• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Still debating if this is for me

Bowtech12

Sep 10, 2017
Western New York
I’ve hunted about 8 times with my saddle and another 4-6 times with dry runs

Still debating if saddle hunting is for me
I’ve hunted out of climbers and hanging for 20 years and still seem to me wanting to go back

I can see the advantages of saddle hunting but not in all situations

Reactions: Nutterbuster

Rico

Nov 28, 2017
Thibodaux, LA
First season in the saddle for me. Saddles are very useful, but I'm still running preset hang-ons too. The Millennium stands are most comfortable for me.

Reactions: d_rek

Deltahuntr

Sep 3, 2018
Prairieville, Louisiana
There is no reason you can’t still use the preset hang ons and climbing stands. The saddle is great especially for its mobility but that doesn’t mean the other stands are inferior. I personally have ladders, hang ons, climbers, box stands and a saddle. They will all see use this season.

Wolverinebuckman

Mar 22, 2018
Southern Kentucky
I can't see ever going back. This is my first season, and I'm using a DIY fleece w/ RC, and it is sooooo comfy! And I love having everything I need from my primal steps, to all my tree equipment nice and neat in a backpack. The miles I have logged with my full setup on my back, through the thickest crap imaginable, would certainly have been a no go last year with my climber.
But to each his own, the key is to use what you are most comfortable with.

Tjraley2

Vendor Rep
Feb 21, 2018
Stoughton, WI
No lie, if (when?) I own a small property, I will hunt out of Millennium lock-ons and box blinds so long as the deer don't act too spooky or begin to avoid them. Theres nothing like walking in just carryon your weapon and a pack.

But for public land, run and gun, bounce around, get in tight to bedding and set up super quiet, super highly pressured deer, a saddle cannot be beat in my mind. I think it all just depends on the one's context. I will never be able to afford enough land not to have to worry about over hunting it. So public land will always make up part of my hunting.

Bowtech12

Sep 10, 2017
Western New York
Kestrel is what I have

It’s comfortable but I have a lot more “stuff” that I’m not used to in order to set up
Plus I have to reposition myself quit a bit to say comfortable

Mauk9800

Sep 2, 2018
I guess it depends on the where you hunt. Private land I can see using lock on or ladders. But in big woods public land like I hunt a first time saddle hunter like me. It's a game changer for me. I think also even if you have pre-set stands if hot sign shows up use your saddle for a quick silent hunt. On big public land I never use a regular stand again.

Reactions: Tjraley2

rutjr

Oct 6, 2018
Cumberland, RI
Just a thought, for those unsure people try using the saddle with the treestand instead of the safety harness.

Bowtech12

Sep 10, 2017
Western New York
I’m going to use my hang on stand and climber

I’ll then compare what I’ve done thus far with the saddle

My setup would weigh 6 more pounds at the most because if I drop my saddle and xop platform my lone wolf assault is 11lbs

Tjraley2

Vendor Rep
Feb 21, 2018
Stoughton, WI
Don’t forget to add the weight of your safety harness when comparing saddle to stands. My minimal muddy harness is 3lb I think.

Bowtech12

Sep 10, 2017
Western New York
Yes
I’ll still use the saddle but for the locations that are a longer walk or if I’m still hunting and want to set up on some good sign

Bowtech12

Sep 10, 2017
Western New York
I will say I feel the safest ever in a saddle

Can’t beat it for sure

I do miss just sitting from time to time in my hunts
Especially the longer ones

My stomach muscles were pretty sore after a 4 hour saddle hunt so I was never fully relaxed into a non-engaging position

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
I will say I feel the safest ever in a saddle

Can’t beat it for sure

I do miss just sitting from time to time in my hunts
Especially the longer ones

My stomach muscles were pretty sore after a 4 hour saddle hunt so I was never fully relaxed into a non-engaging position

In a longer hunt the hybrid is great. Quieter than a climber too
Easier to carry than a climber
Carries sticks well. And no need for a platform or pack
Oh and you will be fully relaxed and not moving around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro