• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

So, let's talk GA deer hunting

BTaylor

SH Member
Looks like I may have to be Savannah Savannah Danna in October for a conference. I could drive over and with a couple days of vacay get a 4 day hunt in. Am I reading the regs right that for a four day hunt license and tag cost would be $192 using the day hunt license + 3 additional days?

That’s what I’m reading. You’ll have to print out the harvest record and keep it on you when you go out. And the days have to be consecutive to get the cheaper price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what I’m reading. You’ll have to print out the harvest record and keep it on you when you go out. And the days have to be consecutive to get the cheaper price.

Actually looks like you no longer have to have the paper and the app suffices.

Yeah it would be 4 straight days. 18th-21st of October.

Yeah it would be 4 straight days. 18th-21st of October.

That should be it then. All the wmas require check in through the app if you hunt any of them. They all have pretty varying dates of open season too so make sure you pay attention to that as well. Not much to know outside of that, everything else is pretty straightforward.

That should be it then. All the wmas require check in through the app if you hunt any of them. They all have pretty varying dates of open season too so make sure you pay attention to that as well. Not much to know outside of that, everything else is pretty straightforward.

I had not seen the check in deal yet but just kinda getting started looking at everything. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Fort Stewart is a large military base near Savannah and sits on 279,000 acres. I hunted there last season 2 days, which was my first time ever, it is full of deer and hogs. There are a lot of rules to follow but from what I saw it has real potential. There is a camp ground with showers. Not real familiar with it but it is something you might want to consider.

Fort Stewart is a large military base near Savannah and sits on 279,000 acres. I hunted there last season 2 days, which was my first time ever, it is full of deer and hogs. There are a lot of rules to follow but from what I saw it has real potential. There is a camp ground with showers. Not real familiar with it but it is something you might want to consider.
I'm partial to target rich environments. :cool:

@Just_Hangin_N_GA what's the ground like at Fort Stewart and in that general part of the state? Quick look seems like a fair bit of bottoms type ground. Will have to decide if I want to hunt bottoms or head more north to get into the mountains.

Yes, it is more bottom lands than anything else. I usual hunt more central Georgia around the area where I grew up. But yeah, if you want mountain regions head to North Georgia. Good luck either way you decide to go!!!

Looks like I may have to be Savannah Savannah Danna in October for a conference. I could drive over and with a couple days of vacay get a 4 day hunt in. Am I reading the regs right that for a four day hunt license and tag cost would be $192 using the day hunt license + 3 additional days?

Awesome! Download the app and it should have the maps of different areas etc! Should have a choice of places to hunt…good ones too!

If Fort Stewart is anything like Fort Gordon where i hunt. The regulations may seem like a headache when you first get into them. Honestly, not that bad and the property they provide for you to hunt is outstanding.

If Fort Stewart is anything like Fort Gordon where i hunt. The regulations may seem like a headache when you first get into them. Honestly, not that bad and the property they provide for you to hunt is outstanding.
Ok, so I dove into it a few years back. I will admit my mind was baffled to say the least and I just closed the page. I have heard great things about them and will surely have to revisit.
The whole public land hunting in GA can be overwhelming since there are so many different places available. You got the military bases, the WMAs, the Corp properties and then National forest……and few others like VPAs sprinkled in for good measure. This is totally different than having 1 lease, maybe 2 and trying to decide where to go. My biggest challenge is figuring out where to go.

Ok, so I dove into it a few years back. I will admit my mind was baffled to say the least and I just closed the page. I have heard great things about them and will surely have to revisit.
The whole public land hunting in GA can be overwhelming since there are so many different places available. You got the military bases, the WMAs, the Corp properties and then National forest……and few others like VPAs sprinkled in for good measure. This is totally different than having 1 lease, maybe 2 and trying to decide where to go. My biggest challenge is figuring out where to go.
They do have lots of places. I looked a little at Ft. Stewart because it is right there close to Savannah where the conference is but am leaning towards something further west so the Sunday drive isnt too terribly long.

Back