• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Suunto micro compass

They have some bad reviews on Amazon. Are they inconsistent? I have a small Cammenga that I don't love...I have a small Tru Nord that is very nice.

I can't set a bearing with my Camenga or TruNord so I am interested in something where I can (and is compact).

I hunt familiar land, but I am often hiking in the dark through woods and especially early season, I can't see any landmarks or lights.

This should please you.
Not the cheapo ball and pin compass that will navigate you to your rifle barrel.

I put one on my bow quiver a couple years ago so I would never forget it.

The pace count is critical for sure. I really only use mine to verify an escape azimuth to the road I parked on. Makes me more confident when I get lucky and have to find a deer, then find my vehicle from a different start point than my stand location.

I dont own a GPS.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

In my early coon hunting days the older guys showed us the stars to navigate from. It works very good as long as the sky is clear. One night out, it started out clear and having forgetting my compass in the truck. It turned into a LONG walk back , especially leading out two not so ready to quit hunting hounds....

I love mine. I have it on my binocular strap so I always have it with me.
I mostly use it for compaing actual wind direction to the predicted wind direction. It's been helpful in learning how localized, SURFACE wind patterns behave relative to the aloft winds. Having a compass with me, while monitoring actual winds aloft on windy.com has been a huge help in predicting what the actual surface wind will be doing.

Back