• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sheepfeet alternative

bigmike23

I really like my Sheepfeets. Can't complain about them at all but I always like trying new things. I saw that superfeet has a custom 3d printed insole. Only problem is you have to get your foot and walking gait 3d scanned at select stores only. Luckily, I had a store some 45 minutes away who could do it. It was a really cool process and when finished, a program on a ipad tells you every single thing you can think of about your feet. Arch height, width of feet, exact length, where you put pressure when you walk. Everything.
They have a thin model and the max cusion model. I went with the max.
I've been walking in them the last couple of days and I can't tell a lick of difference from them and the almost double price Sheepfeets. The padding on the Superfeets is actually thicker than the double cusion Sheepfeets.
For 149$ and a custom orthotics I think they're a steal. 20230520_200945_compress56.jpg20230520_200951_compress36.jpg

Thanks for posting this. My foot doctor recommended custom insoles. I will pick them up next week. The doctor took a imprint in some type of stuff and sent it off. I have never had or used custom insoles. I don't know how thick they are, so not sure if they will fit in my boots and shoes.
How do the superfeets fit in your boots or shoes?

I have 2 pair of the sheepfeet full and a 3/4 sole. Use them everyday. I really think they relieved a lot of my back pain. Might have to try these out.

With either option, are these trim to fit? Is that easy or kind of a pain? Are they good for both standing in a shop and active like running or gardening type stuff? ( yes we have mats not just concrete but that's not perfect either) I'm totally ignorant here but there is a superfeet place close enough

Yes they are both trim to fit. Trimming can suck if you dont have sharp scissors. A sharp knife doesn't work good. Youll probably ruin them. Harbor freight sells a cheap but heavy duty and very sharp pair that worked great out of the box.
I learned quite a bit with that program too. I always thought I was a D width foot. I'm actually an E width. That's why I sometimes struggle with standard footwear, and wide sizes are too wide for me.
I did not have to trim the superfeets. For my Crispis or Kenetreks.

The insoles I ordered from the doctor, $300, are not covered by Medicare or my other insurance.
On the up side I talked to the Superfeet store 2 hours away, explained my foot problems. I told him I did know if my doctor insoles would make my shoes or boots too tight. And I may be interested in his custome insoles. Anyway he said he would 3d my feet for free even if I did not buy any insoles.
Edit; I asked how much the 3d was if I did not need insoles but I wanted to learn more about my feet, am I really a D width? That's when he offered to do the 3d at no charge.

Last edited:
Ill add the more I use them, I think in hindsight I'd have gone with the standard thickness. The max are the thickest insoles I've ever used. My Crispis work okay with them, but my kenetreks are pretty cramped.

Thanks for posting this. My foot doctor recommended custom insoles. I will pick them up next week. The doctor took a imprint in some type of stuff and sent it off. I have never had or used custom insoles. I don't know how thick they are, so not sure if they will fit in my boots and shoes.
How do the superfeets fit in your boots or shoes?

I ve had these from podiatrist for decades

I went with the rigid half insole and they fit any shoe

I just switch them shoe to boot for the day

they add thickness so I remove the factory insole

The insoles I ordered from the doctor, $300, are not covered by Medicare or my other insurance.
On the up side I talked to the Superfeet store 2 hours away, explained my foot problems. I told him I did know if my doctor insoles would make my shoes or boots too tight. And I may be interested in his custome insoles. Anyway he said he would 3d my feet for free even if I did not buy any insoles.
Edit; I asked how much the 3d was if I did not need insoles but I wanted to learn more about my feet, am I really a D width? That's when he offered to do the 3d at no charge.

my insurance only covered half and I had to pay $200

weird that insurances treat feet, teeth, and eyes differently than say something more optional like an earlobe or fingernail

i guess I could have hobbled around with flat feet for 20 years and then let them pay for the resulting knee replacement

The first time I got orthotics I was still on active duty. I got two pairs, one rigid plastic with no padding to wear with Oxfords; the other pair was the exact same thing with a thin Neoprene footbed glued on top, for running shoes. Granted, technology is much better now than when we sailed on wooden ships, but if you've got a pair of boots you love with a tight toe-box, maybe an orthotic with less cushion would work for you.

The first time I got orthotics I was still on active duty. I got two pairs, one rigid plastic with no padding to wear with Oxfords; the other pair was the exact same thing with a thin Neoprene footbed glued on top, for running shoes. Granted, technology is much better now than when we sailed on wooden ships, but if you've got a pair of boots you love with a tight toe-box, maybe an orthotic with less cushion would work for you.

I find that putting my foot in a good position makes me not miss the padding.

I've also had good luck with the half inserts that you can get from Dr Scholls. Standing on the machine made them suggest the 550 (I believe) which is the highest arch (I think) and it works well. I still remove my factory insole and put the insoles directly on the shoe bottom.

I find that putting my foot in a good position makes me not miss the padding.

I've also had good luck with the half inserts that you can get from Dr Scholls. Standing on the machine made them suggest the 550 (I believe) which is the highest arch (I think) and it works well. I still remove my factory insole and put the insoles directly on the shoe bottom.
Dr. Scholls are definitely my go-to. I don't think I have any shoes without an insole of some sort in them, and the Dr. Scholls high arch support running products improve pretty much everything. There are only a few pairs of boots that I own (interestingly enough, Solomon and Belleville) that I needed to find something else.

I have worn orthotics most my life and could not get Sheep Feet to work. They were awesome about working with me and trying to get them to fit but I could not get rid of the pain. I am an odd case and Sheep Feet refunded me for the two pairs. Great company!!
I’ll try these superfeet for sure.

I just so happened to have my annual physical last week and discussed orthotics with my MD. So now I've got an appointment with the podiatrist. We'll see what HealthPartners says about coverage.

I picked up my custom insoles. Doc said it will take a while for my feet to get accustomed to them. Only wear them a couple hour a day.
They fit good in my Meindl shoes and boots. They do not fit in my sneakers. I am going next week to the Superfeet store and get their advice.

Back