• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT/DRT Setups

TheATLien

I'm constantly looking at ways to access a tree and I've constantly wondered what more people here are using for SRT/DRT methods of climbing. Please share your setup and help others grow here to other options.

I keep switching but the two setups, I'm currently using for SRT is:
Yo-Yo Method
50ft 9mm Canyon Elite - Girth Hitching w/ Petzl Delta link
Mad Rock Safeguard
CT Quick Roll Hand Ascender w/ foot loop

Rope Walker
75ft of Yale Bandit w/ spliced 1" Eye over limb using Alpine Butterfly or Girthed with a Delta link
HitchHiker2 w/ Yale 8mm Bee Line 4'
Camp Foot Ascender
Camp Knee Ascender

Been playing with DRT this off season with the following:
Hitch Climber Setup
75ft of Bandit w/ spliced eye
DMM Hitch Climber Eccentric
8mm Yale Bee Line 28" Sewn Eye to Eye Hitch Cord w/ Michoacan Hitch
Camp Foot Ascender

Back when I climbed srt I was using 30ft of sterling "superstatic II" a grigri2 and a distel hitch. Worked great once I got the line set.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

I used to climb SRT a lot.....using this setup: 40' Sterling HTP, GriGri +, Petzl hand ascender w/foot loop, oval carabiner to create the 3:1, 40 paracord on the end of Sterling HTP (could be preset paracord) to create girth hitch via quick link.

I really liked SRT.....but, I spent 90 seconds climbing, and 90 minutes trying to get the damn rope up the tree. Needless to say, I one stick now.

I hunt elk with saddle. The swirling winds up here make every setup a game-time decision. Very few presets. I do have a couple water holes that I have preset paracord at the ready!

Have fun and be safe!

You already have the ct hand ascender w foot loop, use that to climb on your DRT rope. I use a bachmann knot as the hitch instead of the Blake's. Though just saw a video from NY saddle hunters using a swabish

Back