• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Self rescue pouch

fwafwow

The post by @tracker12 about rescue knives got me thinking about the broader question of what else you carry up the tree to self rescue or for other emergencies. I carry at least a tourniquet wherever I go, but please let me know what you think is good to have - an extra eye-to-eye, extra tether and/or rope or cord, and extra carabiner(s)? If it matters, I’m currently on the JRB path. Thanks!

I carry a small first aid kit containing a roll of kerlex, small roll of tape, six 4x4 inch sterile dressings, and 2 trauma dressings, one triangle bandage with extra safety pins; 4 small flashlights, 3 knives, whistle, waterproof match tube with light in the rain matches, 30 foot of 7mm escape rope, spare caribiners, small figure 8, 4 extra prusik cords, 3 ten to 15 foot lengths of paracord. This all fits in a small shoulder pack with my kill kit and toilet paper/folding trowel. Sounds like a lot but it's small and lightweight and gives me peace of mind.

The post by @tracker12 about rescue knives got me thinking about the broader question of what else you carry up the tree to self rescue or for other emergencies. I carry at least a tourniquet wherever I go, but please let me know what you think is good to have - an extra eye-to-eye, extra tether and/or rope or cord, and extra carabiner(s)? If it matters, I’m currently on the JRB path. Thanks!

@fwafwow - I carry several extra items for self rescue and/or “setup/descent problem solving” in one of the pouches on my saddle:

(2) 8’ dyneema versa-straps (or Amsteel daisy chains): They are so lightweight & compact I don’t even notice them, but super-versatile since you can use them to lengthen a strap for your platform or ROS on a large diameter tree and you can fashion a tether/footloop/lineman belt in a pinch if you carry a spare carabiner.

(1) Beal Jammy and (1) spare 6’ hank of hitch cord: Either of which can be used to replace a damaged friction hitch in a pinch

(1) spare ATC: In case I drop my primary one

(1) tether w/friction hitch & locking carabiner

Also note that I keep a few spare locking carabiners on the MOLLE loops on my saddle.

All of the above (and my rescue knife that’s on my saddle’s belt) are ON me when I’m in the saddle so they’re always accessible if I’m uninjured. Also on me at all times is my cell phone, which is tethered to me with shock cord so I can’t drop it to the ground. I keep it in a breast pocket of my shirt or jacket for easy access. If I had a personal locator beacon or a Garmin inreach (or similar satellite communication device), that would also be ON me and always accessible at all times.

I raise and lower my backpack separate from my climb - consequently the items in it are not always immediately accessible. In one of the OUTER pockets of my pack is an IFAK with bandages and sterile gauze and Quik Clot to stop the bleeding if I get a really bad cut. I also keep a can of bear spray on the waist belt of my backpack for an encounter with an over-curious or aggressive bear.

Hope this helps.

I have a molle pouch on my saddle that has backup fig 8, spare biners, and a foot loop. A good knife is attached to molle loops on saddle. I have a small trauma kit in my pack (quick clot, tourniquet, gauze, etc) I also keep a spare tether in my pack.

Uz guz learn the munter or super munter and uz don't need extra stuff to rappel if uz dropped primary device

Very true - but I always seem to introduce twist in my rope when I use the Munter, even using the rappelling technique that is supposed to prevent that. So I’ve been using an ATC instead - it’s just a personal preference of mine. If the Munter is working for you - great!

My rappel rope pouch is clipped into my saddle at the beginning of the climb, I’m climbing with sticks and a lineman’s belt. And I’m rappelling with a Madrock Safeguard.

In the outer pocket of my rappel rope pouch (Orca water bottle pouch) is a SMC Escape 8 and Hollowblock in case I dropped my Safeguard and couldn’t retrieve it. The Escape 8 is meant for firefighters as part of a bailout kit, very small and light.

On the back of my saddle is a Leatherman Signal in a Miles Tactical magnetic closure pouch so I always have a knife, saw, whistle, and fire starter.

On and in my bag are a CAT 7 tourniquet, NAR 4” compression dressing, combat gauze, chest seals x2, and thoracostomy needle. I also have the NAR Survival Wrap, which would be more useful than a small space blanket in Minnesota.

I keep stuff spread out on purpose so I have options and if something (like a whole pouch) gets dropped I've got another backup. On my right hip (saddle connected) I have a water bottle pouch that had my rappel rope and an extra descender and a length of accessory cord that could be used on an oh s#it situation as a tether etc. On my left hip saddle pouch I have a tether in it, and it's where my LB rides but that's typically around the tree if I'm climbing. Either could be used as a temporary tether/2TC. In my front pocket I have an amsteel daisy chain and my Leatherman is on my belt, second knife in pack, backup ATC in back.

My pull down cord is 7/64 amsteel, half because I had it, half because it can be life supporting if I need it to having exhausted all these other options.

Yes I carry too much crap, I'm in the newbie becoming not a newbie and paring down the redundancy and weight stage, and generally have relied on my back to carry it instead of my brain to decide I don't need it. The backup ATC for example, could be replaced with more comfort with the minter or super munter hitch. With time and experience will come those decisions.

More of a ramble than answering the question asked, likely not the first or last time I'll do that lol

On and in my bag are a CAT 7 tourniquet, NAR 4” compression dressing, combat gauze, chest seals x2, and thoracostomy needle. I also have the NAR Survival Wrap, which would be more useful than a small space blanket in Minnesota.

I'm similar though I carry a SOF-T Wide and an Israeli when in the woods along with plenty of band-aids. Off duty, I should carry something and am waiting for the ECT's to come back in stock. On duty, I carry a SOF-T Wide in my pocket and H&H Mini Compression bandage, compressed gauze and (2) chest seals on my ankle.

Two biners, hollow block and prusik cord, two dyneema slings, and a ropeman. Also have another full tether/LB with ropeman. Multiple ways to get up or down from just about any pickle I can think of. I don't carry a knife handy no flipping way I'm cutting myself down.

Last edited:
I do SRT so always have a foot loop system with me anyway. But you guys that stick climb and rappel you can tie an alpine butterfly with a loop big enough to put your foot in, stand on it to be able to unload and fix your rappel attachment, reload on rappel mechanism, untie the apline butterfly and continue down. No extra stuff needed.

@fwafwow - You could go that route, but that particular coil is way too bulky and rigid for me, and if/when the silicone stretch-case ages/cracks/breaks, you’ll have to ante up $20 again.

A cheaper DIY option is to purchase about 9’ of 1/8” shock cord (aka bungee cord) and fashion your own for under $3.00.

I’ve made it a habit that whenever I place an order for anything at Eastern Woods Outdoors, I always add about 20’ of shock cord to the order because I always seem to find unplanned uses for it. DanO only charges 25 cents per foot for the stuff, so it’s really cheap and it works great for fashioning retention cords for your range finder, GPS, binos, game calls, cell phone, etc.

Here’s how I fashion it for my cell phone retention cord. The measurements apply to a large format iPhone, which is about 6.25” x 3.25” with the case I’m currently using. Of course you can fashion a similar rig for any size rectangular device, you’ll just have to experiment with it until you get the fit you want…

Attachments

• FBBD36C7-3893-4BA9-8F20-066C8B14FAE7.jpeg
    FBBD36C7-3893-4BA9-8F20-066C8B14FAE7.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 606F2A21-12AC-436C-86F5-8E440167ECA3.jpeg
    606F2A21-12AC-436C-86F5-8E440167ECA3.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DA5215A1-EEB9-4D07-BD75-AF2FF370E56F.jpeg
    DA5215A1-EEB9-4D07-BD75-AF2FF370E56F.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 20
Back