• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Schaefer fast entry v Harken 150 cam cleat for one stick

sojourner

SH Member
I am a long time user of muddy pro sticks with their cam cleat. I have decided that this fall will be the season I give it a go with one sticking. I have a Slick Rick and both a Schaefer fast entry and a harken 150 cam cleat. Similar dimensions, both are 300 lbs working load limit.

Does anyone have firsthand experience that would cause them to choose one over the other? Or good or bad experiences with either that they would like to share?

Thx

If you want a bombpoof cam cleat that is quiet and easier to control the release of the rope and higher weight rating the Karver KJ3 is the one you want. However it is not cheap.

Between the Schaefer and the harken. I prefer the schaefer. I did have an issue with the harken binding up cuz I tightened it to tight. Then I took it apart and didn’t really like the way it was constructed.

If you want a bombpoof cam cleat that is quiet and easier to control the release of the rope and higher weight rating the Karver KJ3 is the one you want. However it is not cheap.

Between the Schaefer and the harken. I prefer the schaefer. I did have an issue with the harken binding up cuz I tightened it to tight. Then I took it apart and didn’t really like the way it was constructed.

That Karver KJ3 looks nice! I like the Schaefer just because it does not have red. Maybe once I sell off some extra gear, I’ll get the Karver KJ3.

Thx!

I have two one-sticks. One has a Harken cleat, the other a Schaefer. I've been using both for about 3 years, when I'm climbing I can't tell the difference between them.

The Harken 150 has a 300# working load limit. There are many Schaefer models. The one that is similarly rated at 300# requires a different range of rope sizes.
I’ve heard rumors of a cam cleat coming that is specifically designed for rope mods on climbing sticks. Fingers crossed.

Back