• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd Cam Cleat

2cthetruth

Bit of a rant.

Does anyone know why on earth Tethrd wouldn’t offer a cam cleat on their One stick? So many people ask for it and I’ve asked them directly with no reply. Why can’t manufacturers listen to their customers?! Also, a One Stick titanium “BOB” type device is in order! The other stick/ cleat/ platform combo’s are heavy, but if Tethrd would make an ultralight titanium One for us one stickers…I’m sure they’d be hard pressed to keep it on the shelves. Can SOMEONE out there with manufacturing abilities make this product???

Thanks

My guess would be that they don’t want to take on the liability of offering cam cleats. As far as I know cam cleats are designed and meant for holding rope in marine applications. Not truly meant for climbing applications. I could be wrong about that now though.

My guess would be that they don’t want to take on the liability of offering cam cleats. As far as I know cam cleats are designed and meant for holding rope in marine applications. Not truly meant for climbing applications. I could be wrong about that now though.

Right, but you are not climbing with it. You don’t step on it… It is there to hold rope just as it holds rope connected to 2-3,000 pound boats! Other manufacturers do it (BOB stick etc.). They had to go through some process to get their stick cleared for climbing, why not a cam cleat too? They WORK and are EFFICIENT. On the other hand, they could put a sticker on it stating that the cam cleat is not weight bearing…just like the bottom button. That’s the release from liability.

Right, but you are not climbing with it. You don’t step on it… It is there to hold rope just as it holds rope connected to 2-3,000 pound boats! Other manufacturers do it (BOB stick etc.). They had to go through some process to get their stick cleared for climbing, why not a cam cleat too? They WORK and are EFFICIENT. On the other hand, they could put a sticker on it stating that the cam cleat is not weight bearing…just like the bottom button. That’s the release from liability.
Eh… yeah maybe. It is being used for holding your body weight though. And it’s a mechanical device that can fail. But I get what you’re saying.

Eh… yeah maybe. It is being used for holding your body weight though. And it’s a mechanical device that can fail. But I get what you’re saying.

Any part of the stick could fail at anytime. That’s the risk the buyer takes. Other manufacturers use it and it works…Muddy being the biggest. Tethred is just doing things how they want and not what their customers want. I know quite a few people that would buy the one stick if it had just that feature available to them. Oh well. Their loss I guess. Maybe someone out there can pick up the slack and make a compact titanium one stick with cam cleats.

Right, but why don’t they take customer feedback and incorporate suggestions that work into their product? That’s the point of this thread.
Some companies are willing to take more risk then others.
Some hunters are willing to take more risk then others. I would never climb using a cam cleat.

Um…You only need one stick for one sticking…

Bit of a rant.

Does anyone know why on earth Tethrd wouldn’t offer a cam cleat on their One stick?
So many people ask for it and I’ve asked them directly with no reply. Why can’t manufacturers listen to their customers?! Also, a One Stick titanium “BOB” type device is in order! The other stick/ cleat/ platform combo’s are heavy, but if Tethrd would make an ultralight titanium One for us one stickers…I’m sure they’d be hard pressed to keep it on the shelves. Can SOMEONE out there with manufacturing abilities make this product???

Thanks

Um, great response. :rolleyes:

But it doesn't take much to figure out they sell more in sets. They want you to buy 3 plus a separate order of one. It isn't a purpose built one stick and imo there are far better options for that.

The less amount of moving parts in my hunting equipment, the better for me. Especially in the climbing equipment.

Um, great response. :rolleyes:

But it doesn't take much to figure out they sell more in sets. They want you to buy 3 plus a separate order of one. It isn't a purpose built one stick and imo there are far better options for that.

Well…it’s true They wouldn’t sell them in singles if there wasn’t a demand..right? Many people I talk to would like to see a cam cleat on the one stick…at least as an option.

The less amount of moving parts in my hunting equipment, the better for me. Especially in the climbing equipment.

Ok, but that doesn’t mean they don’t work. They do and work well. Lots of folks use them…or they wouldn’t sell them.

I would guess their marketing or legal team didn’t think the cam cleat was a good move. Carl, to my knowledge, started this cam cleat craze so I’m sure they have good reason.

How many cam cleat failures have you heard about? Me none. Been using the muddy pros for years…heavy, but they WORK. Lots of people use them.
I am not trying to start a argument. If you want to use one go for it. There was a video on this forum where the cleat broke while the guy was climbing. There are guys on here that one stick and do not use cam cleats.
I will not climb on anything outside if it's rated use. Including Kong ducks, ropemans and so on.

Well…it’s true They wouldn’t sell them in singles if there wasn’t a demand..right? Many people I talk to would like to see a cam cleat on the one stick…at least as an option.

This is not a problem. Buy the adapter from OOAL, and you have a cam cleat on a Tethrd ONE stick for one sticking, no? Do you think Tethrd has a better solution to put forward?

I reiterate these were not purpose built for one sticking.

The primary feature of this stick is 1. lightweight. A cam cleat is heavier than their proprietary Dynalok tab. It also requires a more advanced connection, with a flat surface mating to a round tube and two bolts instead of a single rivet. Then, it needs precise snugging so as to not pinch and weaken the tube. That means more weight and more cost to produce correctly. They've had enough problems with them as is.

I'm sure Tethrd could put out a better stick for one sticking, that's where you should be leaning on them.

Back