• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scrap Aluminum find

ARERHODES

Driving home stopped at TSC and a store nextdoor was being renovated. Saw the guys chucking out two aluminum awnings. Asked if they were trash and they said have at em. They are 8 ft long and 3/4 of them are tubular aluminum. Not sure the grade of the metal but might be some stock for some projects. If not then the local metal recycling place can buy em from me. Any ideas on how to figure out what type of aluminum stock it's made from?
eab45962f4a6cbe5954199880d0d9144.jpg
e7091086da473ffa83eee3d1b29432a6.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Only the section where my thumb is isn't solid tube

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

While the price is right, I don't know of any way to determine what alloy you have there. If you are thinking that you might use it for some project where safety is a factor, such as a DIY XOP platform, you might want to consider how much you're actually saving. For instance, a 12" piece of 1.25" square x .125" wall 6061T6 aluminum tubing cost me ~$13 at a local metal distributor. While I may have been overcharged a little, I am certain that I have the right alloy for the application.

Back