• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT Questions vs modded Helium stiks

Shane Wink

We dont use SRT as we use a motorized winch to ascend from a hole. All else we use ladders or rappel to the victim. That said how would you quiet down the metal contact? Have yall refined the system for weight and efficiency for hunting? Whats the initial cost and most common brands and setups recommended? Total weight vs total weight of 3 modified helium sticks and steps? Anyone tying off at the base of the tree to be able to recover the line? Whats the mechanical advantage ratio?

50' of rope, throw line and weight, all hardware, is about 3/4lb heavier than one muddy short stick with two step homemade aider for me. (3.75lbs vs. 3)

I've used heat shrink, and stealth strips, and self adhesive camo tape to quiet down everything as much as possible. I feel confident I can be up and down the tree with minimal - if any - metal to metal contact that would be heard over 100' away.

I'm not sure of the mechanical advantage, but with a left hand ascender and foot loop, and looping tag end from grigri to biner on hand ascender, you're using both arms and one leg to lift yourself about 1'-1.5' at a time. If I have a straight shot with no branches to navigate, I can be at 25' in about a minute without breaking a sweat.

Back