• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

So you all stop asking. Muddy has patent pending on using cam cleat on stick

HuumanCreed

SH Member

For everyone that keep asking why other are not doing it. EWO has been able to get around this because they are custom building you a stick, not marketing a mass produced product.

So if you see Tethrd or LWCG start offering this, it means they pony up the money to use the patent.

This seems to indicate that the patent expired….

This seems to indicate that the patent expired….

Your doc said application expiration 2030 doesnt it?

Your doc said application expiration 2030 doesnt it?

11e986bf943c045189712bd0c737a30d.png

Says status = expired fee related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For everyone that keep asking why other are not doing it. EWO has been able to get around this because they are custom building you a stick, not marketing a mass produced product.

So if you see Tethrd or LWCG start offering this, it means they pony up the money to use the patent.
They can’t get around it by building a custom stick. You can’t sell anything using the patent protected item period. The patent expired due to lack of payment, that’s how they get around it and Ooal sells a stick using a cam cleat now too.

They can’t get around it by building a custom stick. You can’t sell anything using the patent protected item period. The patent expired due to lack of payment, that’s how they get around it and Ooal sells a stick using a cam cleat now too.

Wow, I stand corrected. Learning something new every day here! So you have to keep paying a fee to the patent department to keep your patent active? That seem a little shady to be honest.

Wow, I stand corrected. Learning something new every day here! So you have to keep paying a fee to the patent department to keep your patent active? That seem a little shady to be honest.

lol. You’re just now realizing entities do things to generate continual revenue? Why do you think you gotta buy a hunting license every year? Keep that cash rolling in.

Yes sir, they gotta make their money and annual protections fees are the way.

Without getting too into the weeds of government/money/shady... Because I both agree and disagree but we can't talk politics and just providing a bit of info here as my dad's an inventor and I helped with some patent searches/filings back in the day (again-anecdotal experience here, not a patent lawyer)- my understanding is patent fees come at 3 times during a utility patent, generally 4 year cycles at years 3.5, 7.5 and 11.5 (4/8/12 year renewals). Vary based on size of organization/entity, likely muddy is in largest group so $7400 fee.

The idea being you pay to file, and then pay to renew, and this keeps the patent enforceable. Don't want to enforce it any more? No paperwork to file, just don't pay and it goes away. (You can pay a fee and pay late if you forget so I doubt this was an error) People that work at the patent office and do all of the filing/researching etc behind the scenes need to be paid for their time, don't they? This the fees. The size of the fees and honestly the whole system gets back into that rules hot water area again so will avoid.

Basically what it comes down to is they had a patent at one point which is why the button is popular on pretty much everything else, but then once the stock market was no longer "new", Muddy decided that the 7400 dollar fee to extend the patent wouldn't result in a greater than 7400 benefit to their sales/bottom line, so didn't renew the patent.

Or someone screwed up and got fired. Would be cool if that story came out.

Back