• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd Ropes

Squirrels

What is the difference in their linemans rope and tether? Do they both have a spliced eye on each end? I want to pick up one that has spliced eye on each end to use as a tether so I can put the second spliced eye through my carabiner as a backup incase of a ropeman/swabish failure. I use a lonewolf strap as a linemans belt.
Thanks

They only have a splice in one end. I tied a figure 8 knot in other end for tether. They may have changed it to both ends being spliced

I have the Tethrd ropes as well, lineman and tethr. They both have spliced eyes on one end, lineman has a 2" eye and the tethr has a 5".
But question to the above posts: Why, if you have spliced eyes, would you need to tie a figure 8? You hook the carabiner into the prusik knots that come with the ropes. All you need is a stopper knot on the ends.
And for the linemans rope, use the splice to girth hitch to your linemans loop and then prusik or ropeman and carabiner to the other loop. No need for figure eights anywhere, thats why they put a splice on it.

But question to the above posts: Why, if you have spliced eyes, would you need to tie a figure 8? You hook the carabiner into the prusik knots that come with the ropes. All you need is a stopper knot on the ends.
And for the linemans rope, use the splice to girth hitch to your linemans loop and then prusik or ropeman and carabiner to the other loop. No need for figure eights anywhere, thats why they put a splice on it.
I'm guessing they are tying the figure eights as a backup on the end of the rope that is the tag end, hooking the ropeman/prusik biner in that loop in case the biner or ropeman were to fail. It's a redundancy thing. But I could be wrong, that just makes sense to me.

I'm guessing they are tying the figure eights as a backup on the end of the rope that is the tag end, hooking the ropeman/prusik biner in that loop in case the biner or ropeman were to fail. It's a redundancy thing. But I could be wrong, that just makes sense to me.
If you want to do what you mention above in original post, and what they may be describing in the posts above, just add another prusik knot. Or if using a ropeman, use the prusik that comes with the ropes. Thats the whole reason for the spliced eyes, so you reduce the bulk that the figure 8 knot makes.
I use ropeman on my Tethr and linemans belt. The tethr is backed up with the prusik that is provided with the ropes. I do not back up the linemans belt. If the ropeman fails and I get all the way to the end of that rope to the stopper or backed up knot, Im way to far from the tree anyways and Im going down.

I put a figure eight on tag end of tether and clip to biner as a redundancy for my Knute hitch. I also have started running my tethrd linemans rope through the biner and keeping it a little looser than the bridge. This provides a redundancy for the bridge and the bridge loops. It doesn't get in the way at all because it is completely in line with the bridge on both sides.

If you want to do what you mention above in original post, and what they may be describing in the posts above, just add another prusik knot. Or if using a ropeman, use the prusik that comes with the ropes. Thats the whole reason for the spliced eyes, so you reduce the bulk that the figure 8 knot makes.
that's why he's asking if there are spliced eyes on both ends.

LOL...you get it
I get it to. Maybe you're not understanding what Im trying to say. Have you considered that when tying a backup to the end of your tethr, depending on tethr length, you could have a significant drop before the tethr would catch? Adding to the forces put on the rope. With a prusik tied as a back up, you can adjust it after being tied in, to give yourself enough room to manuever, but still limit the amount of drop IF something was to fail.
Ive tried out both ways, what you are describing is an option, but its not the safest or best option in my opinion. Also, you will be spending an extra 25$ or so to have another splice put on.

I get it to. Maybe you're not understanding what Im trying to say. Have you considered that when tying a backup to the end of your tethr, depending on tethr length, you could have a significant drop before the tethr would catch? Adding to the forces put on the rope. With a prusik tied as a back up, you can adjust it after being tied in, to give yourself enough room to manuever, but still limit the amount of drop IF something was to fail.
Ive tried out both ways, what you are describing is an option, but its not the safest or best option in my opinion. Also, you will be spending an extra 25$ or so to have another splice put on.
I understand very clearly all your post in this thread. I do not disagree with anything you have said. Everything you have said is correct and are viable options. I would rather use a prusik/swabish for a backup than tie a figure 8.

Never though of running a backup to my ropeman 1. The only “backup” I have is I tie an Ashley stopper knot at the end.

Can you post pics? I am having trouble picturing what you guys are talking about.

tag end of the rope running south through your ropeman (the end you have and ashley stopper knot). Take that end and by some method (figure eight, prussik, or a spliced eye, or a sewn eye) and hook it into the biner your ropeman is hooked to. If your ropeman ever fails for some reason on your tether you won't go all the way to the ground. The methoud you chose will determine how far you might fall.

tag end of the rope running south through your ropeman (the end you have and ashley stopper knot). Take that end and by some method (figure eight, prussik, or a spliced eye, or a sewn eye) and hook it into the biner your ropeman is hooked to. If your ropeman ever fails for some reason on your tether you won't go all the way to the ground. The methoud you chose will determine how far you might fall.
Right, but by doing it this way your allowing yourself to a shock load fall of a couple feet if your ropeman fails. If you back it up with a prusik then you will only drop a couple inches at most. Then as a final precaution there should be a stopper knot of your choosing (I like the double fisherman) so that if for some reason both fail you are stopped at the end of the tether by that. If you going to put a redundency failsafe in why would you do it at the end of the tether and potentially expose yourself to a shock when you could just use a prusik and avoid the possibility. Shock fails of even 2 feet can be extremely violent and cause serious injuries. Your best to have a failsafe set up for the shortest possible fall (prusik just above ropeman) then longest possible fall (end of your tether).

Right, but by doing it this way your allowing yourself to a shock load fall of a couple feet if your ropeman fails. If you back it up with a prusik then you will only drop a couple inches at most. Then as a final precaution there should be a stopper knot of your choosing (I like the double fisherman) so that if for some reason both fail you are stopped at the end of the tether by that. If you going to put a redundency failsafe in why would you do it at the end of the tether and potentially expose yourself to a shock when you could just use a prusik and avoid the possibility. Shock fails of even 2 feet can be extremely violent and cause serious injuries. Your best to have a failsafe set up for the shortest possible fall (prusik just above ropeman) then longest possible fall (end of your tether).
This is what I said before. I run a Prusik actually below my ropeman and clip it with a carabiner to my lineman’s loop. Making sure to keep as little slack in it as possible. Gives me all the freedom I need to move and also backs up any possible failure of not only the ropeman but also bridge.

This is what I said before. I run a Prusik actually below my ropeman and clip it with a carabiner to my lineman’s loop. Making sure to keep as little slack in it as possible. Gives me all the freedom I need to move and also backs up any possible failure of not only the ropeman but also bridge.
That’s great however, buy putting your prusik below the ropeman you have to potential for the prusik to not work. If you ropeman does fail and is able to slide your tether rope while clipped into the carabiner then the ropeman will act as an auto adjusting device and prevent the prusik from gripping the tether by pushing it down the same way a micro pulley or an auto adjuster does on a linesman. Anytime you have a device the safety compression knot that you are using to “back up” that device should be above the device. Otherwise as I said before you have the potential of the device to push the prusik down the rope during the fall rendering the prusik useless.

That’s great however, buy putting your prusik below the ropeman you have to potential for the prusik to not work. If you ropeman does fail and is able to slide your tether rope while clipped into the carabiner then the ropeman will act as an auto adjusting device and prevent the prusik from gripping the tether by pushing it down the same way a micro pulley or an auto adjuster does on a linesman. Anytime you have a device the safety compression knot that you are using to “back up” that device should be above the device. Otherwise as I said before you have the potential of the device to push the prusik down the rope during the fall rendering the prusik useless.
Great advice, never knew that could happen. Used to run it above then thought, below and to the lineman loop was killing two birds one stone so to speak. Didn’t know that it could push the Prusik down without it engaging. I will switch back. Thanks for the knowledge.

Great advice, never knew that could happen. Used to run it above then thought, below and to the lineman loop was killing two birds one stone so to speak. Didn’t know that it could push the Prusik down without it engaging. I will switch back. Thanks for the knowledge.

Right on man. Glad I could help.

Another option, which One can use, is after adjustment of tether (while LB is still connected), is tie an alpine butterfly close to the prusik / ropeman location and clip that into the biner. So no shock loading. Then daisy chain the remainder of rope.

But what I really do is add the alpine butterfly and biner it to my backup RCH. That way, if the prusik, bridge or biner connecting to bridge fail, my RCH should catch me in a few inches with other biner alpine butterfly to RCH.

And if the rope goes, well, I guess I have a personal meeting with God that I cannot delay.

Never though of running a backup to my ropeman 1. The only “backup” I have is I tie an Ashley stopper knot at the end.

Can you post pics? I am having trouble picturing what you guys are talking about.

I'm not gonna lie, had to google the Ashley Stopper knot. This site is awesome, learn something every time I log on.

Back