• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Struggling to find a good pack

Steve

I need a new pack to go with the mantis/predator set up, I'm looking for something that's not too big but also solid enough to carry climbing sticks if needed what would you recommend.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’m in the same boat. I’m looking at Badlands. There lifetime guarantee is what has me leaning that way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the mystery ranch pop up 28. Works really well for me. Sticks go in the load shelf, clothes and water in the pack, and platform strapped to outside. Really compact, well balanced, carries well and I can pack out a deer in one trip. A little on the pricey side but a good pack is so important for comfort. And it is crazy versatile, from scouting to fishing I have never used a pack for so many different things.

Screenshot_20180606-093541_Gallery.jpg

I have the mystery ranch pop up 28. Works really well for me. Sticks go in the load shelf, clothes and water in the pack, and platform strapped to outside. Really compact, well balanced, carries well and I can pack out a deer in one trip. A little on the pricey side but a good pack is so important for comfort. And it is crazy versatile, from scouting to fishing I have never used a pack for so many different things.

View attachment 4815
Mystery ranch makes some of the best designed and highest quality packs I have ever seen or used(mostly large multi day packs I have used) .
I have this game plan gear "full rut" which seems to work great--XOP is now making it. Sticks strap great where my winwalker currently is....windwalkerpack.jpg

Alps outdoors “Pathfinder” pack has been a great versatile pack for me over the last 3 years. I added the turkey vest pockets on the front giving me easy access to often used items. I recommend checking them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alps outdoors “Pathfinder” pack has been a great versatile pack for me over the last 3 years. I added the turkey vest pockets on the front giving me easy access to often used items. I recommend checking them out

I have this pack and plan to use with the predator stand and my helium sticks.

For those who haven't seen, it's a backpack shoulder strap system, but a large fanny-pack is all that's connected (low, like belt level on your back). The top of the fanny pack unzips and has another bag that can clip up on the shoulder straps and look like a full regular backpack. http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/packs/hunting-packs/pathfinder

I'm thinking I'll keep the top-pack folded down into the bottom part, and use paracord or something to tie buckles compatible with the shoulder harness onto the predator platform and/or a fleece wrap for attaching the helium sticks.

I have this pack and plan to use with the predator stand and my helium sticks.

For those who haven't seen, it's a backpack shoulder strap system, but a large fanny-pack is all that's connected (low, like belt level on your back). The top of the fanny pack unzips and has another bag that can clip up on the shoulder straps and look like a full regular backpack. http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/packs/hunting-packs/pathfinder

I'm thinking I'll keep the top-pack folded down into the bottom part, and use paracord or something to tie buckles compatible with the shoulder harness onto the predator platform and/or a fleece wrap for attaching the helium sticks.

I carry a water bladder in the upper part and string it through my shoulder straps for a quick sip on the go. If using full length helium’s, I’d recommend using the top part of the pack to strap the top of the sticks in. This will give you 2 anchor points (top and bottom) and keeps the sticks close to you when going into thick areas. Just remember to turn the stand-off part of the stick away from the pack, they’ll cut into the fabric over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was also looking for a pack to strap my sticks and platform too but not something that's huge.

I have a bunch of Badlands and love them. When I get the Predator I think it will fit awesome in one of them.

I still use the horn hunter mainbeam as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just got the horn hunter main beam a couple of days ago. This video does a really good job of breaking it down.

I still use the horn hunter mainbeam as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just got mine as well. It will more than suffice for my needs. Hopefully it will stand up to the abuse i put them through!!

I bought a Direct Action Ghost. I have to buy straps for the full Molle system. I will be able to carry everything with it. I will get a game bag for it. So I can pack a deer out. Sticks or spikes on both sides. WE Stepps and saddle in the main pack. Predator in between the main Pack and the smaller attached pack The bow can then be attached to the smaller Pack and the main Pack. It has the ability to pack 2 water bladders. Plus all you essentials for the day. I bought this without having seen this (other thanor trying this on. For a mile or two hike - As a tall guy and big guy this fits me. I wish the chest strap sat a little lower.

They still have 2017’s in stock for $99.00 plus shipping. I think I paid ~$114.00 Total.

https://us.directactiongear.com/ghost-backpack#04

I ordered one of these vanguard packs, it has the flaps on the back and did really well with my muddy sticks, need to experiment more, I got the 975 but wish i would have went with the 1000, the larger packs have a feature that lift it off your butt.Screenshot_20180607-075818.jpg

Anything with a frame. I had a badlands sacrifice as my main pack. It's now never used since I picked up a exo mtn 3500

I'm now leaning towards the main beampack, providing that it's not too big., I feel the bigger the pack the more I carry in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Anyone have experience with a Tenzing TC 1260?View attachment 4827
I dont, but have always had issues with stretchy mesh pockets like that on the outside catching burrs, thorns, seeds, everything when going through the woods...In fact if you look at the picture I posted of my pack...even the small side pocket of mine has a burr in it, ha!

Back