• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Tale of The Hunt.

Seekbigger

SH Member
Just thought I would share my seasons story with anyone who was interested and like me and wants to read lol.
I started off the season with some nice bucks on camera I’m velvet so when season opened I had patterned a nice 8 point that my son was dying to get a shot at. The buck disappears for a week and while he was gone I slipped in, hung my son a lock on m, trimmed some shooting lanes and then waited for him to come back. Just as I had expected he was out rubbing off his velvet. So on the afternoon of Sept 14th the wind was perfect, my son came in from work, I told him everything was set up, get your gear and go after that buck. Sure enough things went perfect, 30 mins before dark the buck comes down the same trail as before, 20 yards broadside with a steep shot from being 30’ up, Lidge makes a great shot. After a short track job of about 100 yards we recover his target buck. Happy Happy Happy was the both of us!
25A3A8BF-FF2B-41FC-954B-BA750E792E96.jpeg
Now it’s my turn, also having several shooter bucks on camera I start the journey. I pass buck after buck after buck for weeks, not shooting any does for the freezer, waiting on the rut. During the rut once again passing several bucks that most would shoot, one of the target bucks came in but shooting light has faded and I wouldn’t chance the shot. I have been very limited on private ground and only had two small parcels of land to hunt, one I own is 38 acres and the other is the neighbors and it’s only 5 acres of woods. I know where the bucks I want are bedding but I’ve got no permission, so I continue to alternate stand locations all the way through December with about 45 sits under me in the saddle, nothing! One afternoon I was doing some blacksmith work for a family I have worked for for over 20 years and was telling him my hunting woes, the next day I get a call and was told I had permission on a 450 acre urban farm right in the city limits. I am pumped up and the farmer says I am overrun with deer, please kill some. That’s what every hunter wants to hear lol! So I go in for my first hunt, more deer tracks and poop that I have ever seen in my life. I pick a spot, my wife says you need to quit passing and start putting meat in the freezer, we only have one and we usually eat 4 or 5 a year. So long story shortened my first sit I see 2 does, the next sit I see 5 bucks and 4 does, a doe offers a shot so I took it. Freezer meat finally. Work gets me for a few days so this is the last week of our season and I’m at it hard, I go in yesterday afternoon and go sit up where I saw the bucks travel too a few days before. Sure enough 45 mins later out walks a buck, then another, then another, then another and then the biggest one, 5 bucks in a line walking straight for my shooting lane. 15 mins later I decide to take the biggest buck standing 23 yards, made contact, heart shot and watch him fall 40 yards away. Text my wife and boy and told them he wasn’t a big one but pretty nice. 20 mins later while waiting on my drag team, here come 3 does the opposite direction and walk right to the very spot I just shot the buck standing over my arrow sticking in the ground. So I pulled the string, let the arrow fly, another perfect hit, 25 yards and piles up. God Blessed me with a terrific season and I am thankful! Just thought I would share for anyone interested, thanks for reading and God Bless!
367A0630-B39E-497A-B4EC-E52336987DE2.jpeg5F98F401-9583-4F08-812E-4062AD1DD24E.jpeg

Always love to hear a good hunting story! Congrats to you and your son! I'm betting you'll be thoroughly scouting that new farm post season.

Always love to hear a good hunting story! Congrats to you and your son! I'm betting you'll be thoroughly scouting that new farm post season.
I for sure will be scouting and putting up some presets as well. I have 3 shooters on camera at my private farms at home so since I didn’t get a chance this year at one of those good scoring bucks, I expect them to be much bigger next season. I always work to get my son, who is now 17 on a good buck first, then I set in hard trying to get a trophy. At the end of season I will take a lesser buck if I need too, they taste better than tag soup lol.

Love the stories. Thanks for sharing and oh man what a nice 8 point your boy shot. You didn't happen to put a tape to that rack did you?

congrats to you and your son. Sounds like a great season. Sometimes grinding it out till the end makes those harvests even more special.

Just wanted to share what kind of damage these grim reaper broad heads do: I’ve taken 6 deer and 1 turkey personally using these and all fell within 50 yards, one on a low liver shot and still fell quickly.
Also every broad head was still working after every recovery, no broken or bent blades! Very devastating and tough!
3996AAEB-C935-4389-9988-45B648434991.jpegC5EF11E1-39B2-461D-8DE0-5010AB86A49A.jpeg65AA8118-D517-4BC5-BACD-AF79AFAB7F5B.jpeg

Back