• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Shooting with a recurve

Any other trad hunters here have an issue with under drawing while in the saddle. Last year I had no issues when shooting out of the saddle but this year I’m hitting what amounts to 3/5 yards low when I’m trying to thin the squirrel herd some. Haven’t had a shot at a deer yet but plan to aim a bit higher to compensate for it. I know shots over the bridge are usually underdrawn but not usually to my strong side or drop shots. I guess I could add a clicker

No, haven't had that problem. Once the season starts, I do like to focus on shooting only my hunting rig. Switching back and forth from a flat shooting 3d bow to my heavier hunting rig does involve a little recalibration of the ole computer and it doesn't seem to do that quite as readily as when I was younger.

Did you switch up anything since last year? You've identified the problem so maybe try to get in a bit more practice? Not sure I'd want to introduce a clicker into the mix at mid-season. Good luck with whatever you decide.

No, haven't had that problem. Once the season starts, I do like to focus on shooting only my hunting rig. Switching back and forth from a flat shooting 3d bow to my heavier hunting rig does involve a little recalibration of the ole computer and it doesn't seem to do that quite as readily as when I was younger.

Did you switch up anything since last year? You've identified the problem so maybe try to get in a bit more practice? Not sure I'd want to introduce a clicker into the mix at mid-season. Good luck with whatever you decide.

No changes other than broadhead weight. I did have some struggles with my form due to an injury this spring and not being able to shoot for 3 months. I may be a bit of residual holdover from that since I cannot go over my complete preshot checklist due to the saddle. Shooting from the ground is right where its supposed to be. It may just be an alignment issue in my Evolution vs my home brew sit drag/kestrel/ rock harness saddle that I used last year. Just sold the Evolution today so I'll see if that was it or not. If nothing else I'll just aim higher.

Square up your shoulders by bending at the waist. If you don't bend at the waist you'll drop your bow arm and that ruins your form. Bend at the waist will help you maintain that proper T form....

No problems with my longbow. I feel much more solid from the saddle than I do a traditional stand. Got to squeeze the back no matter how you’re shooting. On the ground or in the saddle I draw extend and follow through.

I shoot a clicker so no but I do find it hard to hit the clicker on my off side.

practice practice practice...it feels funky until you get the hang of it!

I'm not a big trad guy, but when I worked in a shop I always pushed guys to gap-shoot 3-under, use a clicker, and back off on their draw weight. That combo made a lot of terrible shots competent at 20 yards almost instantly. I cant think of any real reason not to use a clicker.

I'm not a big trad guy, but when I worked in a shop I always pushed guys to gap-shoot 3-under, use a clicker, and back off on their draw weight. That combo made a lot of terrible shots competent at 20 yards almost instantly. I cant think of any real reason not to use a clicker.
The only reason would be if you want to compete and it isn’t allowed in the class you shoot. IBO RU is the only class that I know of that allows a clicker.

Back