• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Srt Rope

bpz89

What is the Best/Safest rope for SRT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, get ready for plenty of opinions! It's going to be super subjective, but people climb on any rated static rope between 8mm and 13mm. The thinner the rope, the more packable and less weight it is, but the thicker the rope the easier it is to grab onto and and the "sturdier" it'll feel. I went from 11mm down to 9mm Canyon C-IV, since it's lighter and less bulky. The Canyon is a pretty popular rope for SRT and One Sticking/Rappelling around these here parts since it's a bit stiffer and supposed to be a good all weather rope.

You just need to make sure whichever rope you do choose, that any gear you're using with it is in spec with that size rope.

Best as in what quality?
Best for mechanical ascenders?
Best for rope hitches?
Best as in lightest?
Best as in strongest?
Best as in packs down the most?
Best as in most comfortable in the hand?
Safest as in what?

We got to narrow it down a little more. What kind of climbing are you looking at doing and what hitches or mechanical devices to you plan to use? Do you care about weight and it’s ability to pack down? What do you mean by safe? Do you want arborist climbing standards of safe rope or are you just looking for rope with a certain MBS (max break strength) to make you feel safe?

What do you want out of the rope? Im not worried about weight or packability as i can handle some weight walking a long way in. Tuffleberger platinum is what I use and really dont expect to change anytime soon. Just know what your belay/rapelling device of choice range of ropes is and go from there

I’m personally kind of fond of the rope that @Weldabeast is using this year.. it’s small, light, strong, has a great color and it’s still stiff for good handling characteristics ;)

I’m personally kind of fond of the rope that @Weldabeast is using this year.. it’s small, light, strong, has a great color and it’s still stiff for good handling characteristics ;)
Oh no....now u done it.
Disclaimer: I can't answer srt/drt/jrb or anything like that questions....

I purchased 80ft of 9mm blue water from wood hunting saddles and 2 7mm sewn eye (VT whatever that means) hitch ropes.....I can only compare against muddy rope and rescutec....muddy rope isn't comparable due to its lower quality...rescutec is smaller/packs better, and I have no complaints other than my piece is only 30 something foot long and I'm gonna be climbing really high up in some big pines this year for observation sits.
The rope itself is 9mm but on the smaller side....it has a very rough sheath like the htp rope but blue water more supple...it's like half way between rescutec and htp...swabalabadingdong hitch functions very smooth.

Weldabeast's dano/nutter satchel get really high setup

Screenshot_20220815-104308~2.pngScreenshot_20220815-104344~2.pngScreenshot_20220815-104341~2.png

Oh no....now u done it.
Disclaimer: I can't answer srt/drt/jrb or anything like that questions....

I purchased 80ft of 9mm blue water from wood hunting saddles and 2 7mm sewn eye (VT whatever that means) hitch ropes.....I can only compare against muddy rope and rescutec....muddy rope isn't comparable due to its lower quality...rescutec is smaller/packs better, and I have no complaints other than my piece is only 30 something foot long and I'm gonna be climbing really high up in some big pines this year for observation sits.
The rope itself is 9mm but on the smaller side....it has a very rough sheath like the htp rope but blue water more supple...it's like half way between rescutec and htp...swabalabadingdong hitch functions very smooth.

Weldabeast's dano/nutter satchel get really high setup

View attachment 69447View attachment 69448View attachment 69449
It sure is pretty fitting all that high strength rope in that sweet sweet fleece satchel bag!!! I’m super jealous lol

What is your poison for ascending descending? Hitch climb, munter rappel? Ascender climb, figure 8 rappel? Or full on belay device such as Madrock safeguard or Petzl gri gri plus? Believe it or not each type has its benefits and can influence which rope would be best

I am looking to use Srt to access lock on stands and hang lock on stands. So I will need to be able to go hands free. I am looking into both mechanical device and friction hitches for ascending and repel. Not sure which One. Madrock made me a little nervous a few times going hands-free. I’ll discuss that issue on here before with seeing it slipping a little bit.Thanks guys.

I am looking to use Srt to access lock on stands and hang lock on stands. So I will need to be able to go hands free. I am looking into both mechanical device and friction hitches for ascending and repel. Not sure which One. Madrock made me a little nervous a few times going hands-free. I’ll discuss that issue on here before with seeing it slipping a little bit.Thanks guys.

I prefer the Petzl gri gri plus for smoother operation and ease of rappel control. A good stiff 9mm rope works great for that and still packs up pretty small.

I prefer the Petzl gri gri plus for smoother operation and ease of rappel control. A good stiff 9mm rope works great for that and still packs up pretty small.

Like sterling HTP? I am about 225lbs 250 with gear.

Like sterling HTP? I am about 225lbs 250 with gear.

Sterling HTP works good. So does the 9mm canyon elite.
Bluewater ropes has the 9mm protac which is my personal favorite And they also have the canyon pro dual sheath. Sterling is the easiest to find but don’t count out the Bluewater ropes. They are awesome.

As a personal preference, I'm running Canyon C-IV with a Madrock.

This ?
0e76873432c335f92291e1f5908ac759.jpg

This ?
0e76873432c335f92291e1f5908ac759.jpg

That's good rope. For length, get more than you think you'll need as any spare length can be cut and used as a tether. The length will be dependent upon climbing style and the type of trees as that'll determine base or canopy anchor.

What is your poison for ascending descending? Hitch climb, munter rappel? Ascender climb, figure 8 rappel? Or full on belay device such as Madrock safeguard or Petzl gri gri plus? Believe it or not each type has its benefits and can influence which rope would be best

Probably madrock or gri gri +

I am looking to use Srt to access lock on stands and hang lock on stands.

What kind of trees and how big are the tree limbs? Given that you'll be on the ground accessing stands, a base anchor will probably be the easiest since you don't have to worry about working your line around tree limbs.

It sure is pretty fitting all that high strength rope in that sweet sweet fleece satchel bag!!! I’m super jealous lol
I use that same EWO fleece dump pouch for my 35 ft of canyon IV, with a bunch of stuff on it, and it’s perfect. Quiet and simple. I use that same rope with a delta link to rappel down after going up with 3 sticks, as my 2TC upper tether (then rappel), and SRT With gri-gri and CT quick roll ascender, and very happy with it…..but I’m only in year 2 and don’t have anything to compare it. It will be a bit too stiff first few climbs, but breaks in perfect.

Back