

If you've never been elk hunting...GO! It's truly amazing.

True to my roots...I hauled in my saddle.
832193df6a9562cc78501894f262b1aa.jpg
e582e5ac4831f13a36fd1d4b3b5dc02c.jpg
3e4f0afbbb90a436bb8e48ee20f85bfd.jpg
a3fafebb74a0b1414fa4ef131f94710c.jpg
877f80f879bfa6935a0f992bac24496a.jpg
5f8cba635265d6573e4f23b30a564036.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Tell me about that stopper you have on the platform leveling bolt were it contacts the post.

Tell me about that stopper you have on the platform leveling bolt were it contacts the post.
It's some kind of furniture piece. Can't remember where it came from. I always modify my gear. Even the gear I make :)

Was that a pre-set stand from someone else?
Any elk walk nearby?
Yeah there was a tree stand situated 18 yards from an elk wallow. I didn't know what would be there, or what the setup would be, so I brought the saddle.

I sat for 13 hours and didn't see a single animal. It was terrible.

Yeah there was a tree stand situated 18 yards from an elk wallow. I didn't know what would be there, or what the setup would be, so I brought the saddle.

I sat for 13 hours and didn't see a single animal. It was terrible.

13 hours...**** me, that’s patience.
Smart idea to try the pre-set tree though, even without seeing anything. And like you said, that area is beautiful. I suppose this is where I’m supposed to add, “I guess that’s why they call it hunting and not killing!”

13 hours...**** me, that’s patience.
Smart idea to try the pre-set tree though, even without seeing anything. And like you said, that area is beautiful. I suppose this is where I’m supposed to add, “I guess that’s why they call it hunting and not killing!”
13 hours was BRUTAL. Especially since it was my first elevated hunt of the year. I went from 0 to 1000 instantly. I do not recommend it.

I guess if a big bull had come in at hour 12 I would have changed my tune though.

But looking back it wasn't actually 13 hours. I climbed in at 730ish and got down at 7ish so more like 11-12 hours.

13 hours was BRUTAL. Especially since it was my first elevated hunt of the year. I went from 0 to 1000 instantly. I do not recommend it.

I guess if a big bull had come in at hour 12 I would have changed my tune though.

But looking back it wasn't actually 13 hours. I climbed in at 730ish and got down at 7ish so more like 11-12 hours.

Lol yeah that difference of 1/12th really takes the edge off ;)
Now your 3-5 hour sits will be a breeze.

The only thing that hurt was my knees. They got really tender around the 8 or 9 hour mark. The rest of the hunt, my knees hurt. I ended up leaning a lot and standing on the Predator. That's another reason why I love a pivot style platform. Can't do that with a ring style.

The other game changer was the Recliner. No way I could sit for 12 hours without it.

The only thing that hurt was my knees. They got really tender around the 8 or 9 hour mark. The rest of the hunt, my knees hurt. I ended up leaning a lot and standing on the Predator. That's another reason why I love a pivot style platform. Can't do that with a ring style.

The other game changer was the Recliner. No way I could sit for 12 hours without it.

I lean 99% of the time. Predator has been “huge” for me. I’m a Hobbit so I don’t need 24” of platform, just enough for my size 11’s.
Haven’t tried a recliner yet but as I close in on the pre-rut and my sits get longer, I’ll need one so I don’t doze off and invert.

I lean 99% of the time. Predator has been “huge” for me. I’m a Hobbit so I don’t need 24” of platform, just enough for my size 11’s.
Haven’t tried a recliner yet but as I close in on the pre-rut and my sits get longer, I’ll need one so I don’t doze off and invert.
You can make a Recliner pretty easily too. I used an old camera strap for the first one. You could also use a duffel bag strap. Get creative and you don't have to spend money.

Did you have the Gen 2 recliner? If so, did you bring it under your knees for some extra support?

You can make a Recliner pretty easily too. I used an old camera strap for the first one. You could also use a duffel bag strap. Get creative and you don't have to spend money.

You have made me think the strap I use for my climbing sticks can do double duty...

Back