• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle spreader bar?

SNIPERBBB

I was thinking in the saddle tonight as I was reading the normal complaints about hip pinch on Facebook. How about a saddle spreader bar? It would cut down the fiddle factor immensely.and possibly eliminate the h need for second bridges for us rope climbers

I made one called fat guy bar or something years ago in the diy section. I never left the yard with it. Was made using pvc pipe and I pre bent it with a torch. Just use a longer bridge on your current saddle to reduce pinch.

This is what was used years ago for the double ring harnesses that had a butt strap, it helped some, but that type of harness is affectionately called the hip crusher. It appears all the saddles here are of this same design. Do any have leg loops instead of just straps?
95FC4DF6-FC34-45B2-B2B2-14090086BE34.jpeg

I’m real surprised not to have seen more DIY attempts at this.

I’m real surprised not to have seen more DIY attempts at this.
It has been attempted and done... 2x4s, pvc, broom sticks, etc. just adds to more pieces and components. Sometimes you just have to find or make a saddle that suits your bottom!

It seems to me the big thing about eliminating hip pinch is getting the rope coming off the bridge to be as close to 90* as possible. I dont know if any of the mfgs alert their purchases or not to that. They certainly say that if you're experiencing hip pinch to make adjustments to tether height and bridge length but not this simple little thing. I would think it's easier to explain what to look for as the goal of the adjustments than just adjusting until you find something that works without ever knowing why it works

It has been attempted and done... 2x4s, pvc, broom sticks, etc. just adds to more pieces and components. Sometimes you just have to find or make a saddle that suits your bottom!

And still constant hip pinch complaints. I’m thinking a set screw bolt on a sliding aluminum bar, would be pretty easy and weigh very little. I’m a JX3 hunter but did pick up a Recon. First hunt with it was not a comfort success but I didn’t have a platform, so no opinion yet.

It seems to me the big thing about eliminating hip pinch is getting the rope coming off the bridge to be as close to 90* as possible. I dont know if any of the mfgs alert their purchases or not to that. They certainly say that if you're experiencing hip pinch to make adjustments to tether height and bridge length but not this simple little thing. I would think it's easier to explain what to look for as the goal of the adjustments than just adjusting until you find something that works without ever knowing why it works

What you’re describing might get you in optimal situation with a soft saddle. What you’re missing is that muscles don’t like to be compressed. Bones don’t like to be compressed. Nerves don’t like to be compressed. Blood vessels don’t like to be compressed. As optimal as that position is, you will then be left to manage hip pinch and muscle compression as best you can. And managing means moving.

it obviously varies by user. And many folks get it ‘good enough’ to shout ‘most comfortable saddle ive Tried!’ But that’s because it’s anchored by the worst saddle they’ve tried being a torture chamber.

The name of the game is reducing pressure. And there’s a lower bound to how much pressure you can reduce with a soft saddle of any type, oriented in any way you like.

I would hope most people recognize what happens with pressure on anything. You're going to get some hip pinch with a saddle unless you're in tree that's wider than you are and running dual tethers than can open the bridge loops past 90*.

I suffer noassitis so I cant sit on anything for long periods of time so no matter what I do with my settings they'll be some discomfort.

Arbortists harnesses improved in comfort when they went to leg loops with a bridge, this allowed the legs to share the load with the waist belt, instead of just the hips.

What you’re describing might get you in optimal situation with a soft saddle. What you’re missing is that muscles don’t like to be compressed. Bones don’t like to be compressed. Nerves don’t like to be compressed. Blood vessels don’t like to be compressed. As optimal as that position is, you will then be left to manage hip pinch and muscle compression as best you can. And managing means moving.

it obviously varies by user. And many folks get it ‘good enough’ to shout ‘most comfortable saddle ive Tried!’ But that’s because it’s anchored by the worst saddle they’ve tried being a torture chamber.

The name of the game is reducing pressure. And there’s a lower bound to how much pressure you can reduce with a soft saddle of any type, oriented in any way you like.

After an early morning Monday flight for work, back in 2015 I had a mild stroke, no cause identified. So I’m extra paranoid about leg blood flow, part of the reason I went with the jx3. Even with that after a long enough sit I’m feeling that bar across the front; I do sit on a maybe 3/4” foam pad most of the season.

Do you know what the most padded soft saddle available is?

I wonder if a figure 8 with the little ears (not sure what they're called) would be enough for guys that are still battling hip pinch. Some sort of safeguard would have to be added i.e. a carabiner, extra prusik, etc. so the bridge wouldn't slip out or possibly a different way of routing the bridge through the figure 8. Hook the top of the figure 8 loop to the tether and thread bridge through the bottom running over the ears. A figure 8 similar to this one possibly?

Arbortists harnesses improved in comfort when they went to leg loops with a bridge, this allowed the legs to share the load with the waist belt, instead of just the hips.
Blasphemy! You're a Saddlehunter, man... cut those suckers off!!! ;)

Ha ha, no and no! Not a hunter of any type, and not going to cut off leg loops, I would slide out of waist belt. Big difference between loops and straps.

Is it mandatory you must suffer to saddle hunt?!!!

Last edited:
After an early morning Monday flight for work, back in 2015 I had a mild stroke, no cause identified. So I’m extra paranoid about leg blood flow, part of the reason I went with the jx3. Even with that after a long enough sit I’m feeling that bar across the front; I do sit on a maybe 3/4” foam pad most of the season.

Do you know what the most padded soft saddle available is?

What are you using as a platform?

One of the keys to keeping the frame of the hybrid from being uncomfortable is angle of knees, and ability to move feet.

Ideally, I like to set my tether height as high as I can reach to be able to move around tree easily. But the micro adjustment here matters too. I want to be set where my knees are bent 90 degrees with my backs of my heels sitting on my ring of steps. This requires tether attachment and fork adjustment to get just right. Sitting in this position, nearly all of my weight is resting on my butt and back of legs. Eventually, the frame along front of hybrid could start to cause pressure that might be uncomfortable. This is where the hybrid shines over soft saddles. Instead of a complete angle/positioning adjustment, I just slide my feet back to where my arch, or toes are on the steps. This raises my knees, and puts more pressure on butt and feet, and off of front of frame. It's imperceptible movement. When my rump or feet begin to feel the pressure, slide my feet back forward.

It's easy as pie, but does require a degree of paying attention - like any saddle system.

I have found that if you just set up platform, hang tether, and sit down somewhere around 90* without paying attention to foot placement and tether attachment and fork adjustment, you don't get the full advantage of the rigid seat.

Reactions: JC3
Out on a Limb did play with it some last year but not sure how it all turned out. cant remember is username other wise i would @ him so he could shar what he found.

treesuit1.jpgtreesuit2.jpg

This saddle gives me no hip pinch. Modified an old tree suit. Cut the straps and sewed in some d rings from EWO. I use tubular straps from EWO as bridges. Added a backstrap I made from a rifle sling and it is extremely comfortable.

Back