• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SitDrag setups

Derek0413

Hey all. Not long ago I joined and tried to be talked into trying out a saddle. Well it worked and you guys influenced me enough to cruise the classifieds and I picked up a Sitdrag saddle (thanks Doofy).

So I've got a couple questions now that I've sit in it at ground level.

First thing I noticed is I need some sort of back support. I'm a young guy but I have a horrible lower back and can't imagine sitting hours in the saddle without taking some pressure off. So what are you guys doing for back support? Like what material and how is it attached. It's simple in my mind how to do it but maybe someone has a better idea.

Right now I've got several HSS ropes with a prussic that have came with safety harnesses and some that I've bought off the shelf. It's what I've always used out of my climber. One is way longer than the rest. I never see anyone talk about using them but can't that be my tether and extra lineman rope for getting past trees?

For a platform the deal I bought came with 4 ameristeps on a boat buckle cam strap. I really like them. I was thinking since it's my first year I could just only use them as my platform. Or would anyone recommend going ahead and getting a platform as well.

For climbing method I am set on using sticks due to lease rules on trees and public ground. Leaning towards lone wolf or hawk. Possibly even muddy. What do you all think? For packing them I was going to probably rather strap them tight so they don't clank around use a primos bow sling for a shoulder strap to carry all at once. Either buying four or three with aiders. Don't know yet.

For packing all my ropes and things I'll need going up and setting up I'm thinking of adding a small bag or pouch to my side that sinches up and opens easy allowing me to grab my ropes and stuff. Any certain bag or different way you all are doing that?

Wanting to add I think 2 ropeman1's as I quickly found out how easy it would be to adjust the lineman and tether one handed. Where can I buy these? Is two probably enough or am I not thinking of something?

And I have some other ideas I want to do that will require some sewing on some loops and buckles. The fiancé can sew and we have a machine so that part is covered. I just kind of want to know what materials you all commonly use for different things in your setups. And even where you buy most of your stuff at?

Sorry for such a lengthy post, I figured I'd just knock out all the questions I have so far and see what all gets answered. You guys and this forum are awesome and I appreciate all the information I've been told and read on so far, so thanks a lot to all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try to answer each question.

Back support is nice. The past 2 seasons I haven't used anything and been completely fine. But I don't have back trouble either. This year I'm using a neoprene/webbing camera strap. You don't need much.

Your HSS ropes will work fine for everything. I have a couple I use for tethers. I like a more rigid rope (Bluewater assault) for my lineman belt because it makes it easier to use.

Stick with your Ameristeps for a platform. They're great.

For sticks I use LoneWolf. However, I don't think you can go wrong with some of the other brands. It boils down to personal preference in the end. I LOVE my aiders and highly recommend the CMI 3-step etrier.

The Ropeman is incredible. Buy one for your lineman belt for sure. I have a second on my tether but find it much less useful than the LB.

For the loops on my SD I used nylon webbing from a ratchet strap I had in the garage. For special ropes and straps buy from an arborist shop online or from strapworks.com

Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks g2. That helped out a lot. I wasn't expecting anyone to answer all of them on their own since it was a lengthy post! But thanks! I like the camera strap for back support. I was thinking I might add something to the. Bow sling possibly that I'm going to use to carry in climbing sticks. That way I'm doubling to use of something that really isn't weight bearing.

Thanks g2. That helped out a lot. I wasn't expecting anyone to answer all of them on their own since it was a lengthy post! But thanks! I like the camera strap for back support. I was thinking I might add something to the. Bow sling possibly that I'm going to use to carry in climbing sticks. That way I'm doubling to use of something that really isn't weight bearing.

I have nothing better to do with my time :)

I have nothing better to do with my time :)

Haha well thanks! I've got basically this month and half of next due to having to travel for work so I'm trying to speed up the process of getting all I need so I can practice a bunch

I have a back support from my new tribe that I'd let go... pm me, we'll work something out.

Back