• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle platform Vrs climber platform

hunter1177

What u like better climber platform for saddle hunting or saddle platform I have been looking a buying the x1 climbing stand n using just the bottom half stands 12 pounds total with top and bottom

I prefer saddle platform. Lighter, less bulky, can get into more trees, easy to set up. Very comfortable. I have the predator but if you want something bigger the predator XL is nice and there are a few other options.

I prefer saddle platform. Lighter, less bulky, can get into more trees, easy to set up. Very comfortable. I have the predator but if you want something bigger the predator XL is nice and there are a few other options.
I see what u mean price is steep on the xl but the x1 bottom section of the climbing stand is lighter them the xl n eliminate s the need for sticks aids and ring steps do you think the xl would be better because of size ? I hunt in an area were trees are 150 200 yrs old there some basket ball size tress but not many or there in a place where the games not .how does the xl work in that kind of situation

I have a mission that I keep in my back. My shoulders are wider than the mission, so when I am sneaking it is compact. My climbing stand is much wider. When walking through the woods the sneaky level goes down. BUT, what I have done is I put the lower halves of my climbing stands on a couple bolt presets and left them there for the entire season.

Last edited:
IMO the whole saddle concept is about stealth, weight, and versatility. Therefore anything that goes against those elements requires me to rethink the need or at least seek out an alternative. I recently acquired the Hawk Hammock Apex Platform that defies the current pricing trends for saddle platforms and based on my initial opening and hanging on a tree in the yard does what all the other higher priced platforms do.

I used my Lone wolf climber bottom with my saddle all season this year and I’ll be getting a platform during this offseason. The bottom of the climber is way too bulky and just too big in every way for me I’ll be buying a Mission platform when they’re back in stock. Hope this helps

I used my Lone wolf climber bottom with my saddle all season this year and I’ll be getting a platform during this offseason. The bottom of the climber is way too bulky and just too big in every way for me I’ll be buying a Mission platform when they’re back in stock. Hope this helps
So it just to much for the movement s n leaning

So it just to much for the movement s n leaning

Actually unstable moving around on the sides. Great to stand on and get set up and break down. Just not what it’s meant for. A platform that’s secured to a tree is way more stable.

Actually unstable moving around on the sides. Great to stand on and get set up and break down. Just not what it’s meant for. A platform that’s secured to a tree is way more stable.
Ty so much helped a lot looking at cruzer S new saddle archon looks great

I’ve been using the seat portion of my LW hand climber to climb trees and as my platform for years. The major difference between this and using a dedicated platform is having to have steps or some other method to get up/down the tree in addition to the platform, which just adds weight and bulk. When I tried this method, I was at the same weight or more than my climbing tree stand, which is the exact opposite direction I was intending to go (one sticking not included). The LW seat does both and I love it when my gear can multitask.

Someone mentioned the stability or lack there of for this setup. This is something I’ve struggled with over the years trying out various methods to get the thing to lock onto the tree without spinning out from under you when you side load it trying to move around the tree. I tried ratchet straps, cam buckles and various other methods. I finally settled on a method/ modification that solves the issue that’s simple and easy.

Once I get about 3-4’ shy of my hunting height, I’ll squat down on my platform and girth hitch a rope around the tree and throw the tag end loosely around my platform. I then continue climbing the 3-4’ to my hunting height. I’ve installed a cam cleat (like on the Muddy Sticks) on the outer edge of my platform. I squat down again and grab the previously girth hitched rope and reef up on it hard and pull it into the cam cleat which sets it. Pretty much rock solid after that no matter how hard I side load it.

Last edited:
Back