• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit drag, do you need an RC harness as well?

Mag1

ok guys, I’ve got the sit drag, never used as of yet. I have an RC harness that I use with my LW. Do I need to use a harness along with the sit drag? Just curious as to what guys are using in a minimalist way. Lots of long walks in and want to lighten the gear load as much as possible, but still need to be safe.
Thanks for any input

My first year I used one every hunt and by the second I was comfortable/confident enough to not use a RC harness at all. The general recommendation is to use one, especially if you are not used to saddle hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s the safe thing to do since the sitdrag isn’t intended to be used off the ground. Also add a waist belt to the sitdrag to keep it in position.

I just went through my first season of saddle hunting. I started off using the RC harness until I got comfortable. Then I removed it. But what I started to do was take my linemans belt run it through one loop and attach to the other to where if I did fall it would cinch the sit drag around me. My plan this summer it to add some kind of leg straps to where I know there is no way possible for me to come out of it.

I wore one for a few sits. Then I just used the sitdrag. You can try to fall out of it. I say you cannot. Not even out of a bone stock sitdrag. Try it. Now the sitdrag can fail. Just like a meteor can fall from the sky and hit you in the way to the bathroom at a Braves game on a Tuesday.

But that just me I don’t recommend doing what I do. You may enjoy it to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just tried my sit Drag in stock configuration. Very uncomfortable on my hips. My waistline is 36 and I weigh about 220lb. What is the best way to get comfortable with the drag? My hips are kinda sore after 20 minutes of testing. Is that normal ? I don't even have a rc harness yet. Im hoping for better days ahead but the squeeze was a little more than expected, especially since I have a Guido web. I wanted something for hot weather cause the web is to hot for over 60 temps.

I just tried my sit Drag in stock configuration. Very uncomfortable on my hips. My waistline is 36 and I weigh about 220lb. What is the best way to get comfortable with the drag? My hips are kinda sore after 20 minutes of testing. Is that normal ? I don't even have a rc harness yet. Im hoping for better days ahead but the squeeze was a little more than expected, especially since I have a Guido web. I wanted something for hot weather cause the web is to hot for over 60 temps.

How long was your bridge? Tether hight?

Im just getting started with the drag and not sure on anything about setup on it since it has no bridge installed by me. I know the angle on both bridge an

And height are critical but I don't know if it will be enough to remove the squeeze. I may just have to make do till I get used to it.

I think you would like about a 26-28” bridge and have your tether about eye high. That’s about what I have. I’m 5’7” been 219-190 it seems like that’s about where I had mine.

Truthfully all over
Sitting it would be lower like a swing and I could lean with it high or lower and would adjust it for comfort as needed. Try a back band it will change comfort level drastically. Imho

I guess moving it around is probably good. I guess I expected it be less moving. Im sure a kestrel is less a challenge to setup but at $300 and I just spent that last year on my Web, I'm trying this first. I do have webbing to make a bridge to try and I'll be experimenting some. Comfort is important for less movement and being spotted less.

I agree. I got very used to my sitdrag. I was very comfortable in it. I will say my first sit in a Kestrel was less than stellar. It was to small but my sitdrag was more comfortable. And I mean leaps and bounds more comfortable. My new Kestrel is a size 2 and comfortable from my short sits in it.

What have you found to be the best positioning of the drag on the hip area? Thanks for your help !

The sit drag is a leaners saddle, not a sitters saddle. I typically set up with a very short bridge, and my tether positioned about nose high.

@BigAl my guess is that the SitDrag is going to be tough for you to get super comfortable. It seems like it fits smaller guys a bit better. If you keep at it, your hips will get used to it, but IMO, you might want to search for other options.

Back