• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

sealing edge of silpoly ground cloth without doing a hem?

raisins

SH Member
Hi, I'm hoping one of our gurus of textile arts can give me some guidance

I bought 3 yards of this.

to get a 6' x 9' piece of durable ripstop silpoly to make a ground cloth out of for camping

it has selvage (a sewing line a melty area and then some threads) on each side (selvage to selvage distance is 6 feet)

the other 2 cuts are clean cuts that they made with a hot knife

this will be a ground cloth but i want to hand sew a few webbing lashing loops on the corners and mid points of all sides and maybe the center of the tarp so that in an emergency it can also do double duty as an overhead shelter

i don't care how it looks, i just want it to stay in one piece and keep me dry

so, instead of doing 30 feet of hems around the whole perimeter, i'm thinking i can just rub some gear aid seam sealer or something similar into the edge really good and then sew my webbing on it

do you think that would work?

Last edited:
Sewing it would probably be faster than any other method to be honest. With the right machine anyway.

You could use some seam tape and iron it on.

If you want to be very fast, duct tape or something like it folded over the edges will probably last longer than the ground cloth itself. Cheap fast and easy repair. Double or triple it up where you’re putting grommets or stale holes or whatever.

It’s mostly your pride at stake with the tape.

Sewing it would probably be faster than any other method to be honest. With the right machine anyway.

You could use some seam tape and iron it on.

If you want to be very fast, duct tape or something like it folded over the edges will probably last longer than the ground cloth itself. Cheap fast and easy repair. Double or triple it up where you’re putting grommets or stale holes or whatever.

It’s mostly your pride at stake with the tape.

thanks, no holes....that's why i'm sewing the webbing loops on....the holes and grommets are famous as a weak point....the survival/ultralight backpacking tarp shelter makers all make a big deal out of that one....but to buy this tarp from one of them made pretty (using same materials) would increase the price by well over $100

I’ve been camping floorless, and on occasion a single man tent the last five years in Colorado. Probably 50-60 nights. I use tyvek.

I think I’m about 20 bucks in, none of my gear is ripped or ever got wet. I taped together with duct tape when I needed bigger sheet.

Jellyfish (YouTube) is on hammockforums.net. Same person in video above. She may have some more videos that could be useful to you.

Back