• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Single pin sights

woods89

Nov 13, 2014
I'm planning on trying a single pin slider for the first time this fall. I was wondering what everybody's thoughts were on sight choices. I'm also looking for any tips or recommendations as far using one.

Maybe a description of my hunting style is in order. I hunt 100% public land here in the Missouri Ozarks. Most of my locations are limited by brush to 30 yard shots or less with archery equipment. I rarely get a chance to use my rangefinder on shot ops but I do use one to pre range various objects when I set up. I have had issues in the past with just dumping my pin stack on the vitals and shooting in the heat of the moment which leads to less than ideal shot placement. My plan is to leave it set on 20-25 all the time which should get me out to 30 with very little hold over. The single pin I'm shooting right now is a fairly inexpensive one that came with a used bow I bought but if I like the concept I'll probably look for a better one next year.

I've also wondered about 2nd and 3rd axis adjustment. Terrain makes some of my shots pretty steep. Is this important to some of you?

Looking forward to a bunch of good info!

stl tree hugger

May 16, 2015
boy can I ever relate with you I too have the same shooting conditions in Missouri but not public land, and and had consistency shot placement issues at dawn and dusk. After many shooting changes and different sights I finally figured it out I had issues focusing on the target threw 4 and 5 pins especially when there lite up. So I started with a Sabo sight (didn't care for it because the lense would get debris and water in wet weather) then I found the Vital X and fell in love all my problems were solved. once my yardage markers were set up I set it at 25 and called it good. hope this helps good luck

Attachments

• 1432689927012-723834396.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 297

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
I use an HHA optimizer lite ultra single pine slider sight with the .19 pin and 1 5/8" sight housing. It's a very, very well built, easy to use, and extremely adjustable. I went with the slider because I also do 3D shoots and practice in my backyard out to 60 and sometimes 80 yards.

If you are shooting a higher speed bow (250+ FPS) when you set it up you will sight it in from 20 to 60 yards. This will help create a very flat shot trajectory from 10-20 yards. For shots beyond 20 you can practice either placing your pin slightly high or a very quick, fast adjustment lets you dial it in down to the yard.

I hunt MI generally inside of timber and occasionally field edges. Most of my stands are setup for shots under 30 yards, as I most likely wont get one beyond that anyway.

Outside of reducing the clutter of multiple pins in your sight window I found my groups tighten up considerably and my confidence boost as a result of using a single pin sight.

HHA also makes an optimizer light that has no adjustment - which might be perfect for you if you don't anticipate needing to make shots beyond 30 yards.

The only complaint I have with this sight is that I didn't get the smaller .10 sight pin... other than that awesome sight and I highly, HIGHLY recommend for both 3D archery and hunting.

woods89

Nov 13, 2014
D_rek I've been looking at hha's and if I like hunting with a single pin I will likely go that route. I saw you have the 1 5/8" housing, any thoughts on that vs the 2"?

Thanks for the info!

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
I probably would have went with the larger housing if it was available at the shop when I bought mine. Never hurts to have a larger sight window for hunting IMO. Plus I had to step down my peep size from 1/4" to 3/16". Not a big because I have very good eye sight but some people prefer a larger peep dia and sight window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woods89

Nov 13, 2014
OK ya I'm thinking if I get one I will probably try to get the 2" housing. Appreciate it!

Constankane

Jun 17, 2015
123 street
YAHOO
Constanten@outlook.com
I would add another benefit of fixed-pin sights is their shooting lane readability. Let me explain… Whenever I have a shot past 20 yards with any brush around, I always check the shooting lane at all distances leading up to the pin. Just because you have a gap at 40 yards, doesn't mean the lane is clear at 20. The arrow drops. I have heard nightmare tales of arrows hitting branches at 20 yards in a seemingly clear lane. You don't have the luxury of quickly following the realistic flight path of the arrow with a single pin setup.