• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewn Aider vs UltimAider

yoda4x4

May 19, 2021
I'm sure I'm overthinking my purchase of a one stick from EWO, but I'm stuck on whether to get a sewn aider or an UltimAider. The stick will be 15" and I believe I could do a 17" step, but then again, that's while wearing a pair of jeans. So maybe I should go with a 15" step??? On the other hand, the UltimAider is adjustable. But it's heavier by 3 or so ounces and the purpose of this stick is to be as light as reasonably possible. So what do you all think?

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Marmuzz

Feb 22, 2021
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
I’d say for the adjustability, the 3 ounces are worth it. Climbing feels very different come winter with extra layers, boots, and cold. Being able to tweak things can make you more comfortable and possibly safer. I have the UltimAider and like it.

Reactions: Iron_llama

Marmuzz

Feb 22, 2021
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
If you do get the UltimAider, are you thinking you’ll have them make it for you, or buy the hardware and webbing from them and assemble it yourself?

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
If this is your first foray into one sticking or aiders I’d recommend you go with the Ultim aider. You may find you like your steps longer or shorter than what your gait or leg length recommended. Some folks like a shorter stick and longer steps or Vice versa. Get the Ultim and play with it.

yoda4x4

May 19, 2021
If you do get the UltimAider, are you thinking you’ll have them make it for you, or buy the hardware and webbing from them and assemble it yourself?
I'll buy it from EWO.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Jeremy_D

Mar 7, 2020
Wisconsin
Guys who own an UltimAider do you have trouble with all those buckles hitting each other and making noise?

Marmuzz

Feb 22, 2021
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
They obviously won’t be as quiet as sewn webbing. I wrap mine in vet tape and it really quiets things down. If you just take a little care handling them when you bundle everything up to wrap the line around the stick for storage or carrying on a pack it’s really pretty silent.

Reactions: Jeremy_D