• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Target stand ideas

mathhunter

Now that deer season is over for me, I need some projects to keep me occupied. One thing I've been wanting to do is build a stand and shelter to hopefully help extend the life of my targets. I'd love to see pictures of target stands you guys have to get some ideas on how I'd like to build mine.

Guess I never took pictures of mine but this is essentially what I did. 2x6 uprights and 2x4 bracing with a scrap of 3/8" ply for horizontal stability. Roofing material is Tyvek wrap from the lumber yard trash can at Menards, the stuff that pallets of lumber get wrapped in. Left it long enough to drape over the ends of the roof. Attached with staples. Knocked it together in a few hours one evening while working on other outside chores.

I always wanted to build one based off the idea of one of those dart boards that have the doors that swing open to each side. Totally protected from rain and gives some back stop protection for flyers to the sides. Just no ambition to build it lol.
This type draws hornets, wasps & mice. Always a surprise when you open the doors!

It's really easy to overthink this project. I know I did. I also know that the inevitable trips to Pinterest and Instagram for ideas will plant the idea that you need to make your target stand out of mahogany imported from Madagascar, and put it together with reverse-reticulated dovetail box joints you cut by hand with an adamantium backsaw while making smiling, unblinking eye contact with the camera. Next thing you know you've got a $250 shopping cart selected at Rockler for your scrap-lumber-and-pallets archery target stand, when you know dang well you can get by with a box of 3" deck screws and some twisty, snakey, box-store-reject dimensional lumber.

Yes, it's nice to have nice things. It's also nice to have your bag target out of the weather and spend your time and money shooting it, and using up some of the scrap lumber you've got in the garage rafters. Just do it. Don't draw it out or make designs in AutoCAD, just slap a couple-tree pallets together and shoot whatever you come up with.

Am I the only one that buys a few hay bales every couple years to backstop a block on the ground? The hay eventually rots but it's essentially compost and the foam blocks stop everything.

I have been thinking about putting up a roof of some kind but I feel like that will limit my practice opportunities from a saddle, which I'm hoping to do more this coming off-season.

Am I the only one that buys a few hay bales every couple years to backstop a block on the ground? The hay eventually rots but it's essentially compost and the foam blocks stop everything.

I have been thinking about putting up a roof of some kind but I feel like that will limit my practice opportunities from a saddle, which I'm hoping to do more this coming off-season.
I've had a tough time finding straw bales; I want them for my garden. When I practice out of a tree, I have a few block targets at various distances and directions around the trunk. I'm fortunate enough to live far enough in the sticks there's no chance of sending an arrow to the neighbor's house. Although I'll probably wind up drilling a few trees near my archery range for bolts to practice out of.

Not really a stand idea… but I put a 4x6 horse stall mat behind my target to help with the occasional errant shot. It works great. Mounted it to a 2x4 frame. Does a good job with my fatter arrows and 55lb bow. It does not do a great job with my buddies 60 lb Hoyt and skinny elk arrows. Picked it up from Tractor Supply.

I did this with a 4x6 horse stall mat to act as a roof and backstop. Needs to be staked down or have longer bottom legs to keep it from blowing over in heavy winds, it's top heavy.

Attachments

• 20230103_184844.jpg
    20230103_184844.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 89

When I purchased my wife’s and I 1st bows I also bought 7 bales of hay as back stops. Well it’s been a couple years and yeah they’re almost gone. I’ve looked up making my own and different styles. From foam boards to plastic wrap from pallets. I guess my name says it all. I’m too Lazy to build another back stop. If I sling an arrow off it’ll land in the neighbors yard or sink into a tree behind my target. Lucky I’ve only lost 1 and nailed the tree once.

Guess I never took pictures of mine but this is essentially what I did. 2x6 uprights and 2x4 bracing with a scrap of 3/8" ply for horizontal stability. Roofing material is Tyvek wrap from the lumber yard trash can at Menards, the stuff that pallets of lumber get wrapped in. Left it long enough to drape over the ends of the roof. Attached with staples. Knocked it together in a few hours one evening while working on other outside chores.
Finally thought to take some pictures. I'll probably hang a horse stall mat off the back of the roof next year. Not pictured is yardage stakes every 10 yards.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230204_200927_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204_200927_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20230204_200939_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204_200939_Gallery.jpg
    698.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20230204_200951_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204_200951_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
My sister built this for my brother in law. I’m gonna make something similar for myself, in a size that allows for two bales of hay to sit behind the target.

View attachment 81229
I think putting it on skids or a pallet, or otherwise making the stand (somewhat) mobile is the way to go. Easier to mow or trim brush or whatever if you can drag it out of the way.

You lucky people with your ability to practice at home... Here I am 3 years in to designing a "tree" that I can fold up and carry back and forth from my local range to my truck to get some elevated practice. Ladder doesn't let you lean enough, or I need a bigger (more expensive) one.

I finally got around to building my target stand this summer. I took the advice of some of the people replying here and made it mostly out of things I had or could get for free. I picked up the pallets for free, the four corner posts I made by cutting in half two doors I had taken off of an old shed, and the metal roofing I already had lying around. The only things I bought were five 5' long 2x4s that I bought cheap on Facebook (they came from disassembled pallets) and the rubberized screw-in hook that added to hang my bow from. I also placed a few patio blocks I had to put under the base of the stand to help keep it off the ground and hopefully keep things from rotting (since I went cheap and didn't use treated lumber).

It took me an afternoon to assemble and cost me less than $15 to make. I'm super happy with it so far. The only thing I'm thinking of adding at this point is a couple of hay bales behind the target to help stop arrows in case I miss.

Also, you'll note that the target I'm using for now is a DIY target I made from carpet padding we were going to throw out after removing some old carpet. I cut a bunch of it into pieces, stacked them and compressed them between boards with threaded rods. I made target dots by spray painting dots on a piece of cardboard that I attach to the target with a few roofing nails. The target has done great at stopping my arrows, and it's significantly bigger than the commercial foam targets I was using previously. ArcheryTargetShelter-compress.jpg

I finally got around to building my target stand this summer. I took the advice of some of the people replying here and made it mostly out of things I had or could get for free. I picked up the pallets for free, the four corner posts I made by cutting in half two doors I had taken off of an old shed, and the metal roofing I already had lying around. The only things I bought were five 5' long 2x4s that I bought cheap on Facebook (they came from disassembled pallets) and the rubberized screw-in hook that added to hang my bow from. I also placed a few patio blocks I had to put under the base of the stand to help keep it off the ground and hopefully keep things from rotting (since I went cheap and didn't use treated lumber).

It took me an afternoon to assemble and cost me less than $15 to make. I'm super happy with it so far. The only thing I'm thinking of adding at this point is a couple of hay bales behind the target to help stop arrows in case I miss.

Also, you'll note that the target I'm using for now is a DIY target I made from carpet padding we were going to throw out after removing some old carpet. I cut a bunch of it into pieces, stacked them and compressed them between boards with threaded rods. I made target dots by spray painting dots on a piece of cardboard that I attach to the target with a few roofing nails. The target has done great at stopping my arrows, and it's significantly bigger than the commercial foam targets I was using previously. View attachment 87416
A battery powered light to shine down on the target and you wouldn't be restricted to day time shooting. Great job on the stand.

IMG_4752.jpeg
Yep that’s a fancy pallet stand. You know, from the Homedepot lot. Not that Walmart junk pallet stuff.

Back