• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Things I have learned thus far!

bigman

Ok here is a short list of things I have learned so far while saddle hunting.

1) Dog and dog hunters suck!!
2) Hip squeeze is real, for bigmen it's much worse!
3) Climbing isn't as easy as it used to be, even with added advantages of new gear and techniques!
4) Continue my diet and exercise regiment and get down as much as possible before next hunting season begins and keep that cardiac and strength training up!
5) Hike to your sit with as few clothes on as possible and dress after you cool down a bit at tree!
6) Invest in some knee boots as land without dogs is a LONGWAY away from dry land!!
7) Consider killing said dogs on my private property...I won't but it makes me HOT!!
8) Game wardens are no help with trespassing either by dogs or people who own them!
9) Older eyes suck, especially when you have dirty glasses!
10) Get better binoculars that I can actually see through with my glasses!
11) Climbing rated rope and carabiners are the real deal!!
12) Having BPH sucks when you finally get positioned and you have to go...every 5 minutes
13) Gods beauty is awesome in your saddle, trees, birds, deer, squirrels, coons, turkeys, etc., dogs not so much
14 Please See #1
15 I will do this kind of hunting until I can't!!

eliminate the problem. I feel strongly that dog owners need to keep there pets put up just as much as I do. ask my neighbor where his doberman went. unless they have a legal right to just let there dogs run?

Have to agree with pretty much all of your findings.

I too had run ins with dogs on our private land this year as well. A pair ran through the "sanctuary" of the property, chasing 3 deer along the way. As far as I'm concerned, deal with the as you see fit. Luckily for these two, it was bow season, and they were out of range. The following week was gun season, and would they have made an appearance again, it would have likely been there last.

I don't want to by any means dispatch dogs, but too much blood, sweat, and tears go into a successful hunting season, long before the season even starts, to have it ruined by a couple of muts in 5 minutes. Also, these were not known dogs to the area. No collars, and no recollection of them. I am aware of the dogs the neighbors have, and should one have them gotten loose, yes it would suck, but I would not have reacted the same. Believe me, the neighbor would have gotten a talking to for sure.

Its a best judgement scenario. if my memory serves me correct, in my state, a dog chasing deer was legal to engage, not sure if that has changed or not.

I would just go to your neighbors and let them know you started trapping and setting snares for yotes and you don’t want anything to happen to their beloved pets

That's the problem with dog hunters and dog hunting clubs. There are literally 100's of them out every Friday and Saturday. I wouldn't even know them all. And to top it off when I called the warden he said I can get in trouble for trapping, killing, or even penning their dogs. A local lawyer here sued the hell out of them many years ago and they won't even go near his property and I called him and he said he could help... for a 5000.00 dollar retainer and at least another 10000.00 after that, because as he said they band together and all dump money as a group to whoever is their defense and all I have is me.
He did suggest I could petition my state Senators and Representatives to possibly get the law changed but he said it is a very long shot!

Back