• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

tether question

cheecho67

SH Member
do you need a delta locking link for your tether? or is it just as safe using a twist lock? I have a fusion auto locking carabiner just curious if I could use on a tether like the delta link.

I use a figure 8 on a bite for my tether and just feed the whole thing through it. It is recommended you use a delta by many, but I use a smaller sized rated carabiner on my rappel line. When I’m getting ready to rappel, it’s time to go and the little autolocking carabiner is quick and easy……it ain’t gonna break either. Not sure what you mean by a twist lock vs Delta.

It’s a big carabiner bigger than the delta it’s a fusion auto lock. Locks when you close it and you have to twist the gate to open

It’s a big carabiner bigger than the delta it’s a fusion auto lock. Locks when you close it and you have to twist the gate to open
Lots of folks including myself have used or use carabiners in the scenario you are talking about. From a technical safety guide standpoint it is not advised to do so. Just my opinion but that I am aware of the 2 biggest risk in that use is gate position and true cross loading. The gate should be on the high side so as to not be in a position to load the gate and dont use a carabiner on a tree that is small enough for the carabiner to get into a true cross loaded position. You dont want the carabiner to get in a postion to be bent over a radius. It is one of those is it an acceptable risk for you questions. If you are going to use something in an "out of spec" way, make sure you are aware of the the risk and/or potential hazards and be willing to accept the outcome. Dont just take an internet strangers word for it that its ok.

Lots of folks including myself have used or use carabiners in the scenario you are talking about. From a technical safety guide standpoint it is not advised to do so. Just my opinion but that I am aware of the 2 biggest risk in that use is gate position and true cross loading. The gate should be on the high side so as to not be in a position to load the gate and dont use a carabiner on a tree that is small enough for the carabiner to get into a true cross loaded position. You dont want the carabiner to get in a postion to be bent over a radius. It is one of those is it an acceptable risk for you questions. If you are going to use something in an "out of spec" way, make sure you are aware of the the risk and/or potential hazards and be willing to accept the outcome. Dont just take an internet strangers word for it that it’s ok

Lots of folks including myself have used or use carabiners in the scenario you are talking about. From a technical safety guide standpoint it is not advised to do so. Just my opinion but that I am aware of the 2 biggest risk in that use is gate position and true cross loading. The gate should be on the high side so as to not be in a position to load the gate and dont use a carabiner on a tree that is small enough for the carabiner to get into a true cross loaded position. You dont want the carabiner to get in a postion to be bent over a radius. It is one of those is it an acceptable risk for you questions. If you are going to use something in an "out of spec" way, make sure you are aware of the the risk and/or potential hazards and be willing to accept the outcome. Dont just take an internet strangers word for it that its ok.
So what is the spec then? Having a sewn eye or a figure 8 on a bite through the loop?

So what is the spec then? Having a sewn eye or a figure 8 on a bite through the loop?
Carabiner's instructions or safety sheet warn against using them in a fashion that would allow them to be cross loaded. There arent really any "specs" for what we do. That's why it is important for folks to understand the risk and how the gear we use is intended to be used, at least in regards to other climbing uses that have guidelines or rules. For example, rock climbers would never use a carabiner in a way so that is was cross loaded on a rock or hard edge, or at least shouldnt. Some arborist though will use a carabine for the same use you are looking at using it because in nearly all cases they, as we, are climbing trees large enough that the carabiner would be basically on a flat surface, not bent over an edge.

Delta links and oval links work just fine and are recommended for such use. You can use a sewn eye or a figure 8 on a bite and that works fine. Many use a carabiner. If you are using your rappel rope, there are a few hitches that work well and are either retrievable or remote releasable. I am completely confident using a carabiner for your scenario but some are not.

Does it break free good using the dyna glide? Looks like it will
Yes it will.
The trick is to walk away from the tree when pulling, do not pull straight down.
This applies to any attachment method.

Back