• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stick and string

Justhanginground

Looking at thoughts on a good stick and string wanting to go traditional next season. I have my new Hoyt this year. I tried hunting with Ten Point cross bow but really don't like it. Was thinking Black Widow, any thoughts? Thought about selling Ten Point for recurve $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get an ilf rig and start with a light set of ilf limbs. Say less than 45#. I hunt with 40# limbs and that’s plenty to kill deer with a well tuned bow and heavy arrows. I would even start with a 35# set of limbs and trade them up after lots of form and technique practice.

I'd suggest attending a traditional bow shoot in your area before deciding what to get. Talk to numerous bowyers, shoot a bunch of bows and see what fits your fancy. A traditional bow is kind of like a pair of shoes, some look great but just don't fit you well. You need to try on several before you find a good fit. Oh yeah, don't over bow yourself. Better to light than to heavy. Where are you located?

I'd suggest attending a traditional bow shoot in your area before deciding what to get. Talk to numerous bowyers, shoot a bunch of bows and see what fits your fancy. A traditional bow is kind of like a pair of shoes, some look great but just don't fit you well. You need to try on several before you find a good fit. Where are you located?

Southern Indiana

Don't sell the crossbow. A well rounded saddle hunter is proficient with a broad assortment of weaponry. I like to switch frequently. Personally, I think a 40-45 lb. longbow is a great place to start.

Traditional archery can be addictive. I got bit about 20 years ago and I was told back then to start with low poundage and shoot it for a couple years then work up after I developed good form. I didn’t listen. I thought I could shoot the same weight as the compounds I was shooting. Long story short, not listening cost me a couple years of struggling until I finally did what I should have. Now after all this time I hunt with 40-45 pound bows. Not because I want to but I have too. A busted shoulder from a motorcycle accident that hasn’t heeled right is the cause. But I have found that 40-45 pounds shot accurately is far better that 60-70 shot inaccurately. Take the advice given above, it’s good advice. An ILF rig is a good way to get started. You can change the limbs when you are ready.

I am fairly new to this forum but have been a lurker/ reader for a couple years. I hunted out of saddles years ago before it was popular and went back to Treestands. I am now in the process of selling my Stands and going back to the saddle. There have been many improvements in the saddle game over the past few years.

Any way, if I can help you get on the right track with traditional archery through long distance I am glad to help.

Traditional archery can be addictive. I got bit about 20 years ago and I was told back then to start with low poundage and shoot it for a couple years then work up after I developed good form. I didn’t listen. I thought I could shoot the same weight as the compounds I was shooting. Long story short, not listening cost me a couple years of struggling until I finally did what I should have. Now after all this time I hunt with 40-45 pound bows. Not because I want to but I have too. A busted shoulder from a motorcycle accident that hasn’t heeled right is the cause. But I have found that 40-45 pounds shot accurately is far better that 60-70 shot inaccurately. Take the advice given above, it’s good advice. An ILF rig is a good way to get started. You can change the limbs when you are ready.

I am fairly new to this forum but have been a lurker/ reader for a couple years. I hunted out of saddles years ago before it was popular and went back to Treestands. I am now in the process of selling my Stands and going back to the saddle. There have been many improvements in the saddle game over the past few years.

Any way, if I can help you get on the right track with traditional archery through long distance I am glad to help.

Thanks will do that.

I agree with a lot of what has been posted above. I live about 5 miles from Kustom King's shop and they are good people. Do yourself a favor and attend this event ....https://gnqco.com/p/expo
Many of the traditional shoots are for shooters.....this event is for buyers! :) A lot more merchandise to see. Also, the Eastern Traditional Archery Rendezvous at Denton Hill, PA is the holy grail for traditional buyers!

By the way, Heydeerman nailed it.......I'm an addict as well. I suffer from SBAS, stick bow acquisition syndrome. Unfortunately, there is no known cure once infected!:D

I agree with a lot of what has been posted above. I live about 5 miles from Kustom King's shop and they are good people. Do yourself a favor and attend this event ....https://gnqco.com/p/expo
Many of the traditional shoots are for shooters.....this event is for buyers! :) A lot more merchandise to see. Also, the Eastern Traditional Archery Rendezvous at Denton Hill, PA is the holy grail for traditional buyers!

The Eastern Traditional is a really cool and unique shoot. I've been there as a vendor before. If you haven't been to the Compton Shoot, you're missing another good one.....

I agree with all above statements. Do not start off with a high dollar bow. Bows are like motorcycles. They all look nice but one of them is going to feel better than the next. It does not make it better, it just makes it better for you. If you can, go to an archery shoot or find a bow maker (bowyer ) in your area. Then you can try multiple bows for minimal cost. I have bought and traded a dozen or 2 dozen bows to learn that I like long bows better than recurve and I like medium to smaller longbow risers/grips vs bulkier thicker risers. I have learned that I like 15 to 17 inch risers over longer risers. And that I like wood bows over others. Start simple to get an understanding with a sage bow or Lancaster has one that you can buy longbow and / or recurve limbs for around $200. Then once you know what fits you, go get a fancy bow like the Tolke Whip, Bob Sarrels, Wagstaff, Stalker or other bows like that. They make as expensive as you want but they are beautiful works of art.

Also, have someone help you tune your 1st bow and match it with the proper arrow. This would have saved me 6 months of headache when I started. Traditional archery is addicting and you will never be more angry or happy than with a Trad bow!

I agree with all above statements. Do not start off with a high dollar bow. Bows are like motorcycles. They all look nice but one of them is going to feel better than the next. It does not make it better, it just makes it better for you. If you can, go to an archery shoot or find a bow maker (bowyer ) in your area. Then you can try multiple bows for minimal cost. I have bought and traded a dozen or 2 dozen bows to learn that I like long bows better than recurve and I like medium to smaller longbow risers/grips vs bulkier thicker risers. I have learned that I like 15 to 17 inch risers over longer risers. And that I like wood bows over others. Start simple to get an understanding with a sage bow or Lancaster has one that you can buy longbow and / or recurve limbs for around $200. Then once you know what fits you, go get a fancy bow like the Tolke Whip, Bob Sarrels, Wagstaff, Stalker or other bows like that. They make as expensive as you want but they are beautiful works of art.

Also, have someone help you tune your 1st bow and match it with the proper arrow. This would have saved me 6 months of headache when I started. Traditional archery is addicting and you will never be more angry or happy than with a Trad bow!

I highly recommend trying to make it to a traditional shoot to try bows out. There is no charge for trying out bows and there are hundreds of used bows to try out as well. As said above, custom bows are expensive but used bows shoot as well as they did when new. There are a lot of guys that can't resist buying the next shinny thing that catches their eye and will sell last years sweetheart to finance the new one.
Cloverdale, IN isn't that far from you. Berrien Springs, MI and the Compton Shoot is probably about 4 or 5 hours from you but it's held at a great facility 4 3D courses and a practice/tryout area, highly recommended.

I been shooting longbow and recurve for about 7 yrs now and have taken some does and a buck over the last 3 seasons....missed quite a few before I finally started connecting with them,I shoot a ton of arrows from spring till fall and shoot a traditional league in the winter, definetly start with 40 lbs and work on form and don't be afraid to use that weight hunting I've taken 3 deer with my 40lbs limbs on my tradtech titan I also have a custom striker stinger sport at 48@28 and my favorite longbow is my jim Reynolds thunderstick mag its 44 lbs at my draw....good sharp broadhead they zip thru them like butter....if your on Facebook look up some traditional archery classifieds,recurve swap shop and barebow classifeds....all kinds of great used bows for great prices.

Back