• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Strange occurances in the woods

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
During all this quarantine business I've been rewatching some shows and came back around to one of my favorite survival type shows, Survivorman. Eventually i got to the 6th season, the Bigfoot season.

Have any of you had any strange events or sightings in the woods worth sharing? It doesnt have to be sasquatch related. Share the story of the weirdest thing that has happened to you.

I was deer hunting by rifle several years ago, and got to my stand very early, as we hunt public land and my spot is in the very back of the woods, in a funnel between 2 sloughs. As people move around on opener morning, they aren't likely to push all the way back to me, but often push the deer towards me

It was probably about an hour yet before beginning of shooting, so i was just sitting there in the pitch black , one headphone in listening to some music. All of a sudden less than 40 yards over my right shoulder a lynx starts screaming at me, and anyone who has heard their scream, it is terror inducing. I had to light a smoke right away, both for my nerves and to let the lynx know right where i was.

That was horrifying, but very interesting thing to happen to me while in the woods

I've never heard or seen anything I couldn't ultimately figure out. But many small creatures in the swamp make gut-churning sounds. Nighthawks and night herons are the king of making horror-movie sound effects on the foggy backwaters. Alligators bellowing sounds like Jurassic park.

And foxes and Bobcats sound exactly like the screams of the damned. Lol

I had a gator hissing at me while it was underground. 4-5 footer was in a flooded gopher tortoise borrow.....the ground was reverberating under my feet. Took me a sec to figure out what it was and I was a little shook up. I poked around with a stick till it popped its head out of the hole then I let it be and moved on.

Walking in once in the dark I bumped a bear 10-15yds away....scared me pretty good.

Not during hunting season while on a nature hike i came around a sharp turn and was face to face with a pack of hogs. They were instantly agitated and bowed up on me....i climbed up a cedar and they had me treed for 20 minutes before they moved off into the marsh

No skunk apes to report

I was walking in at 4 am with my buddy, I turned to the trail on the left , he was heading to the lakebed. I got 30 steps down my trail and several coyotes started howling.. maybe within 40 feet of me. This property doesn’t allow guns during archery season. My buddy started text me, you ok? You ok? I heard them run off, cleaned my shorts..then hiked the last mile.

I hunt in a suburban deer management program and about 10 years ago myself and another hunter were hunting the same buck . The other hunter worked as a bus driver and had some weird work hours. Each of us had an assigned hunting area but we were sharing each area with one another. So one morning I was walking in about 10:30 and he was walking out and as we met he thanked me for gutting a doe he shot the evening before and hanging it in a tree . He said it was to late to go retrieve it in the dark. I said I never gutted or hung a deer in a tree. It was kind of spooky because there were stories about devil worshippers down off of Irwin Rd. That road is just an old walking trail block off to vehicle traffic. It is better know as Blue Mist Rd and it's suppose to be one of the most haunted roads in Pittsburgh . Google it and check it out and by the way my hunting spot in the deer management program is still right above Blue Mist Rd. Still never found out who or what gutted and hung that deer.

I had a gator hissing at me while it was underground. 4-5 footer was in a flooded gopher tortoise borrow.....the ground was reverberating under my feet. Took me a sec to figure out what it was and I was a little shook up. I poked around with a stick till it popped its head out of the hole then I let it be and moved on.

Walking in once in the dark I bumped a bear 10-15yds away....scared me pretty good.

Not during hunting season while on a nature hike i came around a sharp turn and was face to face with a pack of hogs. They were instantly agitated and bowed up on me....i climbed up a cedar and they had me treed for 20 minutes before they moved off into the marsh

No skunk apes to report
Hogs are one thing I have yet to get used too... Pulled a SC coastal bear permit in 2017 and decided to do some pre season scouting... now growing up in MI hogs were never something I had to worry about but I had heard there were hogs in the WMA I would be scouting/hunting so I brought my 45ACP. About the time I get off the high ground and into the low country swamp, I soon noticed hog sign everywhere and thought I need to keep my eyes and ears open and find an escape plan... unfortunately all that was around were palmetto leaves and cypress trees took 2 more steps and all the sudden I hear some squealing and running towards me... with no where to go I ducked behind a cypress tree and drew my pistol... not that it'd do much... they popped out from the palmetto leaves 10 yards from me and took a hard turn to the right. After collecting myself and cleaning my britches I headed back for the high ground and stayed away from that area during bear season.

Aside from being chased by coyotes during bow season and the occasional bobcat/fox screams on the walk in that always sound like a young girl screaming, I have yet to see Wolfman, El chupicabra, big foot, skunk ape. My question is do you get a picture or do you try to kill it and get a full body mount because why not lol?!

My question is do you get a picture or do you try to kill it and get a full body mount because why not lol?!
I'd say if I had a rifle and a camera in my hand, I'd shoot the rifle, and make an attempt to recover a body of a Bigfoot, end the discussion once and for all of if they exist.

No spooky stories, but I’ll submit that few things in this world can cause as much sheer panic in the woods as busting a covey of quail up close after dark. Any man who can experience that without screaming like a little girl (at least on the inside) has my full respect.
I had a turkey blow up outta high grass 5ft away from me...no screaming but some sweet evasive ninja rolls (fell over)

Quail busting up from underfoot, check! Coyotes howling underneath my stand at dark, check (I went UP the tree with no sticks). Worst? Taking down a preset close to the interstate, with the 17 year cicadas buzzing, turned around to go get the bolt cutters. Something doesn't sound right...gap in the cars passing and cicadas calling, the sound is still there. 5feet away, two massive canebrakes are entertained with tails going. Makes my hair stand as I write it!! BTW, that was the quickest, smoothest draw stroke I've ever had!! There were fountains of dirt flying everywhere!! Almost shot 3 sticks on the way back to the truck!

I was getting ready to climb up a tree last fall on some public ground when I heard rustling in the leaves. I was expecting to see a deer or squirrel but instead saw an old grey bearded, grey haired man carrying what looked like a beer in old 80s style camo coveralls about 40-50 yds away. He had no bow/gun, no backpack just a beer. I kind of shrugged it off for a second and continued about my business heading up the tree (it was a good spot I've seen deer at before). I felt the feeling of someone watching me and I looked in his direction and he had stopped and was just staring in my direction. I waved, he waved but just kept staring. I went about my business hunting the rest of the day and he had moved on I texted the wife about the situation, never saw any deer, etc. The most odd thing about the situation is the fact I was several miles back in the woods and it isn't exactly easy for me getting back there (not to mention a frail looking old man) there was no other vehicle in the parking lot when I arrived and he wasn't carrying a gun, bow, water, backpack, etc.

Go to YouTube and search for user howtohunt.com and listen to some of his videos. He is a hunter and guide. He speaks a lot about Bigfoot. I got sucked into it. Not sensational, but he has some interesting stories.

I listen to it now, but will not listen during hunting season. Too skeered!

The worst I ever been shook while in the outdoors was paddling a canoe in the main channel of the st.johns river in the dark being followed by a pod of dolphin.....the channel here regularly has huge international shipping cargo ships and other giant vessels. I didn't have any lights beside a headlamp. I think the combination of deep water, extreme currents, possibly of being swamped by huge vessel wake, and the dolphins breaching right next to me in the dark freaked me out a bit. They are really loud breaking the surface exhale and inhale and in the dark right next to u unexpected. Everything worked ot fine but was nerve racking

I was getting ready to climb up a tree last fall on some public ground when I heard rustling in the leaves. I was expecting to see a deer or squirrel but instead saw an old grey bearded, grey haired man carrying what looked like a beer in old 80s style camo coveralls about 40-50 yds away. He had no bow/gun, no backpack just a beer. I kind of shrugged it off for a second and continued about my business heading up the tree (it was a good spot I've seen deer at before). I felt the feeling of someone watching me and I looked in his direction and he had stopped and was just staring in my direction. I waved, he waved but just kept staring. I went about my business hunting the rest of the day and he had moved on I texted the wife about the situation, never saw any deer, etc. The most odd thing about the situation is the fact I was several miles back in the woods and it isn't exactly easy for me getting back there (not to mention a frail looking old man) there was no other vehicle in the parking lot when I arrived and he wasn't carrying a gun, bow, water, backpack, etc.
That reminds me, I was taking down a tree stand this spring on a small suburban farm I hunt, and I heard talking nearby. After a few minutes, I realized it was a crazy homeless guy who’d set up his camp about 30 yards from my stand after the season ended. I took down my stand as quickly and quietly as possible, left my screw-in steps in the tree, and high-tailed it outta there. Definitely gave me the heebie-jeebies...

The fox screams are about the creepiest thing I've ever experienced. Makes the hair on my neck stand up every time. Owls also creep me right out at the time, but once I figure out what it is, it's pretty cool to listen to.

Back