• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Single vs 2 Panel Saddle

TurkeyBum

I want to start this off stating that I am not bashing any saddles everyone is different. However, my results with a 2-panel saddle have not been what I expected. I have been running a Curzr XC for a season and half, love it and think it is one of the most comfortable saddles out there. However, I recently got the itch to try 2-panel saddles. I did a lot of research and purchased a Buzzards Roost 3-weeks ago and sat it for 5-hunts totaling about 18-20 hours. There was a lot to love about the saddle, best bridge design I've ever used. However, it wasn't very comfortable for me. I got pinching in my upper hips and along the lower part of my but/thigh. For me I think its because of the width of the saddle at the 4 bridge loops is too narrow. I tried every different bridge location, longer shorter tether etc. It just wasn't a comfortable as leaner or sitting saddle.

I still had the idea that, after a lot of research that a 2-panel saddle should be more comfortable so I ordered a Cruzr Archon. I sat it for 3-hunts this past weekend for a total of about 12-hours. It was better for me than the Buzzard Roost. However, again for me, no hip pinch but I do get some pressure points along my lower hip joint, if I got rid of that pressure it put to much pressure on my lower back. I think I figured out why both these 2-panel saddles are giving me this minor hip pain. It is the webbing strap across the top of the lower panel that is pushing into my side. I went back to my XC and didn't have this issue, I believe it is because the mesh in the pleat is stretchy and the webbing strap on the top of the lower panel, is rigid.

Long Story to ask a questions, has anyone else had this issue with a 2-panel saddle? I was contemplating ordering a Overwatch transformer or an ESS. However, I'm going broke buying saddles and just don't want another 2-panel that disappoints in the comfort category. I like a lot of the aspects of the 2-panel saddles just not sure they are as comfortable as my Cruzr XC. Any input from other saddle hunters would be appreciated.

I have a Cruzr XC and a Latitude Method 2. I appreciate the lower profile of the Method 2 for walking in when the panels are stacked. I like the rope belt instead of a buckle. I find it fairly comfortable and will probably hang onto it, but that said, I still prefer the XC.

I want to start this off stating that I am not bashing any saddles everyone is different. However, my results with a 2-panel saddle have not been what I expected. I have been running a Curzr XC for a season and half, love it and think it is one of the most comfortable saddles out there. However, I recently got the itch to try 2-panel saddles. I did a lot of research and purchased a Buzzards Roost 3-weeks ago and sat it for 5-hunts totaling about 18-20 hours. There was a lot to love about the saddle, best bridge design I've ever used. However, it wasn't very comfortable for me. I got pinching in my upper hips and along the lower part of my but/thigh. For me I think its because of the width of the saddle at the 4 bridge loops is too narrow. I tried every different bridge location, longer shorter tether etc. It just wasn't a comfortable as leaner or sitting saddle.

I still had the idea that, after a lot of research that a 2-panel saddle should be more comfortable so I ordered a Cruzr Archon. I sat it for 3-hunts this past weekend for a total of about 12-hours. It was better for me than the Buzzard Roost. However, again for me, no hip pinch but I do get some pressure points along my lower hip joint, if I got rid of that pressure it put to much pressure on my lower back. I think I figured out why both these 2-panel saddles are giving me this minor hip pain. It is the webbing strap across the top of the lower panel that is pushing into my side. I went back to my XC and didn't have this issue, I believe it is because the mesh in the pleat is stretchy and the webbing strap on the top of the lower panel, is rigid.

Long Story to ask a questions, has anyone else had this issue with a 2-panel saddle? I was contemplating ordering a Overwatch transformer or an ESS. However, I'm going broke buying saddles and just don't want another 2-panel that disappoints in the comfort category. I like a lot of the aspects of the 2-panel saddles just not sure they are as comfortable as my Cruzr XC. Any input from other saddle hunters would be appreciated.
I’m the same way. When I sat in both they were nice and well built but I can’t stand the secondary straps across my hips for this reason I’ll always be a single panel with a back band kind of guy

Everyone is different. I have not meet a single panel saddle I like.
Either pressure on the top or the bottom strap. Maybe it is my big fat _____.

Using a Transformer and trying a dryad this season. I use a backhand with both.

I have tried a Recon, Method and Transformer and although all were well built saddles I couldn’t get comfortable in any of them. The Cruzer XC is also the most comfortable saddle I’ve tried. Two panels work for a lot of people but there are some of us that they just don’t. Stick with your XC if you love it.

I had an Aerohunter Merlin, size 2. I'm a big guy, 6'3", 44 inch waist, 315 lbs. It was fine for a while, but eventually the bottom 1 inch webbing would dig in bad and start to get uncomfortable. No matter what i did, that webbing always ended up back in the same spot. I used it for 2 full seasons and one sit this season.

I switched to the Method 2 xl, and it's been great so far. I can keep the bottom panel from hitting the same spot easily, the top panel can be a great lower back support, and I can also nest them to be good for leaning. The only thing I don't like is the amsteel bridge and knots. Adjusting that is atrocious once I've weighted it. I may switch that out for a rope bridge and cord to be able to adjust it more easily.

I have both the ESS and the Transformer and I never had any hip pinch or comfort issues. I have a Cruzr XC and a Areo Hunter Flex. The only saddle that I had issues with was a old Trophyline Neoprene saddle years ago. I really liked the Anderson sling saddle that I used back in the 80s. I really like 2 panel saddles because of the adjustability that 2 panels give you

In my experience it depends on where the tether is and how far you like to lean out/ back. If I've got room or want to lean more I find that my single panel is more comfortable, odd to me I also like the single better for sitting. But if it's tight quarters or you like to be fairly straight up or not lean back very far the two panel is the ticket with more coverage and more even pressure

I tried a couple 2 panel saddles this past off season. A transformer and a recon. Gave them both a fair shake testing them several times and also using them while testing other gear. Wasn’t happy with either of them. Found it much more difficult to get comfortable and both also had a lot more fiddle factor just trying to get them on and situated. If there was a single word to describe them for me, it would be “annoying”. Personal opinion. The 2 panel saddles just weren’t for me. Sold the transformer but kept the recon to use as a “work saddle” for hanging pre-sets, etc. which is actually why I bought that one second hand in the first place. Really using it as more of a glorified lineman’s belt and it fills that role just fine. Went back to my single panel for hunting.

i lean 95% of the time, so i think a 2 panel would not be good for me

i just need my rear cupped comfortably with the ability to expand the back to sit for a bit to change positions

i have a cruzr xc as my backup and a woods hunting saddle as primary, probably do a review in the spring

I switched to the Method 2 xl, and it's been great so far. I can keep the bottom panel from hitting the same spot easily, the top panel can be a great lower back support, and I can also nest them to be good for leaning. The only thing I don't like is the amsteel bridge and knots. Adjusting that is atrocious once I've weighted it. I may switch that out for a rope bridge and cord to be able to adjust it more easily.

Hey Empo, one of the saddles I was just talking to you about in the 2TC thread is a Method.
You're right about adjusting the bridge. It's a b!tch.
What I did was add a rope bridge ABOVE the Amsteel bridge... :hearteyes:

I tried a handful of single panels and will never sit in one again. Only 2 panel I have any experience with is an ess and I absolutely love it. The only time I miss a one panel is when I’m one sticking but even still the ess is fine just not as supportive feeling.

Different strokes for different blokes, I guess. I'm using an overwatch transformer and love it. Wear it a bit loose so the top panel/belt sits below my actual belt, open the panels up a fair bit so the lower panel is under my bum, run a long tether, and once set up, give the d-rings a solid push downward and the fiddling is done. Nothing pinches in hips, belts, or the lower panel. I wonder if something like the overwatch orion would be good for you. Sorta best of both worlds?

I think you may like the transformer. But maybe just stick with the cruzr xc. I’ve been going down the rabbit hole of multiple saddles. Now I have 3 different ones that I like and can’t make up my mind which one I like most haha

I've owned a Cruzr XC and it was a great saddle. I ended up buying a Recon 2 panel and really liked it, so I ended up selling the XC since I wasn't using it. I guess I fall squarely into the 2-panel camp for my personal use. I've even made a few Wraptor 2 panel saddles. I got the small size Recon. I am a 30 inch waist and 150 pounds so that will factor in. To me the Recon is just nice and small and comfortable. I also don't use pouches, or anything attached to the Recon, and I climb 2TC.

If you like the XC, stick with it. It's a great saddle.

I have an Archon with maybe 25 hours in it this season, 4 hours being about the longest. It took me a little while early on the figure out where I like everything but now that I've got it dialed in I've got no issues. I've never noticed the webbing on the bottom panel so I almost wonder if it's a fit issue. I liked the idea of a 2 panel thinking I'd move the second panel around based on sitting/leaning but I found an in between that works well for me in both situations. My feet hurt if I lean too much but that is the only discomfort I've noticed.

I was looking at the tree ninja tonight looks nice. Is it heavy looks like it would be?

About 3oz heavier than my AH Flex (size2). That's for the Blackbelt XL.

It doesn't pack down as well as other options, because of the padding. But it's brilliant for comfort.

CD0E1AE3-561A-44B1-A207-C807CD7AA5EE.jpeg
7BE68659-E0DF-4C6C-8984-0F01289C8C38.jpeg

I have an Archon with maybe 25 hours in it this season, 4 hours being about the longest. It took me a little while early on the figure out where I like everything but now that I've got it dialed in I've got no issues. I've never noticed the webbing on the bottom panel so I almost wonder if it's a fit issue. I liked the idea of a 2 panel thinking I'd move the second panel around based on sitting/leaning but I found an in between that works well for me in both situations. My feet hurt if I lean too much but that is the only discomfort I've noticed.

That’s why I wanted a 2-panel I sit and lean about 50/50, so I was thinking the adjustability of a 2 panel would be awesome. Think I’m just going to keep trying the archon and using my XC.

Back