• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thinking I need to upgrade my tree tether rope.

As in a sling

I’ve been using my HSS tree rope as my main tether to the tree. It’s probably about 4 years old now, and looking into it, I can’t find a kN rating on it. And someone on amazon responded to a question saying it only had a 1000 lb weight rating. None of this gives me the warm fuzzys. Since I’m planning to redo my bridge in a non funhouse color scheme and ditch the knots for lockstitched spliced eyes, would it make sense to get a good quality 10 mm rope for both purposes ?

i like 8mm my self packs away smaller an more than strong enough

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm using 8mm oplux it has over 4000lbs strength and is durable and light.

I also have been using oplux and really like it. I tied a bridge on my wife's kite and the figure 8s are very small and compact. Wow man 4 years on the same rope is a pretty long time.

I also have been using oplux and really like it. I tied a bridge on my wife's kite and the figure 8s are very small and compact. Wow man 4 years on the same rope is a pretty long time.
I know , I don’t get like a ton of days to hunt, it’s not like I get 30 plus sits in a season or anything but it’s life in general I think is done. I’ve never considered using 8mm, that’s what my prusiks are. Honestly I could probably switch to 11mm predator and it’s still going to be way lighter than the HSS rope. That thing weighs a ton !

Last edited:
I know , I don’t get like a ton of days to hunt, it’s not like I get 30 plus sits in a season or anything but it’s life in general I think is done. I’ve never considered using 8mm, that’s what my prusiks are. Honestly I could probably switch to 11mm predator and it’s still going to be way lighter than the HSS rope. That thing weighs a ton !

Yeah. Predator is good rope and can be bought relatively cheap

I was running HSS as my tether until a couple weeks ago. It’s indeed a heavy rope for only 1000# breaking (I think the honest rating is more like 1800# but that’s not for consumers). It’s GREAT for lineman’s belts because they’re cheap to replace and your LB isn’t subject to the same “steady stress” as your tether. I run two HSS as my primary and backup LB now, and I bought a tether from Tethrd to put my mind at ease with the hefty 6000# (I think) rating on the Tethrd rope.
I’m going to purchase some Predator from Wesspur when it’s back in stock myself. If you’re going to make your own tether with Predator, get Wesspur to splice an eye in that bad boy for a few extra bucks.

Oplux is the bees knees. Only downside if you can call it that is the sheath isnt the most durable on the market but it's a tradeoff I'll take all day since it's such a thin and strong rope.

I was amazed by how affordable predator is by the foot. I don’t need a ton of it. I checked the website and it says it’s in stock by the foot. I’ll have to call probably though.

Well I ended up getting some 1/2” double braid rope for my tether, and some 1/4” amsteel blue in black color for my bridge from R&W rope. Going to probably work out a longer and a shorter bridge length and keep both with me. The 1/2 inch rope is big, but it’s gonna have a good bite on the tree and my prusiks will lock down on it nicely as well, so it’s worth it being a bit on the chunky side. Still gonna beat the hell out of carrying in my climber stand.

Back