• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

TaRget shooting

essdub

I've been cleaRing a LOT areas in the woods. So I thought that I should clear some areas by the yard and the small stand of woods in the backyard to shoot targets at greater distances and with trees and stuff in the way. My neighbor and I cleared ten or so lanes at a few targets at distances up to 90 yards. With compound bow I can hit those long ones without too much trouble, but the arc of an arrow from a recurve makes it tricky because of limbs up high.
Here's a 71 yard shot I made at the target with new Thunderbird recurve .I had to cut quite a few branches to be able to shoot high enough to get there
1604a85b81bb3fbcb831d4f2c98d5fe0.jpg

Shaun

Thats awesome man! I just started shooting a recurve last April and I'm decent to 25 but only 20 on live game. I have an aero hunter coming soon so I'm sure shooting from it will be quite different.

I actually shoot just as well from the tree, but that's because I practice from the tree about as much as from the ground, until recently. And I'd never shoot at an animal from this distance, not with a trad bow anyway and very doubtful with compound. But i like to pracTice at all distances i can. I've got a small five target 3d course set up in the back yard woods area. My neighbor and I have been working hard on it for a month or more. I wanted a good area to practice that I don't try to hunt, so the couple of acres of hard woods between my place and his house worked out great, just a lot of trimming and a lot of trees to cut down. I'd been meaNing to clear out some of those areas anyway for planting, so it works out.
I'm sure you'll love the aero ,too.I did At least until I decided I could go smaller and lighter and still be safe and relatively comfy
Shaun

Awesome! I like to practice at long distance also. at 71 yds a deer could be in the next county before the arrow hits. Lol

the one and only "ImThere"

I hunt with a guy that practices a lot from long distances. He often reminds me how good he is with his bow so i waited until he was high upon his horse and proclaiming to the world that he is the greatest archery shot then I gently led him into a bet that I was certain he couldn't win. I knew he would take the bet because he would have to surrender his "Man Armor" if he didn't. The bet was simple, harvest a deer at 75 yds or more. That poor joker spent the last 3/4 of the season hunting a powerline waiting for his chance. He took a half dozen shots at deer and failed to make contact. Didn't take his money because it was never about that. However, I feel certain that he will ride into camp next year on a shorter horse while whistling a much less irritating tune :lol: :cool:

Re: RE: Re: TaRget shooting

huck72412 said:
I hunt with a guy that practices a lot from long distances. He often reminds me how good he is with his bow so i waited until he was high upon his horse and proclaiming to the world that he is the greatest archery shot then I gently led him into a bet that I was certain he couldn't win. I knew he would take the bet because he would have to surrender his "Man Armor" if he didn't. The bet was simple, harvest a deer at 75 yds or more. That poor joker spent the last 3/4 of the season hunting a powerline waiting for his chance. He took a half dozen shots at deer and failed to make contact. Didn't take his money because it was never about that. However, I feel certain that he will ride into camp next year on a shorter horse while whistling a much less irritating tune :cool:
That's awesome. Yeah, I'd have to have one heck of a good reason to try to shoot an animal past about thirty yards. Maybe I'd go forty if conditions were right.
But I do like to practice from all Kinda distances and positions. For me, target shooting is all about having fun. And it's fun to try to hit targets from unusual angles, distances, and positions.
I certainly make no claims about being a great hunter. I did manage to take several deer last year, only one the year before. In fact, most of you guys are probably much more successful as hunters than I am. I just love doing it. And I love being in the woods and having a good time no matter what season it is or which activity I'm participating in.
I just thought I'd share this with you guys since it was a milestone for me. I am not trying to brag. If I'm coming across that way, let me assure you that I do not think I'm all that good with a bow . I'm practiCing like crazy because I enjoy it and I believe I need all that practice I can get

Shaun

Back