• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Shame Thread

gcr0003

SH Member
This is like the antithesis of the No Shame Thread. So if you post something that’s a shame you gotta be ok with taking a little ribbing or constructive criticism. I think getting teased is a good way to make light of our shortcomings so that we can accept direction and improve going forward. Chirping back and forth and playful banter between friends is something I really enjoy. It’s almost like a sign of a good friendship or common ground. A lot of the stupid stuff I’ve done has sucked, but some make for good stories. It’s crazy how we remember the stuff we did wrong better than the stuff we did right. It’s almost like it’s burned into our memory, to help us not make the same mistake twice.

I wouldn’t make this a list of things you think other people have or do that you view as shameful, but rather do some self reflection. Some of these range from shameful to ‘a crying shame’, all the way to just plain o ‘what a shame’.

My first two deer seasons I missed 5 deer with the bow, all were very close and easy shots. The first deer I was cold and shaking so bad the young 6 point looked at me after the first shot, then licked my arrow as I missed a second shot. You can’t make this stuff up. Flat out shameful.

I’ve injured two deer with non lethal shots. One was on accident the other was from rushing the shot, I hate each equally. Shameful!

I shot or shot at a nice 8 pt with a rifle that rolled when I shot, but got back up and walked away and I didn’t put another in him. Never found the deer. Crying shame!

I killed my first deer ever and the next day hunting I shot a yearling. I climbed like 40 ft before daylight and the deer really looked bigger to me when it walked right under my tree. Nothing wrong with shooting a yearling but at the time I would have preferred not to.

I can shoot a compound out to 60 yards and then miss a deer at 10. Its downright disgraceful, if I had any sense I’d pick up berry picking or something more manageable. Haha. Crying shame!

I started wearing tevas (sandals) and they are the lamest granola looking footwear I have ever seen behind chacos but I like them in summer time. Just a shame!

That should be enough to get this started.

Hunting the way my dad taught me for way too long - sorry dad

Missing A LOT of deer between 12yr old and 16yr old. Gun and bow - looking back some were so close LOL. Saw brown and bang!!

Crocs - yep I said it

I missed a buck twice last year, on back to back days, and I didn't intentionally release either arrow. And then I missed a doe.

I haven't missed one in over 10 years, since my first season. Switched bows before last season and then had the strings changed the day before the opener (because the shop re-installed them wrong which caused rubbing and that's the day they got the new ones in - actually it's the second day they got them in, first time they came in wrong). My draw length was wrong and I messed with my release, which was causing all sorts of accidental releases. Also switched to broadheads which (unknowingly at the time) revealed several deficiencies in my form, which contributed to the draw length/release issues. So between all of that and an acutely twisted peep (presumably from a non-broken-in string experiencing severe temperature fluctuations) I had a very rough archery season. And this is the first time I've told this full story to anybody aside from my best friend/hunting partner.

P.S. Doing much better currently.

I missed my first two deer with a rifle one at 20 yards another at 125, even after knot holing at the range.

hit my first buck last year close to last light. Grazed it taking some hair and a little blood. Tracked it the whole next day to no avail which ended in me shooting a better 8 point

I missed the first deer i shot at 4 times. The doe was across a small creek and I shot 4 ti.es at her....she would look around and never really got to spooked. Then just slowly walked off. I was totally crushed. That was embarrassingly bad. But motivated me to shoot more and get better.

I missed the first deer i shot at 4 times. The doe was across a small creek and I shot 4 ti.es at her....she would look around and never really got to spooked. Then just slowly walked off. I was totally crushed. That was embarrassingly bad. But motivated me to shoot more and get better.
Is it cut your shirttail each missed shot or each missed deer? Either way I was down a whole shirt after my first two seasons.

I missed a buck twice last year, on back to back days, and I didn't intentionally release either arrow. And then I missed a doe.

I haven't missed one in over 10 years, since my first season. Switched bows before last season and then had the strings changed the day before the opener (because the shop re-installed them wrong which caused rubbing and that's the day they got the new ones in - actually it's the second day they got them in, first time they came in wrong). My draw length was wrong and I messed with my release, which was causing all sorts of accidental releases. Also switched to broadheads which (unknowingly at the time) revealed several deficiencies in my form, which contributed to the draw length/release issues. So between all of that and an acutely twisted peep (presumably from a non-broken-in string experiencing severe temperature fluctuations) I had a very rough archery season. And this is the first time I've told this full story to anybody aside from my best friend/hunting partner.

P.S. Doing much better currently.
Okay. I'll insert some fun poking..
Poor craftsman blames his tools. Poor hunter blames his bow right?

Not sure about the shirt thing but I was totally disgusted with myself. It looked so easy on TV.
I don’t know If it is a thing everywhere, but at my buddies hunting camp if you miss they cut your short tail. Or least they say your shirt should be cut,

This was long enough ago the statute of limitations let’s me tell the story. I live in a no bait state and my dad, a once dedicated hunter filling freezers of deer growing up, had not shot a deer in over 20 years (hunting all of those years but just taking his gun for a walk and hanging out with us kids) he lost his want to kill anything after my mom passed away and passed up a lot of deer over those years. Well he got himself a girlfriend that asked him to bring home some deer meat for her. I talked him into going out for archery after not even shooting his bow for the previous 10 of those years. We had a great time getting his bow set up and shooting with him over the summer to build his confidence. He kept saying he was worried he would wound one and not find it and kept telling the story about his father in laws last hunt where that happened and he was there for it. Said if he wounded one he was done hunting for good. He also doesn’t get around to well so we set him up in a blind only about 100 yards from his back door. I planted a little food plot (legal in our area) and the week leading up to the first day I snuck in and spread out a few handfuls of corn (not legal… Shame # 1) without him knowing. He called me the first day late afternoon and said he was ready to go, I live about 2 miles down the road and was getting in my truck and planned to just sit with him and said just head to your blind and I will be there in a few minutes. He called me back before I left my driveway and said he got one… it was walking at him as he was walking up to the blind.

when I arrived he was flustered because it didn’t just drop dead and he couldn’t find any blood. He said he thought he hit it in the chest… maybe the neck… but he could see the arrow sticking out as it ran away and didn’t know how deep it went. He said if we don’t find it he was done hunting all together. We gave it some time looking for blood and I came up with just a few drops over the 30 yards where it went into the woods. I assured him I would find it. I remember as we started into the recently logged woods it was a thicket that put other thickets to shame. About an hour on my hands and knees tracking and him right behind me we had only made it about 60 yards trying every rabbit trail to find blood. When I did assume it went a certain way I let him lead so he would find the blood before me which got him more excited and gave him a little more hope. We came up on a small creek and I saw the deer on the other side tangled up in the brush still alive. I told him to knock an arrow and finish it off. He missed… handed me the bow and asked me to finish it… I missed, twice (Shame #2) and that was all the arrows we had…. Neither of us had a knife… (shame #3) so I went in and grabbed an arrow that we missed with and put it down. Thinking I was going to turn around to him discusted with the whole event he walked over and almost started crying and said “I forgot how much fun all this was”

He has been a killing machine ever since.

Last edited:
This was long enough ago the statute of limitations let’s me tell the story. I live in a no bait state and my dad, a once dedicated hunter filling freezers of deer growing up, had not shot a deer in over 20 years (hunting all of those years but just taking his gun for a walk and hanging out with us kids) he lost his want to kill anything after my mom passed away and passed up a lot of deer over those years. Well he got himself a girlfriend that asked him to bring home some deer meat for her. I talked him into going out for archery after not even shooting his bow for the previous 10 of those years. We had a great time getting his bow set up and shooting with him over the summer to build his confidence. He kept saying he was worried he would wound one and not find it and kept telling the story about his father in laws last hunt where that happened and he was there for it. Said if he wounded one he was done hunting for good. He also doesn’t get around to well so we set him up in a blind only about 100 yards from his back door. I planted a little food plot (legal in our area) and the week leading up to the first day I snuck in and spread out a few handfuls of corn (not legal… Shame # 1) without him knowing. He called me the first day late afternoon and said he was ready to go, I live about 2 miles down the road and was getting in my truck and planned to just sit with him and said just head to your blind and I will be there in a few minutes. He called me back before I left my driveway and said he got one… it was walking at him as he was walking up to the blind.

when I arrived he was flustered because it didn’t just drop dead and he couldn’t find any blood. He said he thought he hit it in the chest… maybe the neck… but he could see the arrow sticking out as it ran away and didn’t know how deep it went. He said if we don’t find it he was done hunting all together. We gave it some time looking for blood and I came up with just a few drops over the 30 yards where it went into the woods. I assured him I would find it. I remember as we started into the recently logged woods it was a thicket that put other thickets to shame. About an hour on my hands and knees tracking and him right behind me we had only made it about 60 yards trying every rabbit trail to find blood. When I did assume it went a certain way I let him lead so he would find the blood before me which got him more excited and gave him a little more hope. We came up on a small creek and I saw the deer on the other side tangled up in the brush still alive. I told him to knock an arrow and finish it off. He missed… handed me the bow and asked me to finish it… I missed, twice (Shame #2) and that was all the arrows we had…. Neither of us had a knife… (shame #3) so I went in and grabbed an arrow that we missed with and put it down. Thinking I was going to turn around to him discusted with the whole event he walked over and almost started crying and said “I forgot how much fun all this was”

He has been a killing machine ever since.
Haha! I thought you was gonna say he got pinched for hunting over the corn you put out.

Drove an hour to my spot and had left my quiver at home.

Missed a doe 3 times at about 75 yards with a rifle that was definitely sighted in. By the third shot I was laughing out at myself and shaking like a leaf. I still don’t know why I got so shook up over that doe. I had killed a few deer in my life at that point and probably a hundred since. That’s the worst ‘buck’ fever I’ve ever had before or since.

Took a leak at the end of a trail and happened to look up right at someone’s game camera. Decided to have fun with it and did a few poses for the fans.

I have dropped a compound and a crossbow from 20+ feet.

I wear Chacos religiously.
Sometimes when I get out to the parcel I hunt I look at the tree I selected to climb, look at my stand, look back at the tree, look at the stand, hang my head in shame and climb the stand. Sometimes I wanna hunt so bad but my back is saying don’t even think about climbing that tree.
I secretly wish that @Red Beard would stop posting 2TC videos cause I really wanna climb that way but I can’t and I’m jealous.
This is shame/not shame depending how you look at it. Couple years back I harvested for my area an outstanding slickhead. Let her percolate for about an hour after I shot her, climbed down and tracked her right to where she expired. Super stoked, should fill the freezer nicely I thought. As I rolled her over saw the full teets on her belly and about that time heard her fawn start bleating and calling. Man I felt just about as bad as a fella could feel, started tearing up. I watched that doe feed for a good 30 minutes and never saw a hint of her fawn. All the while I’m field dressing her I can hear her fawn calling out and running up and down the bank of the creek looking for her. I went back to the creek and caught sight of the little guy, fortunately he was pretty big and looked like he should be weaning off so that made me feel a bit better. Still.

Back