• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stinking wool

DaveH

I own a Cabelas wool sweater with windshear lining and wore it only briefly a couple of times. Today, I decided to wash it using non-scented detergent and then baking soda in the rinse cycle. It smells ten times worse now. Does anyone have a surefire remedy for this?

Thanks for the suggestion, bigjoe. I went to their website and didn't find anything that addresses the odor issues sometimes common to wet wool?

Just an update. Surprisingly enough, the smell being emitted from the wet wool has disappeared once the sweater dried. Note to self: don't get the sweater wet!

Wet wool smells.. it generally dissapates over time. Don't dry it too fast(i.e. close to the woodstove) when soaking wet, it doesn't take much to shrink it pretty good....

I hate to say it, but I have all my wool dry cleaned once a year......

It all smells like an aluminum dipped wet dog to me, i still wear it but not when its going to get wet

I wash all my wool items with shampoo since it is truly just hair. You can even use DDW or other unscented shampoos that will work fine. Air dry and good asnew with no smell. I've never done it, but I guess conditioner would hurt it either?!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I own a Cabelas wool sweater with windshear lining and wore it only briefly a couple of times. Today, I decided to wash it using non-scented detergent and then baking soda in the rinse cycle. It smells ten times worse now. Does anyone have a surefire remedy for this?[/QUOTE
That's a go to sweater for me. Never got it wet yet.

The sweater does work nice while on stand but I can't wear it while on the move. It's just too warm and doesn't breathe so it's easy to work up a sweat.

I wash all my wool items with shampoo since it is truly just hair. You can even use DDW or other unscented shampoos that will work fine. Air dry and good asnew with no smell. I've never done it, but I guess conditioner would hurt it either?!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I wouldn't do conditioner. I remember and old stickbow thread about treating wool with lanolin to get the water shedding properties back into the wool. it was done using white gas or coleman fuel I believe. never done it myself.

also found this:
https://twigandhorn.com/blogs/news/65351875-why-lanolize-your-wool-garments

Most of my wool shirts stunk right out of the wash the first few times, but dissipated after.

I have a merino wool hat that I wore in a downpour once. It was completely saturated. I had my bow in hand for a long time expecting a rutting buck to pop out at any moment. I could smell him he was so close!

After about a half hour of of intense readiness i descovered that damn hat was the culprit. It is scent free when dry.

Maybe add a little Doe-in-Heat to these wool garments - dual purpose cover scent and attractant! :cool:

Back