• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Smoke House

swampsnyper

Built my concrete reinforcement with rebar and some mesh to go above and below the rebar. Made it in a "v" pattern to drop the fire as low as possible.

Formed the slab with 2x6s and made a lip around the edge for the smoke house walls to sit into. Added a drain pipe that I will remove after concrete is poured. This will also be a vent though the slab and under the fire.

The rain caught me on the last 2 bags and I made the last batch to soupy so I couldn't form it perfect. Hope being so wet doesn't weaken it to much.
10 80# bags of quickcrete.

Got the 4 walls done with tongue and groove knotted pine. Drilled 1/2inch holes down a 2x4 and ripped it in half for shelf supports. Will give me plenty of options for hanging the 1/2in rods to use to hang meat or supports for trays, pans or grates.

Fit like socks on a rooster! Time to smoke a lil smoke, drink a lil drink!

Its go time. 2 Boston Butts , a pork loin, 2 chickens and 3 racks of ribs. Turned out great!

That's a serious DIY smokehouse! I wasn't sure what I was going to find when clicked the thread link but dang! That'll get the job done.

Me, I splurged on a kamado-style grill 2 summers ago - the Chargriller Akorn. No it's not a fancy ceramic one but man i've grilled and smoked some of the best meals i've ever had on that thing. Still going strong too.

I am totally addicted to cooking wild game in a coal-fired oven or smoking it. I grew up in a family that always tried to mask the flavor of the game meat we were eating (ie: gravy, bacon, etc.) so now i'm finally getting a chance to experience what all of those things I grew up eating *actually* taste like - squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, grouse, woodcock, turkey, venison. Quite amazing the difference in the taste and flavor of game meat when it's cooked properly and not over-cooked.

But man those butts look tasty! I've done 2 on my grill and i've got a shoulder in the freezer that's going to be hitting the rack as soon as I can get a day to pull out the grill.

The green egg is what inspired me. A few friends got them and that thing is awesome. The price and a place to keep it out the weather is a problem for me right now. I would want it set up with a work counter around it and my lil porch doesn't have room to set it up right and I don't want to wheel it out the garage every cook. Got enough stuff crammed in there anyway. So I figured a smoke house was my best option. I wanted to smoke some butts and experiment smoking my own sausage. With my kids starting to hunt my smoke sausage bill is out of control but we love the stuff.

So this is a cold smoker? Looks like you have a ton of smoke based on the inside color. Nice clean build. I built one last fall and smoked/cooked with it over the winter(michigan). Mine is insulated and can be moved via 3pnt on the tractor. I used propane and the big wood chunks for the smoke. I installed a digital 2 probe thermometer and that is the ticket! You can watch tv and know what the inside smoker temp is along with the meat temp.
There is a great forum for smoking, here is a link to my build.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/174038/michigan-insulated-smoke-house

Kenn,

May I please borrow 1/4 of your ingenuity?
This is awesome. Would love to have something like this. I went to the link and watched the progression of the smokehouse. Impressive

huck72412 said:
Kenn,

This is awesome. Would love to have something like this. I went to the link and watched the progression of the smokehouse. Impressive

Sometimes its a curse, my wheels start turning and I can't shut it off. I have a lot of unfinished projects as a result. :cry:

kenn1320 said:
huck72412 said:
Kenn,

Sometimes its a curse, my wheels start turning and I can't shut it off. I have a lot of unfinished projects as a result. :cry:
Oh man, me too! A simple project snowballs into a master piece where it can't just be simple and takes so long to get it like I want I lose interest in it or have to walk away for a while to get motivated again. Can't have just simple!

Kenn / Snyper

We're these projects born out of a love for eating or building?
Truly neat ideas. Did either of you have a schematic or anything to work from? I would love one of these but wouldn't know where to begin.

huck72412 said:
Kenn / Snyper

We're these projects born out of a love for eating or building?
Truly neat ideas. Did either of you have a schematic or anything to work from? I would love one of these but wouldn't know where to begin.

Both in my case. Tired of using the stove to make jerky and love to work with my hands. No plans, walked around my house with a tape measure looking at cabinets and closets trying to get a visual of actual size I wanted. Hindsight, mine is way bigger than I needed. I've had 25lbs of venison summer sausage in it at one time and could have easily fit doubled that.

I was tired of paying to get my deer sausage smoked. Especially since my kids started hunting. Talk about break the bank.
I got a friend that has been doing it for a long time and his was just a simple out house looking one like mine. Figured it was easy enough. Made a few searches online and got a few ideas then just took everything I seen and made what I wanted out of it. No plans, just cut and screwed! Lol

And I finished it right before a big party at my house so I figured it was a good time to break it in. I smoked the pork and chicken in the pics above all day when they were at the house. It was the center of attention. I think they were all gathered around to watch it burn down! Lol I would have never heard the end of that!

I see that this is an old thread, but where is the fire? I see the pipe coming in ... looks impressive my man! Tons of meat at a time. I smoke using UDS. I have 2 that I made, and I also have a pit barrel cooker (which is where the addiction started). But maybe a smoke house like this is something I need in the future!

Back