• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shedding antlers early - again?

Jammintree

SH Member
I’ve been observing lots of bucks already without antlers in southern New England. It seems like this is the second year in a row that this has happened. Last year the conditions were potentially stressful and could explain the drop. But I’m curious about why this is happening here again. I wonder if any of you are having similar observations in the regions where you hunt?

IMG_6009.jpeg

hows your buck to doe ratio? main factor in antler drop is if all the does are bred in an area, no reason for bucks to stay in rut and testosterone levels drop, triggering antler drop

hows your buck to doe ratio? main factor in antler drop is if all the does are bred in an area, no reason for bucks to stay in rut and testosterone levels drop, triggering antler drop
I can’t be sure of an accurate ratio. But I can say that it seems like a sudden change from prior years when many bucks held onto their antlers until late January/ early February.

Are you seeing more random bucks on camera or less than before? If so it means the ration is skewed more to the bucks side, which means less does are available.

Less random bucks means the doe ratio is skewed to the doe side so bucks arent moving as much and more chances of having late cycling does longer into the season.

Are you seeing more random bucks on camera or less than before? If so it means the ration is skewed more to the bucks side, which means less does are available.

Less random bucks means the doe ratio is skewed to the doe side so bucks arent moving as much and more chances of having late cycling does longer into the season.

Just curious, where have you heard that antler drop is related to buck/doe ratio?

I think it was MSU deer lab that I once heard reference a study that showed the main contributor to antler drop was nutrition. The better nutrition and healthier the buck the longer he would hold antlers.
This was my explanation for last years early drop - there were zero acorns. This year had some acorns but fields have remained green longer than usual. We didn’t have a bumper acorn year, but there have been some.

This was my explanation for last years early drop - there were zero acorns. This year had some acorns but fields have remained green longer than usual. We didn’t have a bumper acorn year, but there have been some.
At this time of year 80+ % of a deers diet is woody browse. Even if you had a good acorn crop or green fields longer than usual, a lack of browse could lead to poor nutrition at this time of year.

They are losing them here in Kansas also, several bucks on camera with 1 side

At this time of year 80+ % of a deers diet is woody browse. Even if you had a good acorn crop or green fields longer than usual, a lack of browse could lead to poor nutrition at this time of year.
Yea exactly - we’ve got browse. There’s plenty of logging in this area. Stump suckers, regen whips and briars are easy to find.

Just realized you’re in New England area. Is this early for your area? I’m several hours south of you and it’s typical for some bucks to start dropping this time of year. Some will hold them until February or later but some start dropping now.

A couple years ago I shot a small buck with the muzzleloader the last weekend of December. The buck had two antlers when I pulled the trigger. He dropped immediately on the shot but, when I walked up to him he didn’t have antlers. I had to dig in the snow to find them, they both fell off when he hit the ground.

Just realized you’re in New England area. Is this early for your area? I’m several hours south of you and it’s typical for some bucks to start dropping this time of year. Some will hold them until February or later but some start dropping now.

A couple years ago I shot a small buck with the muzzleloader the last weekend of December. The buck had two antlers when I pulled the trigger. He dropped immediately on the shot but, when I walked up to him he didn’t have antlers. I had to dig in the snow to find them, they both fell off when he hit the ground.
Yeah it’s normal for some of our bucks to drop in late december. But the last two seasons it seems like they are all shed before the new year.

Just curious, where have you heard that antler drop is related to buck/doe ratio?
Its not directly related insofar that if the ratio dictates the antler drop but it would serve as an indicator that that its more likely to occur sooner or later based on available does for servicing. One buck with a lot of does around can go on rutting longer into the season. Same buck with no does to chase anymore, which indicates a high buck to doe ratio, will not stay in the rut as long without having to travel to search out does.

Its not directly related insofar that if the ratio dictates the antler drop but it would serve as an indicator that that its more likely to occur sooner or later based on available does for servicing. One buck with a lot of does around can go on rutting longer into the season. Same buck with no does to chase anymore, which indicates a high buck to doe ratio, will not stay in the rut as long without having to travel to search out does.
I hunt all over the western half of my state and I’ve observed antler drop to be ubiquitous. I’m hard pressed to think that the ratio is homogenous over such a large area and am more inclined toward environmental factors as a cause, but I could definitely be wrong about that. I’m definitely not using trail cameras in a way that would give me an accurate read on both buck and doe populations.

I’m hoping some of my neighboring hunters from the forum will chime in with their observations and historical knowledge. It’s certainly possible that my observations are not representative or accurate.

I hunt all over the western half of my state and I’ve observed antler drop to be ubiquitous. I’m hard pressed to think that the ratio is homogenous over such a large area and am more inclined toward environmental factors as a cause, but I could definitely be wrong about that. I’m definitely not using trail cameras in a way that would give me an accurate read on both buck and doe populations.

I’m hoping some of my neighboring hunters from the forum will chime in with their observations and historical knowledge. It’s certainly possible that my observations are not representative or accurate.
This makes me wonder what would trigger an antlered doe to drop.

You must be nearby MA or RI. You describe my same CT hunting areas this and last year to a T.

Was pretty surprised to pick up this pair on the 10th of Jan last year, within 75yds of each other. That was early.

Even though there were acorns this year, i suspect that next year may be even worse than last. Deer numbers/sightings are greatly reduced and I've traveled to many different areas of the state with similar findings.

Lot of mature mast producing trees dying off in my areas. Many with diseased tops showing they're likely to be dead next season. Be it having been brought on by gypsy moth caterpillars in recent years past or I don't know what, its not been a good transformation. Lot of beech trees also diseased/dying with black mold. This making for a much more open canopy and these same areas now have really brushed up and getting to the point of impenetrable soon, as if they'd been clear-cut . It's not been an easy past couple seasons.

Attachments

• 20230114_145335_10.jpg
    20230114_145335_10.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 8
Back