• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewing webbing

Waylon mark

Will a standard sewing machine sew 2 pieces of webbing together? or should I just whip stitch it how I want, and take it to an upholstery shop.or see if I break needles and knot stuff up lol

It's just seat belt webbing I figured it would but it's my wife's machine it's a singer that does all sorts of quilt stiching .there is an old flip up singer in the shed but idk about sewing machine capabilities at all

It's just seat belt webbing I figured it would but it's my wife's machine it's a singer that does all sorts of quilt stiching .there is an old flip up singer in the shed but idk about sewing machine capabilities at all
Just yesterday I used our cheap Brother to sew some loops with tubular webbing. No problems at all. You might have to mess with the bobbin tension to get even stitches though.

I have #69 & #92 thread. I've been using the 92 for everything. Look up 69 thread and see what size needle. Then make sure your machine can use that size needle. Lots of googling, but once the machine is set up, its well worth it vs speedy stitcher. Ive got a bit of speedy stitcher experience, never again.

Use a ball point needle so that it doesn't cut the webbing. Put the machine on the VVVVV stitch pattern. Experiment with any adjustments to stitch width and spacing and try first on spare webbing. Run it through twice (can do forward and back). It should look like a bar tack on a climbing harness and will be strong. You can get larger needles and use extra strong thread (upholstery, etc). This is the instructions you will see if you google "how to sew a bar tack with a regular sewing machine". I have made four riggers belts this way with 2 rows of bar tacks to hold on Cobra buckles and it works great. You can put as many bar tacks as you'd like, maybe use a sling as a guide etc.

Do not use a speedy stitcher on webbing with the needles it comes with. The needle is sharpened along the sides and is meant for leather (requires cutting on the way in like a little sword) and other item and it cuts the fabric. Sew a bunch with it and then remove the stitches and inspect with a bright light and magnifying glass (you might be able to see light through it if you hold it up). You will find that the threads composing the webbing have been cut with every stitch, thus weakening the webbing. I don't blame anyone for thinking the speedy stitcher is great. It is very convenient and was advocated a lot a while ago to put lineman's loops on rock climbing harnesses. But it weakens webbing. I did a rock climbing harness with it before and now only use it for setting trail cameras up one stick off the ground.

Last edited:
Will a standard sewing machine sew 2 pieces of webbing together? or should I just whip stitch it how I want, and take it to an upholstery shop.or see if I break needles and knot stuff up lol
Generally, a standard sewing machine will not break needles. The motor will stall or a plastic gear might break. You could sew webbing with it by turning the handwheel by hand and feel if it has too much resistance. It will still be faster than hand sewing.

Back