• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit Drag with a Rock Climbing Harness

cowboyup_again

Saddlers I am new to this and am attempting to put together my first saddle. I have been using the one stick climbing method with a RC harness and a hang on stand for a few years now and the natural progression has occured.
So I want to keep the linemans belt attachments on my Rock Climbing harness in case I want to use my hang-on stand but if not I will use the Saddle. So, should I put the Sit Drag saddle in a pouch and hang it from my RC harness as I climb the tree and pull it out and employ it at hunting height? Or somehow attach it with a belt or clips fully deployed and hang pouches from it for the walk in and subsequent climb? If I fully deploy it while climbing and walking in, I worry it will get in the way and how would i keep it from hanging down around below my hips like a gangster rapper? I
have searched the forum but haven't found any stickies that show how to employ a sit drag with a rock climbing harness.

Making a belt for the SitDrag is a popular solution.

I used to hang mine from my Linesman's belt loops with elastic. I have pulled the bridge over and behind my head like suspenders *but be thoughtful about wearing things around your neck while climbing.

However you do it, it is more convenient to have it in place and ready to go.

If you set yours up just like the one in g2's video you won't be disappointed mine is pretty much identical but I opted for a slightly thicker pad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I saw that video and it was a great help and one that originally got me thinking of saddle hunting. My question is when wearing that over a RC harness does it interfere when climbing or walking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How do you plan to get around branches?
I have my lineman's attachments on my rock climbing harness and use a lineman's belt made out of 8mm, a prussic, and a carabiner. When going around branches I use the lineman's attachment and my belt while standing on my single lonewolf stick. Once I attach my lineman's belt i move my main attachment over the branch and attach it to my harness again.

A sit drag needs a belt even if you decide to keep it in a pouch while climbing. Otherwise if you stand up and get slack in your tether it will fall around your knees.

A sit drag needs a belt even if you decide to keep it in a pouch while climbing. Otherwise if you stand up and get slack in your tether it will fall around your knees.
Interesting, now thats something that you don't learn without experience. Thank you! So do people normally keep pouches on the sit drag then or keep everything in a backpack?

That's why we practice just off the ground. Especially when using something outside of what it is designed for. I watched g2 video on the sit drag. Thought I'm not going to need a belt since I'm not putting it on until in the tree. The first time I practiced using it I pulled on my tether adjusted the prussik and just as I went to lean back the sit drag fell to my knees. I'm glad I figured that out at ground level. Same goes for a stopper knot on the tether.

I use a backpack. I like the sitdrag with no belt because I like to move it around for sitting different positions.

Im new to this as well but I did my Sitdrag like g2 & have no problems walking in with it on. I also just loosen the belt on it to change positions.

Interesting, now thats something that you don't learn without experience. Thank you! So do people normally keep pouches on the sit drag then or keep everything in a backpack?
I don't like anything hanging from a sit drag. not enough form. If you use pouches, you want them on your harness.
I sewed a wide elastic loop on the bottom on one end of my SitDrag and I could roll up the SD and secure with the elastic

Back