• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewing tubular webbing for aider

Jed33

Curious about how to stitch an aider together out of tubular webbing. I have a speedy stitcher and am looking for recommendations on what thread to use, what stitch to use and also the strongest stitching configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The speedy stitcher can take a regular Singer 110 sewing needle. Nice if you want to avoid cutting fibers with the aggressive SS needle.

I don't believe it is recommended to use a speedy stich to sew weight bearing gear. Search in here there are several threads discussing this and possible solutions. I am sure someone can put som links here for you.

I speedy stitcher is very capable of sewing weight bearing material. I might not use it for life support, but for an aider I would have no qualms about it.

It's not as fast as its name implies, but if you know your thread strength you can figure out how many stitches you need to put in for thousands of pounds of working load.

For a webbing aider, a standard machine will work. Just need a size 18 needle and #69 bonded thread. Triple stich everything and get your thread tension as high as you can and still get a good stitch. If you use the Blue Water tubular webbing on Amazon, its actually pretty easy to sew through.

(https://www.amazon.com/SGT-KNOTS-Bl...5&sr=1-1-f6b8d51f-2c55-4dc3-89ad-0c3639671b2d).

Use a box-X stitch at each webbing to webbing joint.

I would suggest a minimium 4" of overlap on the steps, and 6 inches on the loop(s).

This is how I do all of my webbing aiders (I use amsteel now) and back then, at 270 lbs, I never had a problem.

Tie a knot and stitch the ends down. Now the knot is weight bearing and the stitching is backup. I did this with a speedy stitcher with the thread that comes with it.

Tie a knot and stitch the ends down. Now the knot is weight bearing and the stitching is backup. I did this with a speedy stitcher with the thread that comes with it.
That's what I do, tie a water knot and stitch the ends so they don't come loose.

Back