• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewn eye verses a knot

Sincyrman

What are the advantages/disadvantages to each method. I'm going to be buying some rope, and trying to pick the best method. Help. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure which is better from a strength standpoint but with knots you can create any length you want without having to special order and pay the price.

The advantage of a sewn eye is that it is strong flatter more compact than a knot.
The advantage of a knot is you can customize the length you need, untie it if need be and there are no threads and heat shrink to worry about.

Depends on what you're trying to use the rope for. Tether/lineman's a sewn loop is easier, rappel rope I like a knot because it holds the quick link more solidly, but it's more of a convenience thing

I prefer eyes if the rope I'm using is sliceable. They are much more compact and actually stronger than knots. FWIW @Chrighton posted this link on a code for free eye splices from Wesspur yesterday if you're buying a long enough piece of rope. I've used Wesspur splices before and have been completely happy with them.

Sewing an eye on an old rope makes no sense at all.
Cutting a sewn eye off, when it‘s in your way some day takes just a foot of rope.
The sewn eye is flatter, stronger and lighter.

Thanks for all the responses. That's kind of what a was thinking. I was just hoping that someone on this site would come up with a gotcha that would push me one way or the other. It's decision time.

Splices are best for hitch cords, just have to deal with the stiffness near the eye. Sewn eyes also have the stiffness and are a little bulkier. Tied eyes are bigger, but the cord is flexible up to the knot, and you can adjust the length if needed.
Tethers, linesman’s, and rappel ropes can use any of the three, a bridge would be flexible end to end with knots.

Thanks for all the responses. That's kind of what a was thinking. I was just hoping that someone on this site would come up with a gotcha that would push me one way or the other. It's decision time.
Most of the videos I have seen on knots hitches etc., are tied with sewn eyes…….see @Brocky’s photo for example. I didn’t want to buy the wrong length so I still haven’t bought any sewn eye cords. What I did do is tie them as shown with sewn eyes, but start closing them with a hunters bend. Even my prussik loops are closed with the bend versus the uni or blood type knots. Many options as you’ve already seen……yes, decision time.
As you go through this saddle hunting adventure you will experience some Eureka moments. I know I have several times! Just test out everything at ground level and have fun!

Intellectually, I understand that spliced or sewn eyes are stronger. Emotionally, I'm more comfortable with knots because I can see the knot, and untie and inspect the line itself. Also, if I want to re-configure my hitch, I can easily do so. The added bulk doesn't bother me a bit.

The loop when using a bend might catch on the carabiner gate, or side load the carabiner. If tying a knot after tying the hitch, another option is an overhand, or other stopper knot, in front, or back.
View attachment 83503
I've done that, and, with enough excess cordage I'll tie a couple of knots, resulting in an easy-to-grab handle.

Back